Skip to content

Step by step guide for dual class transition

Hello everyone

I've been looking everywhere but it seems I can't find any decent step-by-step guide for the transition between let's say fighter and mage.

When I switch to dual class at lvl 9 my kensai looses all of his earlier proficiency points. I read somewhere that the character somehow retrieves his earlier spent pps, but no one seems to explain how this actually works.

So this is where I'm at right now:

My kensai has 5* @ katana and 2* @ two weapon style

When I go dual class he get's a new proficiency point and I have to spend it on quarterstaff, dagger, sling, dart and some other pretty useless weapons. However, I must spend my prof. point so I guess I have to go with the quarterstaff.

Now my character has lost his grand master katana skills and he is a no good dual weapon wielder.

What happens now? Am I supposed to level up to some specific level before I get my grand mastery back?

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    You must level up to one level higher than the level you dual-classed at. In this instance 10. At that point, your Kensai abilities, proficiencies, and the like will all reactivate.
    And you'll be a powerhouse.
    Until then, don't go dual-wielding, and remember that any proficiency points you add as a mage before level 10 will NOT stack with any you added as a Kensai, so wait until afterward to add that third pip, (though honestly I wouldn't bother wasting a proficiency point on it - two is enough).
    GuitardethJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • GuitardethGuitardeth Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot jackjack!

It's pretty impressive that this forum is so active.
    jackjackSCARY_WIZARDJuliusBorisov
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Happy to help. Welcome to the forums :D
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    Remember that you shouldn't put proficiency in weapons you already did so with your old class.

Let's take a look at it like this.

Kensai

** Quarter Staff
    * Sling
    *** Katana

Mage

* Quarter staff
    * Dagger
    * Sling

You would end up with

** Quarter Staff
    * Sling
    * Dagger
    *** Katana

So you'll lose out on two proficiency points. Make sure that when level up your Kensai don't pick proficiency slots that you'll end up taking on your mage.

Kensai

***** Katana
    ** Short Sword
    ** Dual Wield

Mage

* Quarter Staff
    * Sling
    * Dagger

You would end up with

***** Katana
    ** Short Sword
    ** Dual wield
    * Quarter Staff
    * Sling
    * Dagger

Once you regain your old class (Kensai) you'll be able to put your proficiency points like you did on your fighter, so you're not stuck to the mage selection and you'll be able to put points all the way up to 5 proficiency again.
    jackjackBlackravenFlashburn
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Kensai can't put proficiency points into a pure ranged weapon like dart or sling anyway. Only dagger or quarterstaff proficiencies may conflict when you dual into a mage. When you dual into a mage I think you may be able to put proficiency into a sling or dart but it is a trap! You won't be able to equip a dart or sling.
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovjackjack