Skip to content

Dark Moon Monk Build Question

Hey everyone!

I haven't really had a chance to play BG2EE since its release (excluding a few drunk nights with buddies in Multiplayer) but now that I am no longer playing MMOs I figured it is time to get into it.

It has been ages since I played BG2 so most of the story will seem like new to me which has me really excited. Normally, in IE games (or any games with choice) I end up being a goodie goodie fighter or sorcerer and this time I figured I would go WAY different by going with a bad guy. Not only a bad guy but a bad guy dark moon monk! Dun dun dun!!!!

So far I am liking it but never really used the monk before in any D&D game (computer or P&P) and had a question about Detect Illusions. I heard wonderful things about DI and never really used it so I figured since I am going so drastically different why not use it. So I dumped most of points into it without really thinking it over and was curious as to if I would be better off adjusting my stats so that I get my stealth benefits first and then adventuring into DI. Is there much benefit to having it early on or should I BG Keeper it to HiS and MS? Any input would be appreciated!

Comments

• mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Regarding the monk skills :

The issue with HIS/MS is that they take forever to get to decent levels with a monk. And since they have no backstab they don't get that much out of it.
    Find trap is kinda useless with them since they cannot disarm.
    Detect illusion is a great skill and should reach 100 in no time (no need to build it higher).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Detect Illusions is, IMO, the best feature of the class. Hiding/Moving Silently is nice because you can then scout, quite effectively even, traps notwithstanding, but it's no contest between those and DI. Dark Moon Monks are my favorite Monks.