Skip to content

Should there be an introduction to pvp in the Baldur's gate series?

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I don't know if this has already been implemented but I would love to be able to test my Baldur's gate smarts against other players or do some epic 6v6 team battles with my friends. It would open up a whole new field of strategy for Baldur's gate fans to test themselves out with.

The only way I see it making into Baldur's gate is the black pits. The black pits allows you to create your own party and your pitted against challenges. What if those challenges included other players as well? Something to think about....
  1. Should there be an introduction to pvp in the Baldur's gate series?159 votes
    1. There should definitely be pvp consideration in Baldur's gate!!
      35.22%
    2. No Baldur's gate pvp would not work at all.
      64.78%

Comments

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Pvp would be seriously awesome. Will finally put an end to these endless Char X vs Y theorycrafting threads.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    PvP in Black Pits sounds good, thought I'm usually not interested in PvP.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Always wished for epic mage duels at the Firewine Bridge
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2012
    It could be introduced for all I care, but it just wouldn't work :/
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Don't see how it would work, and have absolutely no interest in pvp. The pause to adjust would have to go away, and the game engine/GUI isn't set up to compensate.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I'm almost certain that PvP is being introduced with the Black Pits and the improved multiplayer. Personally, I'm really looking forward pitting my party against those of my friends.

PvP is a feature which would attract the current generation of gamers, as well as giving grognards the chance to show those young'ins how it's done.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    No. I don't see it working in BG's current state. Maybe in a future iteration where the gameplay could probably handle it and it was more intuitive, but right now I think it would be too much of a nightmare to implement and play.

Besides I couldn't care less about PvP. There's enough of that crap in so many games these days and few really seem to bring anything interesting, fresh or new to the table.
  • Though I'm not against the idea of PvP in general, Baldur's Gate is a storyline- and decision-driven game. Every time you start a new game and interact with NPCs differently, it changes the environment statically. It's not like EVE or WOW where real time is experienced and things change 24/7. One can join another player's game, already in progress but only as a member of their party. Game mechanics require it.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    For me BG is pve game not pvp if we talk about multi another World of Warcraft clone no thx.
    Actually WoW is pve, and so is Eve. And so is BG2, you can play it teamed up in multiplayer since day one. This isnt an MMO and never will be, pvp is there to compare and brag with builds.

>and few really seem to bring anything interesting, fresh or new to the table.

A 100% clone remake of a 10yo game isnt exactly fresh dont you agree. Bringing a pvp component into it IS something fresh and new, and is a pretty demanding feature. Just look at all these "X vs Y" and "The best party is XYZ" threads. People want to compare and test their ideas against others.

PvP would be a real incentive to get this game for everyone, both for new players and experienced players and make the game something more than just a remake.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    It would require total re-balances and I don't want that with this game. It's not what it is about, if by pvp you mean only "allowing pcs to kill each other" for fun, why not? As long as there is no balance whining later.
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    A fighter dualed to Mage:
    Robe of Vecna, Power amulet. Shapeshift! Timestop! Transform to mindflayer! Whirlwind! Attack! Splat!
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Roller12 said:

Actually WoW is pve, and so is Eve. And so is BG2, you can play it teamed up in multiplayer since day one. This isnt an MMO and never will be, pvp is there to compare and brag with builds.

>and few really seem to bring anything interesting, fresh or new to the table.

A 100% clone remake of a 10yo game isnt exactly fresh dont you agree. Bringing a pvp component into it IS something fresh and new, and is a pretty demanding feature. Just look at all these "X vs Y" and "The best party is XYZ" threads. People want to compare and test their ideas against others.

PvP would be a real incentive to get this game for everyone, both for new players and experienced players and make the game something more than just a remake.

Exactly! I have a really great party build myself and it pretty much owns all npc's in bg. Having to test my party against other parties would be totally killer!!

Wolfheart said:

Robe of Vecna, Power amulet. Shapeshift! Timestop! Transform to mindflayer! Whirlwind! Attack! Splat!

Every duel doesn't have to be epic leveled. Would be so much fun!

Just make it so both players have a pause every 5 seconds or so.. So it wont be one huge pause after pause fight..
    And why would people NOT want to have an extra feature in the game? They don't have to duel against anyone..

It's like saying you don't want free fries with your burger because YOU don't like it. Although your friend next to you wouldn't mind
    edited August 2012
    Wolfheart said:

But that is only an opinion is it not. What would actually happen is a GWW with a ranged weapon with poison projectiles, disrupting time stop and any following spell, killing such an adventurous mage. If having access to insect plague, even better.

There are quite a lot of variables here. And the only way to test it reliably is a pvp arena.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    This isn't the kind of game that is well suited to pvp, co-op is doable, but pvp wouldn't work well.
    Still doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't bring anything new or revolutionary to the PvP scene. Yes, it would be new to BG, but that doesn't mean it would add anything substantial to PvP.
    No, it wouldn't. PvP wouldn't be a selling point with BG. I'm skeptical at how well it could be implemented (not to mention it would take up development time best spent elsewhere) and besides that not everyone cares for PvP and it clearly wouldn't be the main selling point of Baldur's Gate which would be sold on its singleplayer story and gameplay.
  • BaldurBaldur Member Posts: 54
    First WASD controls, now PvP.. people really fail to realize exactly what it is people enjoyed about the Black Isle series of RPGs, and what it was that made them the memorable, must-buy games that we all grew to know and love, don't they? Just so it's clear: PvP wasn't one of them. And I don't see any reason why we'd need to have such an awesome series sell out to the lowest common denominator just like every other low-brow RPG that's out there today has.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Without turning it into a turn based game (with autopausing at the end of the round) I don't see how pvp could fairly work. I mean spellcasters would be at a disadvantage if they had to rummage through spells to attack with.
    All spells are mappable via configuration program so shouldnt be a problem.

@RedGuard
    I can totally imagine if two guys are playing on their iPads them wanting to play either together or vs each other. Unfortunately we all know the single player story by now, so hey, why not.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    As I see it, the PvP could be awesome, but it should be done right, with two modes available :

1) Dynamic-combat : No pauses from either of the player, it's just concentration working as fast as possible and clicking the right spells or abilities at the rightest of times.

2) Turn-based : Or better, round based - every 6 seconds the game pauses automatically to then have the players issue the orders around to defeat the others. Once all players have hit the space bar, the next round begins (orders can still be issued while the game is not paused)
  • KyonKyon Member Posts: 128
    PvP in BGEE is really awesome idea :)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    PvP in BGEE is an awesome idea, if they could figure out a way to put it into code right, then it would be awesome(On multiplayer of course)
    All spells are mappable via configuration program so shouldnt be a problem.

@RedGuard
    I can totally imagine if two guys are playing on their iPads them wanting to play either together or vs each other. Unfortunately we all know the single player story by now, so hey, why not.
    @Roller12
    At this point I agree to disagree dude. I just don't think the demand is there (not everyone picking up BG will be old fans like us), not a lot of people looking for a RPG experience want a PvP one.
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    I don't get it. How would you play pvp in a game with Multiplayer limited to 6 player?
    What i always loved about BG1/2 is, that it is not about competition - but about cooperation of characters. No leagues. No tournaments. In my opinion pvp does absolutely 100% NOT fit to the tradition of BG.

If there was a mmorpg in style of BG - then maybe it would work. But i seriously doubt that such a thing would not take away the soul / spirit of Baldurs Gate.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    at the core, Baldur's Gate IS D&D...and D&D (good D&D) has always been about cooperation. warrior/rogue/wizard/priest, working together and balancing each others strengths and weaknesses to get the job done together.

This modern-age PVP nonsense does not belong in D&D
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    Despite the obvious need for some balancing in the use of items and class combinations (Kensai/Mage with Robe of Vecna, no thanks), I think it would be a fun addition. I notice that some say that it would corrupt the integrity of BG's RPG core, but keep in mind that any PvP in the game would merely be a fun side activity rather than an important part of the game as is the case in many MMOs. It would be neither required nor a replacement for the game's core as an RPG - just a fun side activity that one can choose to participate in or not (sort of like the Black Pits in general).

And personally, I'd love for the chance to prove that my character build is better than somebody elses. :P
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    OOOOOOOOOOOO man. PvP woud be sweet. Primarily just so I could crush all you chumps and lay waste to the internet landscape.

Ok, so that was kind of a joke. It sounds interesting . . . and what's the point of life if not to do something interesting?
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    I don't see a good reason as to why this couldn't happen in some sort of arena environment (not open world PVP for obvious reasons). For those saying that this has no place in Baldur's Gate, I think that it fits nicely. Arena fighting is a persistent game mechanic in the second game. If it could be done pve, I don't see why it couldn't be done pvp even with full pausing in place.

I dont think it has to be very complex either, no re-balancing really needed. Just two (or more?) friends going at it for fun to see which build is better. Sounds like a blast to me. This goes right along with the gambling suggestion - there should be more diversionary mechanics in the game to complement the adventuring grind.