Skip to content

Steam version unstable.

Bulletcatcher77Bulletcatcher77 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Recently I bought both BG:EE and BG2:EE on Steam. Currently I am regretting that in the sense that the Steam version of BG2:EE seems to have some major problems.

First of all on Shadows of Amn, when I load up the games and hit the 'single player' tab on the BG2:EE screen, the game crashes (as in totally locks up). While there is an error message, I can never read it as once I get into task manager I have to stop the game running before I can do anything else with my pc because the crash leaves me with a black screen.

On Throne of Bhaal everything seems to work until I try to send my characters out of the area where cespenar hangs around into the first city the background and my party load but all the NPC's don't appear and I am left hanging there with a mouse pointer I can move around, no controls and no response to hitting the escape key. My only way out of this has either been through Task Manager or Alt+F4 (which does work as it brings up the 'Boo will miss you' message).

I have tried all the obvious steps such as rebooting my pc, verifying game cache, re-downloading/installing the game and searching the forums multiple times.

Comments

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    It's worth emptying your override folder before trying to run the game, since the same thing that happened to you also happened to me because of the STARTARE.2DA from the exp cap remover for the first game messed up the beginning of the game.
  • Bulletcatcher77Bulletcatcher77 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    There is no override folder attached to the game in the Steam version. The ones I can see are _CommonRedist, data, lang, movies, music and scripts. They are in the location Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    In your documents folder there should be a sub-folder for the game. With the game closed rename the baldur.ini file which is in there. Starting the game up again should create a new version, does that help at all.
  • Bulletcatcher77Bulletcatcher77 Member Posts: 3
    Nope. I renamed the file to Baldurold.ini. It still does the same thing, as in crash once you select create charecter.