Skip to content

Staff of the Magi problem

Okay, has anyone noticed that when you dismiss a character while they're equipped with the Staff of the Magi, they're totally gone from where they're supposed to wait, because they're invisible? And... then they're really hard to recruit again?

Is there a way to get someone back after you do this?

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited April 2014
    Lol... Never had this happen. Staff of the Magi is party loot ;)
    Anyway I'm not sure if the staff's Invisibility can be dispelled on a neutral (non-attcking) character. I know that a character attacking with the staff becomes visible, but that's different.
    Have you tried the different detection spells? (True Sight, Glitterdust, etc)?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    You may just have to cast a fireball or something in their area making them hostile and then ctrl-Q them once they reveal themselves.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Just use true sight (Level 5 arcane/divine spell) ?
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    SionIV said:

It doesn't affect allied or neutral creatures, my dearest unenlightenable.
    Loub said:

SionIV said:

But Invisibility purge (Level 3 divine) does.
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    SionIV said:

Loub said:

SionIV said:

Er... I don't have time to check, but I'm pretty sure it still doesn't, given the fact that its description states it only affects hostiles, at least according to my personal annotations. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure inactive party members, even though not in the group, still count as 'allies', and as such, wouldn't be affected even if it affected neutrals.

Wouldn't a simple 'Dispel Magic' work, though?
    edited April 2014
    Loub said:

SionIV said:

Loub said:

SionIV said:

Er... I don't have time to check, but I'm pretty sure it still doesn't, given the fact that its description states it only affects hostiles, at least according to my personal annotations. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure inactive party members, even though not in the group, still count as 'allies', and as such, wouldn't be affected even if it affected neutrals.

Wouldn't a simple 'Dispel Magic' work, though?
    Invisibility purge, level 3 divine spell.

"ANY invisible creature within the area of affect has their invisibility dispelled. This includes creatures under the effect of Sanctuary, Improved invisible and Shadow door."
  • tedthefedtedthefed Member Posts: 3
    Dispel magic and invisibility purge don't work. A fireball works.... uh, but then she becomes hostile and starts trying to wail on me with the staff that's causing the problem in the first place.
    edited April 2014
    tedthefed said:

Dispel magic and invisibility purge don't work. A fireball works.... uh, but then she becomes hostile and starts trying to wail on me with the staff that's causing the problem in the first place.

If Invisibility purge doesn't work then it's a bug with the spell. Did you stand next to her when you used it?

What about teleportation field, web, stinking cloud?

And you could try to recruit Keldorn and use his dispel magic on her?

• tedthefedtedthefed Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    Keldorn's dispel magic works! Thanks. I think it's kind of character appropriate that Imoen caused this problem.
    tedthefed said:

Keldorn's dispel magic works! Thanks.

You're welcome. Keldorn is an Inquisitor so his dispel magic is twice his level when it comes to how powerful it is, making it much more powerful than a normal dispel magic from a cleric or mage.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'm not poking fun, but you gave me a hearty laugh xD
    Glad to see you worked things out.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    What @jackjack said. No offense, but this was just hilarious, and I'm happy it turned out well.

Two things: 1) Definitely a lapse on the part of the game designers. 2) But an understandable lapse, because surely nobody expected this to happen, and it's a bit far-fetched to expect anyone would have even thought of this.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Permidian Dragonslayer's (Long Sword+2 double daage vs Dragons) Detect Invisible ability works.
    CrevsDaak said:

Permidian Dragonslayer's (Long Sword+2 double daage vs Dragons) Detect Invisible ability works.

Is there a reason for Invisibility purge not working? That's either a bug or should have it's description changed.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    It is just scripted wrong, I assume.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @xzar_monty: I don't think this is a lapse - the BG series has always allowed the player to make mistakes, and pay the cost, it is part of the charm of the series. While I don't think this particular feature was deliberately designed in, I don't think a quick-fix would have been supplied if drawn to their attention (can't know for sure - just guessing from the feel of the game). The fact we have discovered a working solution with the tools available to the player, without resorting to the console, shows that the system is generally working, and no further fix is needed.

And as Jackjack says, this is definitely a great laughing-with-you-not-at-you moment :)