Skip to content

Mendas, the bugged assassin in Candlekeep Ch.1

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
edited April 2014 in BG:EE Mods
So in my custom party while playing multiplayer by myself I ran into Reevor's (the dwarf with the rat infestation in Candlekeep) storeroom and aggro'd the rats as usual. Realizing that I forgot to talk to Reevor to start the quest, I immediately turned and left and talked to Reevor to activate the quest. While this was going on the 'fight music' was still playing, but that's common.

However, once I reentered the Storehouse, a man by the name of 'Mendas' greeted me and threatened my life. His dialogue matched exactly like that of Karlat (the assassin within the Red Sheaf in Beregost) and then he attacked me. Quickly dispatching him, I gathered up his loot and he had the same Bounty Notice scroll that Karlat carries with him. The rats, cats, and the loot within the building were unchanged.

I didn't think of taking any pictures of my assailant before or during the fight, but I thought about it afterwards and took some pics of the scroll and some info from the chat bar to try and help. Mendas had the same model as a human thief, well he was a tall thick man with a hood, so I believe he was a human thief.

Hope this helps, I'll attempt to upload the pictures in order of what transpired and I'll explain them too.

This is of me walking into Reevor's the first time. Mendas was not there.

This is when I realized that I forgot to talk to Reevor for the quest. I left the building, talked to him, reentered building, and BOOM! Assassin!!

There's Mendas's dialogue. Exactly the same as Karlat's.

There's Mendas's expierence that I recieved after killing him.

There's the scroll that Mendas had on him.

And lastly as I type this up and uploaded the pictures, I just realized that I have the Dark Horizon mod installed. I completely forgot about this and I hope that that doesn't invalidate my issue. If so I'll just crawl into a corner and fetal position...

EDIT: Your discussion got picked up by the spam filter, presumably due to the BBCode tags. Apologies for the delay. — Troodon80.
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I haven't encountered this before. It could be similar to what others reported in BG2:EE, where NPCs turned up in seemingly random locations. @CoM_Solaufein‌ is the creator of the Dark Horizon mod, if I recall, so perhaps some light can be shed on whether it affects this NPC.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    edited April 2014
    Wiggles is right, it's the Dark Horizons mod. I checked the mod's code. It spawns the assassin in Reevor's storehouse.

This does not happen in the unmodded game.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited April 2014
    Moved to BG:EE Mods. Since this is to do with Dark Horizons, one can assume it is probably intentional.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Ok, well at least I know it's the mod and not the vanilla game. Thanks to both of you.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Wow that mod makes Reevor a treacherous (or dumb) little bugger. He could have said something. Or maybe the Reevor has already been replaced by a doppleganger...
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2014
    Certainly the same name, but think that it is coincidence. The assassin is certainly from Dark Horizons which I have just uninstalled as it unbalances the game. It is worthwhile playing it two or three times though. Do not read any spoilers. If you are not expecting them, it is far more fun.