My first Non Fighter/Mage Protagonist.

Rolled up a 93pt Ranger/Cleric: Reuben Pathfinder
Strength---18/72
Dex-------18
Con-------16
Intel-------12
Wisdom----17
Charisma---12

Now we are resting at FAI after retrieving Joia's Ring and a nifty outing with the Green-Belted Ogre. This time the Ogre saved twice against Entangle. I completely forgot that Charname now has Command: Die and we still managed to Manouver long enough to put him away with Khalid taking a couple of serious hits. I hate Morningstars.

This playthrough I think I will not have Ajantis in the Chap 1-2 party and may enjoy Garrick's company and RP values. He seems like someone that will be content to weave in and out of the story as long as he can be hooked up with an Inn/Tavern locale. And as a source of grapevine information could easily explain Party decisions.

Going to try for something a little less intense. There is something about imagining a Fighter/Mage discovering his nature in the midst of long-term peril that is IMHO really intimidating. Ranger/Cleric is a much more natural class for this Old-time Appalachian Trail Hiker.

Cheers!
elminsterBlackraven[Deleted User]lunar

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    How come you only picked 16 constitution? I'm confused.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited April 2014
    I probably am too. Wanted to minimize the Min/Max this time so put meaningless pts into Intel and Charisma. Is there some point to Const of 17 or more other than fatigue and extra HP at levelling?? I am no expert on these matters.

I am planning a Level-up constraint where each Party member will PnP roll 3d6 before Levelling. If that total is higher than their lowest Stat then they will have to accept their first Level-up result instead of my normal practice of reloading until best or best-1 HP score turns up.

That should spice things up a bit...!
    elminsterSionIVBlackravenlunar
    edited April 2014
    Are you playing an elf or half elf? You'll gain more health from having 17 (elf) constitution, 18 (half-elf) would be even better and then with the tome you'll hit 19 constitution which grants you even more.

It's perfectly fine to play with 16 CON and you'll not suffer that much for it, was just curious with such a high roll why you ended up with 16 CON.

If you're going with random rolls for HP, you'll probably want to get as high constitution as you can.

A ranger gets 1-10 when he levels up, so in worst case you'll get 1 health. Now you add the constitution on top.

CON 16 = 1 (base) + 2 HP.
    CON 17 = 1 (base) + 3 HP.
    CON 18 = 1 (base) + 4 HP.
    CON 19 = 1 (base) + 5 HP.

If you're getting maximum HP on level up it isn't that important, but it will make it less frustrating for you if you're going with random HP on level up.
    elminsterBlackraven
    Probably because my imagination really hooks into the game and I felt my Charname was much more like a 16 Con with at least 12 Intelligence and 12 Charisma. A psychological rather than strategic choice.

Without a doubt I am clueless about how much difference extra Hit Points make when you get to ToB for example.
    SionIVBlackravenjackjackSCARY_WIZARD

Probably because my imagination really hooks into the game and I felt my Charname was much more like a 16 Con with at least 12 Intelligence and 12 Charisma. A psychological rather than strategic choice.

Without a doubt I am clueless about how much difference extra Hit Points make when you get to ToB for example.

You're playing a very powerful class, you shouldn't have much problem at any point of the game.
    BlackravenQuartz
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Eadwyn_G8keeper, as the others said, your stats are fine (even if not maximized). I hope your first non-Fighter/Mage experience will be a nice one. I also like your rule about levelling up.
    Have fun :)
    Eadwyn_G8keeper
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Funny coincidence, I just rolled a cleric/ranger yesterday, with str 16 dex 18 con 17 int 12 wis 16 cha 18. Real pleased with the guy, he is such a handsome fellow too, as can be understood from his cha score. I started right from bg2, though. My first time ever trying a ranger/cleric too, I always hated blunt weapon only restriction. But in bg2, I figure there are awesome blunt weapons. This guy was designed to dual wield flail of the ages and crom faeyr. :drool: mace of disruption will come in handy against level draining horrors, too.
    Blackravenjackjack
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    You'll do fine with 16 Con. There will be opportunities to boost it, above and beyond Draw Upon Holy Might.

I love Command especially because it's pretty balanced. The enemy doesn't stay down long, just for a round (6 seconds).

You should really enjoy the ranger/cleric @Eadwyn. Have fun!
    lunar
    I am already missing Compound Bow though. On the other hand not wondering about whether I am just going to wear armor tomorrow or plan to shed it for some timely spell casting is much less of a strain on my sense of "Yeah. THAT could happen!"

For example -going offpoint totally--
    F/M Level 1-2: "~Oh, look that must be Prism, the sculptor Dandal told us about. Scary stuff!!
    Better take off my armor in case he wants me to pose for a quick sketch or something...LOLol"

R/C Level 1-2: "~I'm hungry! That guy looks like he should be selling popcorn at the Carnival. Yawn.."
    BlackravenSCARY_WIZARDjackjack
    edited May 2014
    SionIV said:

Are you playing an elf or half elf? You'll gain more health from having 17 (elf) constitution, 18 (half-elf) would be even better and then with the tome you'll hit 19 constitution which grants you even more.

It's perfectly fine to play with 16 CON and you'll not suffer that much for it, was just curious with such a high roll why you ended up with 16 CON.

If you're going with random rolls for HP, you'll probably want to get as high constitution as you can.

A ranger gets 1-10 when he levels up, so in worst case you'll get 1 health. Now you add the constitution on top.

CON 16 = 1 (base) + 2 HP.
    CON 17 = 1 (base) + 3 HP.
    CON 18 = 1 (base) + 4 HP.
    CON 19 = 1 (base) + 5 HP.

If you're getting maximum HP on level up it isn't that important, but it will make it less frustrating for you if you're going with random HP on level up.

@SionIV: I finally got your point and also @Elminster's point about DUHM. The main benefit for higher than 15 Con kicks in for minimal/no reloaders when subpar +HP results from punching the Level Up button.

So far I am totally OK with overruling ADD world rules and using Max or Max-1 totals as my norm. If an NPC's seriously wounded script has been triggered during the level completed or if that NPC has been seriously poisoned or ressurected then I aim lower and might even reload a Max HP. I also penalize [50%] any actual intra-party fighting [both parties] at next level-up.

The current thread on Let's Talk about Constitution is very helpful.

I started another R/C with a roll of 89: True-eyed Parthenor
    Strength: 18/96
    Dexterity: 17
    Constitution: 17
    Intelligence: 10
    Wisdom: 17
    Charisma: 10

I like the high strength even though Tome makes all '18's equal. And now begin to see a clear Walkthrough plan that satisfies my RP demands very nicely. It has really, really helped to tally up XP totals normally available in all the maps prior to Chap. 5.

Jaheira and Khalid will exit on Harper's business after Level 2-3 party has completed Nashkel Mines. Chap 3 Party will only be 5 members: Charname, Imoen, Kivan, Minsc, Dynaheir [wSleepWand]. Imoen will Dual-class at Level 5 after completion of Bandit Camp with a level 3-4 party.

When Charname hits Level 4/3 we will recruit Level 5/5 Coran as 6th Party member because I want to have his great Urban Stealth ability and am quite willing to roleplay ignorance of how poor his trap-finding really is. He will also make it just possible for me to credibly exploit Dushai in Ulgoth's Beard. Just dumb luck that Imoen gets her Thief abilities back before we explore the Cloakwoods.

Coran 'as-is', without a single point invested in Traps, ALSO doesn't have proficiency in any Backstabbing weapons. IMHO, can only be explained as a juicy offering to whet the appetites of BG-Modding community.... Lose the irritating overkill Archery Mastery and 20 Dex, adjust his alignment to true Neutral, at least 40%Traps, 1 pip in Short Sword.. and Voila! -Super-Thief with more than enough Robin Hood remaining!!!

Thanks for all comments! Cheers!
    Post edited by Eadwyn_G8keeper on