Skip to content

I created the world.

ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
So I wanted to try something different today. Naturally, I created the entire world of Abeir-Toril. =)

You can see Faerûn, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, and a tiny bit of Maztica popping in on the left side.

Just call me Ao.

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Nice! Are you going to model the other side as well?
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    It's already been done, actually. ^^ But considering how long it took to render, I figured I could get away with just showing the side with all the important bits.
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    Oh. OH. This is really pretty and gives imagination an enormous kick :] May I ask what tools did you use to make this?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    winters said:

May I ask what tools did you use to make this?

His bare hands and the power of the Gods.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    @winters What Crev said. :P

Also, Bryce 7 and PS CS6. It's probably the first 3D model I have done, where 95% of the time wasn't spent in the modeling software, but in PS in order to create the texture map. Once that was done, the Bryce stuff was trivial to say the least.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2014
    @Zanian‌ , awesome work, dude. (Or dudette?)

It strikes me how much that globe map looks like a zoom-in on Eurasia, only with Africa missing to the south.

I've found that almost all fantasy world maps are based on the geographical shape of Europe, with the more "exotic" places very strongly resembling coastlines around the Mediterranean Sea, and "remote islands" looking like either Australia, or a remote, barely known "New World", i.e. North America. That's kind of understandable, I suppose, since most Western high fantasy imagination is spawned from the King Arthur set of legends centered in England, combined with Norse mythology from the Netherlands and Germany, Greco-Roman mythology from Italy and Greece, and a dash of Egyptian mythology for spiciness.

Below is a shot of the planet upon which the entire Might and Magic series takes place, from MMVI and HoMM I, up through HoMM III. Notice again the resemblance to the Mediterranean coastline, although, since most of the western coast of that largest continental mass in the northern hemisphere is desert terrain, it could also be modeled on North America.

We write and create what we know, I suppose. A real Earth-like planet somewhere out there that is not Earth, would surely have a continental arrangement that bears no resemblance whatsoever to real-life Earth - or would it? Either we have a failure of imagination when creating fantasy planets, or, the laws of physics tend to cause all Earth-like planets everywhere to follow a similar geographical path of development.

BTW, upon studying the globe of Faerun that you provide further, I am struck with seeing an even stronger resemblance to the west coast of Europe. Icewind Dale appears to be positioned in what would be Sweden and Norway, moving down into France and Spain. (In fact, it looks like the common tongue of the Sword Coast is likely French, from that map, while the common tongue of Amn would be Spanish.) There is even a small chain of islands in the near western sea that could be Britania - perhaps first discovered by "Baldur", and overrun with werewolves in the version of it we know from the game.

Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

We write and create what we know, I suppose. A real Earth-like planet somewhere out there that is not Earth, would surely have a continental arrangement that bears no resemblance whatsoever to real-life Earth - or would it? Either we have a failure of imagination when creating fantasy planets, or, the laws of physics tend to cause all Earth-like planets everywhere to follow a similar geographical path of development.

Well, given that there's that one planet that's full of coal and diamonds and has horrifying acid rains...I think you're right!

I love this image, it sort of sends chills down my spine, thinking that that's what the world we're all so familiar with would look like from space.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Actually, Abeir-Toril has three major continents. We have the one of Faerun (where the main stories take place. And to the East, there is Kara-Tur (part of Faerun), to the south, Zakhara (based on the Arabian Knights and the Middle East). What corresponds to England and Ireland (through there are actually 9 main islands, I think) are the Moonshae Isles, with Gwyneth being the largest (And it's a Welsh place name, though the Welsh spell it Gwynedd. dd=th in Welsh Gaelic.) Farther to the west is Evermeet, the Elvish Island Kingdom, and there are a few other Island Kingdoms whose names I can't remember offhand (I'm at the Library right now, so the only one I can think of is Sossal.)

Then, around on the other side of the world, you have Maztica, which is a huge continent representing the various Americas. The Maztican book Trilogy takes place in the Central Americas, with cultures based on Aztecs, Incas and so on, with Central American-based classes like Eagle Knight and Jaguar Knight, and Pluma and Hishna magic. Beneath Maztica is Katashaka, a secretive continent, and a fourth continent, Osse, lies between Western Maztica and Eastern Faerun/Kara-Tur. Osse is unexplored, but given its size and where it was located, could conceivably be the Abeir-Torilian equivalent of Australia and the major Pacific Islands like New Zealand, The Phillipines and etc. combined.

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    LadyRhian said:

Beneath Maztica is Katashaka, a secretive continent, and a fourth continent, Osse, lies between Western Maztica and Eastern Faerun/Kara-Tur. Osse is unexplored, but given its size and where it was located, could conceivably be the Abeir-Torilian equivalent of Australia and the major Pacific Islands like New Zealand, The Phillipines and etc. combined.

Katashaka appears to be home of the tabaxi, a feline people. The Forgotten Realms Wiki says that it's West of a land called "Numibia", which, from the article about Katashaka, seems to be that big island to the East of it.
    And then we have that mystery island to the West of the Maztican continent, and whatever makes up "Lapongo", said to be North of Katashaka and South of Maztica. I wonder if we have any sunken continents on that planet...! Or maybe some floaties.

Even with as much as we know about that map, I still get a little panicky, and recall all those maps of Arda during its Ages...