Skip to content

Skeleton warriors Vs mindflayers

MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
I was under the impression that skellies do not get brain damage (for obvious reasons). However, I am now cowardly hiding behind a door after a bunch of illithids and uli-somethings have destroyed my 5 hasted skellies without really giving them that much damage.

Do they get Int damage too? Are Illithids in that city so desperate for a meal that they even eat dead brains? Not even zombies do that!

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    Skeletons don't suffer from INT damage. Five hasted skeletal warriors (the big ones you get on level 15) won't have much trouble to put down the mindflayers.

This is most probably a bug? Have always used them to clear out the mindflayer places.

We're talking about the big ones, right? The ones you get when you're level 15. The small ones have very little health so doesn't surprise me if they get eaten up quickly.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @SionIV‌ Yes, the ones you get at Lv15. Must be a bug, then. Had to clear the lair by the good old brine potion + haste + ranged on a couple of NPC.

Will move this to the bug section. Any idea on who to tag?
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited April 2014
    SionIV said:

Skeletons don't suffer from INT damage. Five hasted skeletal warriors (the big ones you get on level 15) won't have much trouble to put down the mindflayers.

This is most probably a bug? Have always used them to clear out the mindflayer places.

We're talking about the big ones, right? The ones you get when you're level 15. The small ones have very little health so doesn't surprise me if they get eaten up quickly.

I have a component from ATweaks in my BGT install that reads as follows:

~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #101 // Prevent skeletal and incorporeal undead from being affected by Illithids' Devour Brain attack: v4.03

This suggests that, at least in the original game, mind flayers and their ilk do devour Skeletons' brains. I'm not sure if BG2EE is supposed to work differently.

From a theoretical point of view Skeletal and Incorporeal undead should be unaffected by the devour brain attacks, because these creatures have no brains.

edit: I'm suprised by the fact that buffed Skeletal Warriors would fall so easily to the Illithid, even if devour brain affects them. They're fierce warriors and the Mind Flayers aren't.

SionIV said:

I have a component from ATweaks in my BGT install that reads as follows:

~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #101 // Prevent skeletal and incorporeal undead from being affected by Illithids' Devour Brain attack: v4.03

This suggests that, at least in the original game, mind flayers and their ilk do devour Skeletons' brains. I'm not sure if BG2EE is supposed to work differently.
    I've never had mind flayers devour my skeletons in the original game. It doesn't make sense either way, a skeleton doesn't have a brain.
    edited April 2014
    @Blackraven‌ illithid have 3-4 APR, I think. I assume the skeletons have average armor.

Still strange. They must have been very smart skeletons, as they were resisting several hits. How many HP do they have?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    All mindflayers have 4 attacks per round. Their base strength is 10 and thaco is 10. As I recall in vanilla, skeletons are immune to mind attack but not devour brain.
    edited April 2014
    MacHurto said:

@Blackraven‌ illithid have 3-4 APR, I think. I assume the skeletons have average armor.

Still strange. They must have been very smart skeletons, as they were resisting several hits. How many HP do they have?

The skeletal warriors? Over 100 HP (If my memory doesn't fail me).

They also have a very high damage reduction, so they won't be dealing full damage to the skeletal warriors on each hit.
    edited April 2014
    I'm at work now, so can't check stats. But I think the Mind Flayers have mediocre thac0, so if you properly buff your skeletal warriors (PfE 15' radius, Haste, maybe Bless and Defensive Harmony) they should last quite a while against the Mind Flayers.

Edit: ok didn't refresh page, and missed you posts @SionIV and @bbear
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I am certain other people have a fix for this, as well, but here is the one I came up with some time ago. The original mind flayer attack drains 5 points of intelligence, I think it was? Maybe it was only 2 points. *shrug* Anyway...a couple of hits and the game engine kills you. Frustrating, to say the least.

I am certain other people have a fix for this, as well, but here is the one I came up with some time ago. The original mind flayer attack drains 5 points of intelligence, I think it was? Maybe it was only 2 points. *shrug* Anyway...a couple of hits and the game engine kills you. Frustrating, to say the least.

The original one drains 4 if i remember correctly, the super one drains 5.

My skeletal warriors have taken up to 7+ hits without dying, so they are either immune or have an intellect score of over 25.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I thought all Mind Flayers's attacks drain 5 Intelligence which is the reason why a min/max Charname has either 11 or 16 Intelligence, even if he is a pure fighter. And last time I did the Mindflayer dungeon (non SCS), it seemed they indeed inflict 5 Int damage per hits. Their attacks were magical and thus, PfMW worked fine last time and also protected against Devour Brain.

I also think they have 4 APR, as the spell Shapechange gives you 4 APR when you shift into one.

bbear said:

All mindflayers have 4 attacks per round. Their base strength is 10 and thaco is 10. As I recall in vanilla, skeletons are immune to mind attack but not devour brain.

Isn't it 3APR for Mind Flayers and 4APR for Ulitharid?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I believe Mindflayers attack with +2 weapons. They can kill elementals but not Adamantine Golems.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited May 2014
    I could have sworn that invisible stalkers and Mordenkainen swords were immune to the brain drain...

Edit: Well, Stalkers are certainly vulnerable. The sword sure isn't though. The only other player accessible thing that is immune is... Hexxat? One of Hexxat's many amulets grants immunity to intelligence drain but I can't say I know when or how or if she gets that one put on her...

Edit again: Oh oh OHH! I get it now! That is how they made her work! Clever! Uh, anyway I am pretty sure it is only her gaseous form that has the immunity to brain drain. So basically just use your Mordenkainen's Swords to fight the illithid since they are the only immune thing.
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    it's amazing how mordy swords makes everything that cannot cast death spell a very easy target.
    edited May 2014
    Is it that easy with SCS? Or enemies realise the sword is a distraction and ignore it (like a person would)