Skip to content

Dragon Shape for Dragon Disciples

AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
edited May 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
This was merely a training in how i can add abilities to certain classes.
(Original look, decided to take the red dragon appearance Firkraag uses)image

The result can be found in this post: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/504471/#Comment_504471
Post edited by AendaeronBluescale on
CrevsDaakelminsterDungeonnoobButtercheeseFhtbt

Comments

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Nice!

I have been trying to do something like this for some time now, except it was supposed to be mage/sorcerer's HLA that allows you to turn into a regular dragon (real size). As I'm not that proficient with DLTCEP, it was without success I'm afraid.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited May 2014
    I could use Red Dragon (Firkraag) as appearance model, but it's size can prove problematic in some cases, that's why I took Large Wyvern (created a custom .cre file for it plus it's claw weapon as an .itm) as appearance.

EDIT: for comparison, here with Firkraag (Red Dragon) appearance:
    CrevsDaak
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    It was mostly for fluff (for special occassions, like fighting other dragons 1vs1) but I had huge problem with giving him some dragon abilities (wing buffet, breath) and assigning created claw weapon to weapon slots (didn't work for some reason). I used the silver dragon model and the Elemental Transformation HLA as base but sadly I got beaten :)
    edited May 2014
    I figure I should upload my results (See last post below for final version). Well, feel free to use it. The dialog.tlk only works with EN_US-Versions of BG2:EE and goes into the lang/en_us folder while the remaining files go into override.

This one shapechanges into the red dragon model Firkraag is using and sets your THAC0 to 0 (THAC0 5 and Str 23 bonus combined), it's claws (ddisccla.itm) should count as +4 and deal 1d10 (adding str bonus) damage per hit, 2 attacks per round. The AC is also lowered to at least 0. If it is lower already, it won't change.

The ability to shapechange into a dragon with this mod will be gained at Dragon Disciple Level 20. If your DDisc is at Lv 20 or higher, you'll need to recreate him/her.

If anyone wants to WeiDUize it for me, feel free to do so.

Also, i think the red dragon model fits better for such a powerful shapechange because it gives it in itself a downside for using it: You can't move everywhere and might need to change back to fit through. And because it is only usable once a day you must think twice where and when to use it.
    CrevsDaakSereverus
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Also, i think the red dragon model fits better for such a powerful shapechange because it gives it in itself a downside for using it: You can't move everywhere and might need to change back to fit through. And because it is only usable once a day you must think twice where and when to use it.

I agree, in powergaming terms it could be greatly balanced by that. But in roleplaying terms, turning into a full growth Red Dragon seems weird to me before level 25/30 (25 is mid/early-ToB for a full party Dragon Disciple so I guess it's OK).
  • NoitchiNoitchi Member Posts: 8
    any news about the weidooization of this cool looking mod?
    Noitchi said:

any news about the weidooization of this cool looking mod?

It's still on the agenda, but RL stuff (bachelor's thesis etc.) is postponing it indefinitely for now.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Can't you use the half dragon forms from IWD2?
    edited May 2014
    SionIV said:

No, for two reasons:
    1) IWD2 assets are not binarily compatible with BG2:EE. I'd have to convert each single frame back and forth.
    2) Legal reasons: I'd need Atari's permission to import them into BG2:EE for a mod.
    SionIVCrevsDaak
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

SionIV said:

No, for two reasons:
    1) IWD2 assets are not binarily compatible with BG2:EE. I'd have to convert each single frame back and forth.
    2) Legal reasons: I'd need Atari's permission to import them into BG2:EE for a mod.
    Thank you for clearing that up :)
    sniff, well then good luck with the studies and let us hope you may find a moment for the mod :)
    edited May 2014
    Noitchi said:

sniff, well then good luck with the studies and let us hope you may find a moment for the mod :)

Actually, i got a moment where i need to wait for more clarification before continuing the project I am doing for Bachelor's thesis (regarding a written report's content). So I have nothing better to do currently.

I'll use that time to polish the mod a bit (for example a better icon, the mere wyvern hatchie icon from the avenger class kit doesn't fit to a mighty big meany red dragon!). I've looked at the TP2 script documentation and got a rough idea on how to write a WeiDU TP2 installer script ("WeiDUizing it") for it.
    ohhhhh that's the spirit :) well if you need help on anything (but coding, i suck at that) I'd gladly help :)
    edited May 2014
    Proposed icon for Dragon Shape:

I'll continue work tomorrow because I don't have the other mod files at hand currently (different location).
    Next on the agenda:
    * Getting the icon to work with the mod
    * Prettier spell effects instead of the polymorph spell effect (Standard visual fire effects come to mind)
    * Correcting some effect components of the shape (i.e. removing dragon disciple breath weapon getting added during dragon shape, which doesn't work properly because it's already innate)
    If all works: Compiling a TP2 WeiDU script for installation
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2014
    This is the best for learning how to code weidu :)
    To make the icon work for the game, you'll need to make it a BAM, to do so, I recommend getting Near Infinity if you don't have it already. Then convert the image to a BMP, and then to a BAM. You might need to rebuild the palette to make the transparecny work properly.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    "Raawwgh,fear me mortals..crap I'm stuck"

Cool quote from a server i used to play.
    edited May 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

This is the best for learning how to code weidu :)

This is what I found already and got a rough idea from on how to go for it.

To make the icon work for the game, you'll need to make it a BAM, to do so, I recommend getting Near Infinity if you don't have it already. Then convert the image to a BMP, and then to a BAM. You might need to rebuild the palette to make the transparecny work properly.
    Already converted to BAM using BAM Workshop 2. I made the icon with GIMP, saved it as a gif (transparency is then a non-issue and palette is also generated this way), then imported the gif using the aforementioned tool.
    CrevsDaak
    oh getting there we are I see :) keep it up keep it up! I'm impatiently waiting for that mod of yours! (dragon disciple already ready for the play :)
    Dungeonnoob
    edited May 2014
    As you can see in this screenshot:

The icon is working! EDIT: At least with the colors, still need to fix transparency.
    Now prettifying the effect when triggering it :) Actually, fix the transparency first. done, transparency fixed:

Now prettifying the ability trigger effects :) Maybe today, but more likely tomorrow.
    Dungeonnoob
    edited May 2014
    WeiDUized! See attachment.

Dragon Shape will be granted upon reaching Level 20, despite the kit description not stating it (I didn't want to fumble with existing TLK entries).

Instructions:
    1. Extract all files into [BG2EE_Root]\Data\00783\
    2. Run the setup-ddiscshp.exe to install the mod.

If you are a Mac user: Download the binary here, copy the file named "weidu" or if you use x64 "weidu+[osname]" (in one of the respective subfolders for your architecture) to the same location as in step one and rename it to setup-ddiscshp, then run the file.
    elminsterCaloNordCrevsDaakArdalis
    you rock man, I'm trying it asap :) thanks
  • HeAdCnAHeAdCnA Member Posts: 2

WeiDUized! See attachment.

Dragon Shape will be granted upon reaching Level 20, despite the kit description not stating it (I didn't want to fumble with existing TLK entries).

Instructions:
    1. Extract all files into [BG2EE_Root]\Data\00783\
    2. Run the setup-ddiscshp.exe to install the mod.

If you are a Mac user: Download the binary here, copy the file named "weidu" or if you use x64 "weidu+[osname]" (in one of the respective subfolders for your architecture) to the same location as in step one and rename it to setup-ddiscshp, then run the file.

Hello! For some reason I can't download your file. I just get a blank screen image. Is there something else I need to do? I really want to try this mod! Thanks:)
  • HeAdCnAHeAdCnA Member Posts: 2
    Nevermind! I'm an idiot. I just figured it out. I was clicking the wrong button. Thanks for the upload:)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    This needs a million more likes. It's epic.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Hey @AendaeronBluescale‌, this might interest you.

In IWD2 the characters Isair and Madae look a lot like the dragon form of dragon disciples.

Here two cropped screenshots:
    I don't know, but since the games use the same engine, you might be able to mod the character models into Baldur's Gate. They even come in male and female. (Technically, the two are cambions, but who cares :P )
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    Resources from infinity engine games are safe to use for modding. There is even an animation pack made by @viader ,that contains all animations from all ie games here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19501/resource-pack-extended-animations/p1

SionIV said:

No, for two reasons:
    Oh, ok, didn't saw that.
    Though people rarely seem to care about this stuff when it comes to modding, the Xan mod for BG2 uses a song from Planescape: Torment for example. And I remember some other mods recycling areas from IWD/ IWD2. So yeah, it's modding, it falls under fair use protection.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    @Buttercheese: I was quoting the OP to tell him it's no problem to use iwd2 animations.
    Buttercheese
    Oh, derp.
    Never mind me :'D