Skip to content

Scardy cats!!!

My main character is a dwarven defender, I want to complete this particular quest but when I try the end of level bad guy throws horror in my face and everybody starts running. My characters are about level 2 and my party consists of:

Grimtash (dwarven defender)
a certain female druid/fighter we all know
her husband, a fighter
a certain male level 2 paladin who wants to prove himself
Imoen ( i hope that's not too much of a spoiler)
and this mage I found in a cave somewhere imprisoned (enchanter)

Can I defeat a mage like that with just these level 2 characters? or should I wait and try to complete more sub quests first?

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    The key to defeat mages in BG 1 is to disrupt their spellcasting. That means shooting them with arrows. Ignore anyone else in their company, just shoot them. Also use mages of ur own to cast Magic Missile at them, it is quick-casting and will disrupt anything slower the enemy mage is about to throw at u, like Horror.

You can protect against Horror with Resist Fear/Remove Fear, which is availabe at lv1 for both Mages and Clerics. Despite the name, they are preventative spells, and if u have enough spell slots, well worth casting before any mage battle, since u only need 1 cast to protect the whole party for a fairly long time.
    MetallomanbooinyoureyesNonnahswriterCrevsDaak
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    it's certainly possible. try to hit him with a missile weapon or spell when he's casting. It interrupts the cast so you won't get scared. (magic missile wand might help as well)

or hope some of you eventually make your saves.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Hmm, you could get a scroll of resist fear and cast it from the scroll... Or you could wait and level your characters a bit.
  • TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52

The key to defeat mages in BG 1 is to disrupt their spellcasting. That means shooting them with arrows. Ignore anyone else in their company, just shoot them. Also use mages of ur own to cast Magic Missile at them, it is quick-casting and will disrupt anything slower the enemy mage is about to throw at u, like Horror.

You can protect against Horror with Resist Fear/Remove Fear, which is availabe at lv1 for both Mages and Clerics. Despite the name, they are preventative spells, and if u have enough spell slots, well worth casting before any mage battle, since u only need 1 cast to protect the whole party for a fairly long time.

I will try that thanks though having trouble to find a store for scrolls for my mages to learn. I wish I could stop by Adventure Mart.. ;-)

• TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    p.s. enchanters like the NPC i have in my party can't cast Magic Missile. It's an evocation spell.

I wish Imoen was a mage already but still only at thief level 3.

Going to look for a cleric now... will have to dump the lovebirds. Never liked the husband much as a fighter with strength 15.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    If you want, you could eekeeper imoen into a multi mage/thief! I did it one playthrough and it was fun and different :)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Tigersag said:

Going to look for a cleric now... will have to dump the lovebirds. Never liked the husband much as a fighter with strength 15.

Strength boosting potions are easy to come by, not to mention a low-level mage spell. Low Str is probably the best deficit a fighter could have (out of the physical attributes) given how easy it is to buff.
    booinyoureyes
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    Unfortunately, you can't buff Khalid's personality :(
    AlbinoWyvernCrevsDaak
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

Slight inaccuracy there, Resist Fear is a level 2 mage spell, and therefore available only at level 3 unless you're casting from a scroll.
    HeindrichCorvinoelminster
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    As has been said, resist fear as a cleric level 1 or mage level 2 spell is a good solution.

If you've still got Imoen's wand of magic missiles this makes for a very good spell-interrupting tool. When you see a mage start to cast, target them. With longer casting-time spells you'll often hit them in time.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    An alternative way to deal with horror is to spread your party out a lot. That way the horror spell will only hit 1-2 people and the rest of your party can hopefully deal with the mage.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

point being: use a fast casting and fast moving damage spell right when they start casting.