Skip to content

Best Weapon Trader?

I was wondering which traders have the best items Weapon/Armor/ETC. I have too much money to spend so who should I talk to? Also what ridiculously powerful items have you found? And where if items are not totally random. THX

Comments

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    You have Dreidre at the back of Ribald's store at the waukeen's promenade and Joluv in the copper coronet.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    What @ifupauline said. Also, you have to keep in mind that sooner or later you'll end up with way too much money and nothing whatsoever to spend it on. You may have reached this point already, although, judging by your question, you are not a thoroughly experienced player.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Underdark. Definitely the Underdark.

Too bad it doesn't survive the surface, tho.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Underdark has some good merchants where gear survives the surface. In addition Trademeet after you do the Dao quest has worthwhile items plus Watchers Keep.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Yeah, but not the Drow stuff.

Too bad.
  • Ploughed_JesterPloughed_Jester Member Posts: 93
    You could have a familiar pick pocket the drow arms and armor from your party before making the surface transition. Then when you retrieve the items from the familiar later they're still in tact. To be perfectly honest, that's dumb levels of cheesy, but the bag of holding would actually work in p&p d&d, so if you only used the stuff at night, and packed it away for the day, it'd last quite a while... years at least.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    The Drow items aren't that powerful. You can pretty much get items of equal or greater power before you go into the Underdark.

Deidre and Ribald have the best collection in my opinion. That house can fully equip most of your characters.

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

You could have a familiar pick pocket the drow arms and armor from your party before making the surface transition. Then when you retrieve the items from the familiar later they're still in tact. To be perfectly honest, that's dumb levels of cheesy, but the bag of holding would actually work in p&p d&d, so if you only used the stuff at night, and packed it away for the day, it'd last quite a while... years at least.

I doesn't it desitigrate as soon as you equip it?
    I don't think so. I'm fairly certain that was the workaround before EE. Whether or not it still works, I don't know
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    The Drow Full Plate is the only armor (beside Big Metal Unit) in the game that sets AC lower than -2.
    bbear said:

The Drow Full Plate is the only armor (beside Big Metal Unit) in the game that sets AC lower than -2.

But it has no additional effects, so it really isn't that good.
    True... especially in ToB where saves bcome far more useful than AC. Almost everyone hits everything... it's the one shots, debilitations, etc that kill you. And Level Drain... Level Drain definitely kills you. Saves don't help much there.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Actually a really low AC still helps in ToB. -5 is not enough but my -22 monk didn't get hit even by the fire giants and similar hard-hitters without criticals on their part. Many enemies have THACO of around 0 so do the math :)
    Skaffen said:

Actually a really low AC still helps in ToB. -5 is not enough but my -22 monk didn't get hit even by the fire giants and similar hard-hitters without criticals on their part. Many enemies have THACO of around 0 so do the math :)

But you can get a low AC with armors that actually have other good stats.

Plate of Balduran : -1AC, +1 Charisma, +4 HP.
    Gorgon Plate +4 : -1AC, 15% Fire and Acid resistance.
    Shuruppak's Plate : -2AC, +1 Dexterity, 20% Fire resistance.
    Enkidu's Full Plate +3 : -2AC , 5% MR, Immune to backstab.
    Drow Full Plate +5 : -4AC
    Blue Dragon Plate : -1AC, 90% resistance to all lightning and electrical attacks.
    White Dragon Scale : -2AC, 50% cold resistance and cone of cold x3 a day.
    Red Dragon Scale : -1AC, 50% fire resistance.

As you can see the Drow Full Plate +5 have the best armor class, but it doesn't give you anything else. And when you get to -1AC or -2AC on your armor, you really don't need those extra two that much. I'll gladly pick something else over the additional AC.

50% Fire resistance might not be that much on it's own, but when you add other items that give it as well you can end up being immune to fire damage.

I love to use the Plate of Balduran on my paladins for the bonus CHA and the +4HP is minor but still nice to have.

You can only use the Drow Full Plate +5 in the underdark, and you get it quite late.

Understood that a really low ac helps, but the monk AC bonuses are supposed to be base, not stack with bracers, so that -22 should really be a -15 if your using AC 3. I don't know if the devs intended it to be that way, but it's part of the reason monks can't wear armor. It isn't supposed to benefit them.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    In the overall it's fair to assume that Dreidre is the best, I mean try to play without robe of vecna, shield of balduran, that alone will give you an entire new experience of bg2.

Aside of that I think it's pretty even, I think that guy from trademeet who sell clock of displacement and belt of initial barrier is my favorite.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    SionIV said:

But you can get a low AC with armors that actually have other good stats.

Blue Dragon Plate : -1AC, 90% resistance to all lightning and electrical attacks.
    White Dragon Scale : -2AC, 50% cold resistance and cone of cold x3 a day.
    Red Dragon Scale : -1AC, 50% fire resistance.

yeah but after getting these, those resistances don't really matter that much anymore (fire damage is debatable, but electrical and cold?). example: you just fought abazigal and got electrocuted and really really wish you had items that gave you more electrical resistance (you really wish you didn't sell those boots of grounding now, don't you?).
    i don't think anyone after abazigal uses lightning bolt or chain lightning. and if so, at that point those spells inconvenience you at best

• mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I am with ifupauline on that one.
    Dreidre sells :
    - the robe of vecna : best armor for a mage (by a huge margin)
    - vailhor's helm : best helmet in the game if you cannot cast simulacrum
    - shield of cheese : best shield against beholders.

Most (all?) other merchants only sell stuff which is outclassed by what you can find yourself.

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180

I mean try to play without robe of vecna, shield of balduran, that alone will give you an entire new experience of bg2.

It's a bit tough to fight beholders with a solo druid.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    bbear said:

I mean try to play without robe of vecna, shield of balduran, that alone will give you an entire new experience of bg2.

It's a bit tough to fight beholders with a solo druid.
    Is it? I would just throw an elemental or two at them and then go invisible and watch the elementals beat them up. Beholders don't shoot summons.
  • sersafirsersafir Member Posts: 126
    before completing maevar's guild quests, talk to the guy who owns the shop. You can get a pretty cool nymphs cloak that increases charisma. It's not really very useful, but a stat item nonetheless.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Going the other way, if you are looking to sell, rather than buy, the trader in the Sahuagin City seems to offer 60% more than any other trader - store up your most valuable stuff in portable containers (bags, cases, whatever) and sell them here!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Going the other way, if you are looking to sell, rather than buy, the trader in the Sahuagin City seems to offer 60% more than any other trader - store up your most valuable stuff in portable containers (bags, cases, whatever) and sell them here!

I think the Svirf merchant in the underdark buys things at a similar price but I am not sure.