Skip to content

New Game - Werewolves of Faerun - Next session thursday - 2 spots open

KatoZeeKatoZee Member Posts: 14
edited May 2014 in Multiplayer

Werewolves of Faerun - Back Story

Candlekeep... long has this apparent fortress stood overlooking the coast barring all but the most select from entering its walls. A place known for its unrivalled collected knowledge with its vast wealth of ancient literature. All have assumed that its fortifications are used in the protection of such material, a rouse that has stood the test of time as has its very walls.

Dusty old tombs and manuscripts are not the real reason this stronghold, for roaming freely within its walls are creatures whose very existence are dismissed as myths and legends. Candlekeep houses an ancient werewolf clan known as the Eldnac with Gorion as their elder.

The very location of the keep was selected so that the frequent ocean winds and musk from countless old books would help mask the tell tale smells found from werewolf dens. The draconion entry rules set to deter all but the most determined of scholars from visiting, whilst generating a means of income to help feed the growing clan.

It is here they remain hidden from the world and the memories of people, studying and perfecting their forms to maintain control and balance, only venturing forth to hunt the wild animals and those that discover their secrets.

BG1 RP Story

With the death of Gorion whilst protecting one of their own, the pack sends out its most skilled werewolves who have learnt to better control their forms to assist the orphaned ward. They must hunt down the armoured figure and feast upon his flesh and eviscerate any who would stand between them and their prey.

TotSC RP Story

Rumours of lycanthropes have spread far and wide, more and more sightings of vicious beasts are spoken throughout inns across the sword coast. The demise of Gorion has caused a rival clan to send its fiercest warriors to construct a staging post... a prelude to an invasion of Eldnacian territory. The pack must venture to this island and eradicate the enemy werewolves and secure their territory and prevent any foothold from being gained.

BG2 RP Story

The sorcerer has captured the pack and slain many of the members of the Eldnac clan, his dark aims are to subject the wolves to his will and force them to serve as nothing more than guard dogs. Through the countless experiments some of the pack have lost their ability to transform and must learn to survive and retrain both body and mind to once again shed their skin and hunt down their new prey (takes into account the desire to dual class - losing shapeshift ability for a while).

ToB RP Story

With the sorcerer ripped limb from limb the pack have no more connections to their old home. With so many of the clan slain at his hands or scattered all over the realm the pack must venture to secure a new home in these strange lands. Rumours of a secluded grove reach their ears and with Gorion's former ward hunted mercilessly they must race to secure a new home before they turn the tables on their would-be hunters.

Post edited by KatoZee on

Comments

• KatoZeeKatoZee Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2014
    By majority vote the group and by default any one else joining will be restricted to Druid: Shapeshifter Kit. The game will be RP based and whilst I appreciate that not everyone can play the times stated I want to try yet another thing that no one else has tried (possibly).

CAMEO ROLES - There are many side quests that are found throughout the game and to fill in a RP sort of reason to go do/explore them cameo players can be used. This way when one of the regulars cannot make it, a stand in can RP another Eldnac werewolf with a possible lead on the location of the prey. Which can take us to places like durlags tower etc. This way the remaining players can still play but not advance the story line without the regulars.

KatoZee - Stinky - Long -Tyromancer - the_blind_one

Five players confirmed as the regular pack... cameo players still required to roll as Druid: Shapeshifter Kit.

I welcome all comments and suggestions that would further enhance the potential of this run through. It has already been discussed the option of using any class but granting the werewolf ability through editor. Through majority vote the core players have decided to remain as Druids: Shapeshifters.
    Post edited by KatoZee on
  • StinkyStinky Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    I'm keen! Times are fine one or two days a week. I like quite heavy RP but I'm happy to go with any theme.

I don't want to be Bhaalspawn though!

------ My Character Bio;

Alexis, the Guardian.

Portrait goes here!

Alexis is a physical specimen and displays loyalty and diligence second to none. He was an esteemed member of the Candlekeep guard, known in particular for his unflinching dedication to his duty in upholding the secret nature of the clan's Den. In the rare event that something would escape his watchful gaze and throw that secrecy into jeopardy, it would not escape his wrath.

He would be the template that all Eldnac aspire to if not for one major defect. The discipline that he has in spades in his human form stands in violent contrast to the animal that takes over when he turns.

Alexis wants nothing more than to be the best he can be. To do his duty. And he does it very, very well. But the respect he deserves is denied him by his peers, to which he is known as the "Guard Dog".

Nonetheless, if you look out of your window in the keep on a clear night, it is his broad back you will see standing straight and alert on the walls so that you can sleep soundly. He does not seek recognition, or even acceptance. He just is. And there is an unspoken comfort in that.
    Post edited by Stinky on
  • TyromancerTyromancer Member Posts: 4
    Hi there, I am keen to start a Saga, my hours pretty closely match yours also! I was just in your room in game but I find the game crashes quite a lot while in the character selection interface. I'm happy to play whatever theme, RP or non RP :).
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Not my cup of tea but the idea is SO great, I'm actually amazed ! I really hope you will enjoy this playthrough
    Thank you for comment at least, though curious which part sours your tea?
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Fantastic idea! I love themed parties, and I had never seen anyone come up with a band of lycanthropes. Really like how you fleshed out the stories. Unfortunately I can't play along due to time constraints.
    It would be nice to read about your progress both from a RP and from a gameplay perspective. The Shapeshifter isn't knows as the best implemented kit. I'm curious to see how a party of them will fare.
    Thanks I'm thinking of switch wave tactics to combat most challenging stuff. Three go wolf and attack three stay back and heal and summon animals. Then when front line get low recall revert to human form and start casting same spells whilst the three back go wolf and replenish the front lines.
  • GrimmChromGrimmChrom Member Posts: 19

This will be my guy Gunther.

I haven't quite come up with a backstory yet but I might before we start playing.

Just thought I'd post this here if anyone wanted to plug it in their portrait folder so they won't have a generic ''?'' mark as a character avatar depicted in the UI. Zip provided in this comment with all portrait pics required.

Image taken from these forums created by some chap called Ftg386

Koveras Bio

Little is known of this individual apart from the knowledge that Gorion had brought him into the keep when he was but a small child. Koveras spent much of his youth trying to prove his worth amongst his fellow adoptive clan. The ward of Gorion afforded him many privileges much to the disapproval of the other elders. When someone rose to contest or even directly challenge him Gorion quickly intervened. For a time this created an air of tension amongst the walls of CandleKeep. It was one occasion when Gorion was no where to be found that Koveras was challanged for position. In a gruelling fight he defeated his challenger gaining the respect of his peers, his challenger humilliated by the defeat vowed to make him pay for his disgrace and fled the keep shouting "I will have my revenge... they will come for you soon". Koveras was finally accepted by all but the most stubborn of members who would still make passing snide remarks about his "noble status" within the clan.

His position within the clan solidified a new era of peace and happiness was on the horizon, until Gorion returned learning of what had passed with a troubled look upon his face...

edited May 2014
    Lyra Biography

Race: Human

Lyra has lead a sheltered life, her father a wealthy merchant, growing up in Waterdeep did little to prepare her for life on the road. Reared to aid the family business and marry a wealthy family of waterdeep afforded her a good education, she can read and write well, in addition to being being articulate and convincing; skills that unbenknownst to her become very useful. Lyra quickly grew tired of city life, spending increasing time in the outdoors craving the freedom to explore but lacking the physical prowess to adventure and take to the road. Mysterious events many attribute to the activity of shadow druids in the region have lead to her fleeing home, fate guiding her into a druidic circle, she now faces a lifetime being infected by Lycanthropy. Spending years of research and investigation Lyra finally learned of the existence of Candlekeep home to others like her. Arriving by caravan She has spent the last 4 years of her life there. Spending most of her days in the library perfecting her fascade as earning the rank of a Reader in the great library. She has learned to appreciate the political intrigue, subtle manipulation and need for secrecy among her clan, she hopes to leave Candlekeep and further their wealth and influence on the Sword Coast, pushing their goals but with unknown motives. She enjoys upholding the balance and is at home in the halls of Candlekeep, around a campfire or enjoying the thrill of the hunt in her Lycanthrope form.
    Post edited by Tyromancer on
    The story so far...

Koveras and his kin spent the day doing much the same as they would usually do, running around the keep performing tasks for the various elders as and when required. It was only with the sudden arrival of Gorion that the ward was whisked away from the keep much to the surprise of the clan. Gorion made no time to impart the details of his departure, only that they must leave with all haste.

It was through the cover of night and under a heavy storm they left the safety of the walls that had sheltered Koveras for as long as he could remember. Even with the howling rain and the roar of the turbulent winds could not mask the scent of an approaching enemy. Gorion had exchanged words with the apparent leader as if he knew of his inevitable arrival. A fight soon broke out with an arrow grazing the shoulder of Koveras.

Gorion ordered the ward to flee and upon doing so heard the screams of Gorion carried by the winds that send shivers down his spine. To not carry out the orders of an elder is to forfeit your life and his reward for his obedience was the death of his adoptive father.

Gorions last cries of pain must have travelled as far as the keep itself since the upon the morning a number of the clan had tracked down the young ward. Sensing his loss and apparent anger towards himself they made no reference to the possibility of fighting at Gorion's side for surely it would have been done if not told otherwise.

With the clans elder slain the pack are bound by code to hunt down this armoured figure and exact an appropriate revenge. Koveras blinded by the rage filling deep inside him lost control of his form and despite the heightened senses afforded as a werewolf, the storm had washed away the scent of the attackers.

Lyra always the voice of reason calmed the ward down enough to rationalise thought and the pack proceeded towards the Friendly Arms Inn as Gorion had so instructed. On their way they encountered a local hunter who to their amusement said the only beast in the area were ogres. Ogre meat can sustain a pack for some time and with that necessity they set out and hunted down one with relative ease.

With their stomachs filled the pack made good speed to the inn where Koveras picked up on a scent almost the same as those who attacked him and Gorion earlier. A mage had been awaiting their arrival and a fight ensured on the footsteps of the fortified inn. Alexis was wounded in the ensuing chaos though his fortunes were blessed as not many have the luxury of becoming so gravely wounded in front of a church. Regretfully the pack is not as skilled as the elders and lack the training to reanimate the flesh.

With Alexis healing rapidly the pack made for the inn to which the two friends Gorion spoke of spotted the ward and informed him of the troubles down the mines. Gunther questioned why mining would have anything to do with our prey. Lyra provided the retort of placing faith in the guidance provided by individuals that Gorion would call friend. Koveras pointed out the lingering smell of mineral on the deceased mage and suggested that it may hold some connection as whoever sent the mage may know of the location of their prey.

Studying the local maps Lyra deduced the quickest route would be through the towns and villages. She had also reasoned that if the group was being targeted then the longer woodland in which they may enjoy their true forms would be heavily watched. The group agreed on the course though to treat themselves for having to hide amongst humans for so long they took to the nearby woods to hunt down some filthy hobgoblins.

They posed no real challange for the pack and enjoyment was hollow. The pack moved on towards the village of naskel but before its boarders Gunther throat was slashed by a group of hounds that caught the group by surprise... East is the closest temple Lyra advised and it has now become a race to reach the temple before Gunther shares in Gorions fate.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Fascinating! One more story i have to read:)
    CAMEO Opportunity for tonight's play.

We are enroute to revive Gunther at the temple east of beregost. There is opertunity to complete the crazy bassilus side quest if anyone wanted to join in from 20:00-23:00 BST.

All cameo players must roll a druid: shapeshifter from the Eldnac clan. Player requires to provide a back story into why we need to do the side quest. For example Bassilus had learnt of the secret of candlekeep and he and his family were targeted for slaughter. Bassilus escaped the ensuing chaos however it has left his mind shaken though plans to raise an army to seek his vengence. Cameo player could be from a different pack that was tasked to remove the threat though requires more assistance to take on the leader whilst other werewolves take on the bulk of the army elsewhere...

Basically make up something nice... Cameo player can then proceed to follow us on the quest as far as we get for the remainder of the night.

First post with back story gets the slot for tonight.
    edited May 2014
    I can honestly say I didn't expect the playthrough to be as enjoyable as it was. Initially I wasn't sold on the idea of playing Werewolves but it was great fun and really just goes to show how many ways you can enjoy a game that is as old as I am! Looking forward to playing again and if you're a player looking for something a bit different you should definitely join us.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Sounds like a lot of fun :)