Skip to content

Divine sorcerer kit

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
I've had an idea for a sorcerer kit much akin to a paladin in my head for a long time, though never bothered to say so until now. This is mostly a role play explanation, not so much mechanics. I'm probably going to need a lot of help balancing this, it's pretty OP.

And a name. It needs a name.

The idea behind this essentially comes down to an arcane paladin, but with some changes. It would be and order focused on doing the right thing, in a disciplined, good, but primarily intelligent and wise manner, through the use of both arcane and divine magic.

Specifications:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Advantages-
Charisma and wisdom minimum role 16
Intelligence minimum role 14

May pick two divine and two arcane spells per level

Can cast Divine Thought once a day every seven levels, starting with one cast at level one

Can cast protection from evil once a day every 5 levels, starting at level one

Can equip armor lighter than plate

Can equip Mage robes

Can equip any weapon

may select righteous sword as a high level ability

Can place proficiencies in any weapon, or fighting style except two-weapon style

Divine thought: grants the caster +1 to intelligence, wisdoms, and charisma for every 4 levels of the caster for 1 hour.

Righteous sword: creates in the casters hand a flaming purple two-handed sword, that the caster knows how to use. The sword causes 1d10+2 slashing damage, and 1d6 electrical and cold damage. The sword hits as a +4 weapon, and you cannot equip a shield with the sword. The sword lasts for 4 hours.

Can equip helmets

Disadvantages-
Alignment restricted to Neutral Good

May only archive "proficiency" in any weapon or fighting style.

May not dual wield

May not equip gauntlets

May only equip small shields and smaller

Follow cleric proficiency progression tables

Follow Mage hit point tables

May only pick four spells per level

I have no modding skill so if This ever get psi plume ted than it likely won't be by me, but I thought it was a coll Idea and wanted to see if anyone else liked it. To OP, to weak? Please share your thoughts.
DungeonnoobCrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisovAristillius[Deleted User]Anduin

Comments

• DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Cool kit,Divine thought sounds incredible.Casting spells with chain/splint armor and shield could give a nice ac boost.Kit name how about:Temple Guard of Phoenix?
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2014
    It sounds a little like the favored soul class from the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansions. It's not quite the same as yours, but it's a charisma-based cleric who casts divine spells as a sorcerer, and receives free weapon focus in his deity's favored weapon.

I was always intrigued by it, but I thought the benefits weren't worth giving up turn undead and domain feats. Why would the deity's favored not be able to turn undead or receive domain feats? I guess they needed to balance the new class with the classic cleric, so they must have decided that turning undead and performing domain feats requires wisdom and discipline that a charisma-based cleric wouldn't have.

EDIT: I think you could theoretically make a favored soul in the Infinity Engine by starting with a sorcerer, and changing out all the arcane spells in his spell tables for all the divine spells. Then, you'd give him two free pips at character creation in his deity's favored weapon, and allow him eventual grandmastery in that one weapon.

Remove the pointed weapons restrictions so he can use a dagger (Deneir) or longsword (Oghma) or any other weapon if it was the deity's favored weapon. Give him a d8 for hit points instead of d4, change his avatar to human cleric, open up armor use, and remove (or don't give him) his turn undead ability. Give him a cleric's Thac0 progression. Require 17 charisma minimum for the class, like a paladin.

It'd be a complex mod, but very doable for some of our community modding masters if they were interested in the favored soul class.
    CrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited May 2014
    @BelgarathMTH‌ I'd heard a little about the favored soul, but I didn't really know anything. I'm not really shooting for that, I'm trying to get something a little different. I think there's a lot of demand for beamdog to implement favored soul into the game in one way or another, I'd always liked the idea.

@Dungeonnoob‌ you could only cast your cleric spells while wearing armor. You can put t on, but the arcane restriction applies. Divine thought is supposed to be like DUHM, but for the mental abilities, so it would really be useful in combat. It's more of a role-play device.

I'm worried that four spell picks/level nerfs it a little to much, it would make picking really hard, sense if you where taking him through 1&2, then you couldn't waste a spot on say sleep, early game, because you only get one other arcane spell.
    Post edited by meagloth on
    jackjack
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    edited May 2014
    meagloth
    I'm worried that four spell picks/level nerds it a little to much, it would make picking really hard, sense if you where taking him through 1&2, then you couldn't waste a spot on say sleep, early game, because you only get one other arcane spell.

Well..any class combo with a sorcerer need some nerfing:)
    But the idea is great.

JuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Hmmm... What if I made it 5 spells/level and the last one could be either divine or arcane?
    JuliusBorisovjackjacklolien