Skip to content

Drizzt and Elminster

What are they doing in the Western Heartlands during the first game? Drizzt says he's off to Icewind Dale so is he also fleeing from Artemis? Is Elminster on his way home?

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I know very little about Elminster, but I remember that Drizzt did visit Beregost in one of Salvatore's books. (Around the time he first meets the Harpells I think.) So his location in BG1 isn't that far-fetched I think. Athkatla (BG2) is another matter. On the other hand Charname also travels between Ulgoth's Beard and Amkethran...
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Drizzt and Eleminster, sitting in a tree. K. i. s. s. i........

Oh, sorry.

I think Eleminster being there is the easier of the two to explain. Clearly he is "Looking in" on Charname and realizing that 'Big events are brewing'. There are enough holes in his story line that he could have 'popped out to check on a few things'.

Drizzt on the other hand, it is difficult to pin-point when he actually got away to go that far south other than when he went after Artemis. And then he should have a group with him, right? I could "Maybe" see it, but it's a stretch. Maybe who you meet is actually a would-be impersonator? that would explain the ease with which he can be dispatched? And would also explain how you can kill him in BG1 and then again in BG2, although the Harpel's involvement in BG2 suggests that one might be the real deal.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    I've done a bit of research and the best explination is:

In the books Artemis (Drizzt's rival) goes to Calimport in the far south of the Sword Coast to lead a guild. Drizzt and his companions had just saved Wulfgar from Errtu, the demon. I was trying to see if Wulfgar losing Aegis-Fang to pirates could work because the pirates could have been trying to melt it down and sell it as raw materials (being mithral etc). Then it could result in Drizzt going to Taerom Fuirium (smith in Beregost), who is rumoured to be the best smith in Faerun, especially in magical items and rare ores, to get the weapon fixed. Other things could be written which hint towards perhaps the Twisted Rune stealing the weapon and hiding it in the Athkatla Sewers before they attack Halaster (seeing as Wulfgar is in Luskan, which isn't such a stretch from Undermountain)....

Then I realised all this happens in 1369DR :(

Best guess is that Drizzt goes to Calimport to confront Artemis and is heading back to Icewind Dale in the game. Gets ambushed by the increased number of gnolls in the area (with the stronghold teaming with gnolls).

How he fits into BG2 I have no idea, all I know is that in 1369ish/1370DR he's back in Icewind Dale to deal with Obould Many-Arrows. Maybe he hears of the troubles in Amn, hears your character's name mentioned and decides to return the favour by helping the character face Bodhi?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Drizzt and Eleminster, sitting in a tree. K. i. s. s. i........

LOL dude, I got the same idea some hours ago!
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    What are they doing in the Western Heartlands? They do what they always did - boosting Forgotten Realms sales!
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Drizzt was on his way to Icewind Dale, but then somebody decided it'd be funny to turn the roadsigns around like in a Looney Tunes cartoon, and he ends up in some crypts in Amn, wondering what the Hells is going on.

Elminster is doing what Marc Singer did in the television series based on the BeastMaster movies.