Skip to content

Loss of dialogue between Quayle and Aerie? - possible bug?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
I'm about 99.9% certain that in the original BG2, after Kalah breaths his last breath in the circus, there would be a dialogue exchange between Aerie and Quayle in which Aerie would exclaim, "Uncle Quayle, you're OK!," and the two would then tell each other how each had "changed" the other during their time together, and Quayle would then wish Aerie good luck on her new adventures.

However, as you can see in the picture below, this doesn't happen in my game - instead, Aerie turns around as if to initiate dialogue, but then no exchange actually happens.

Is this a bug? Or was the exchange deliberately removed by the devs, perhaps due to all the complaints about lack of continuity between BG1 and Quayle's story here?

Also, if this is a bug, does anyone know whether something like this would affect whether Quayle's "helping an old friend" quest will trigger?

elminster

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It could be a bug but I didn't have any problems getting it to work on my recent playthrough.

Are you running any mods?

Can you attach a save file?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    elminster said:

It could be a bug but I didn't have any problems getting it to work on my recent playthrough.

Are you running any mods?

Can you attach a save file?

No, I'm not running any mods.

The only thing I did was begin the game in multiplayer, to enable me to import my BG1 party into BG2, before transferring a saved game to the normal save folder.

I'm trying to attach a SAV file right now, but I'm getting a message that says uploading that kind of file is not allowed.
    edited May 2014
    Easiest way is to just put your save folder (not just the SAV file) into a zip or rar file. Using Winrar will work though I'm sure there are other programs that can be used for this.
    elminster said:

Easiest way is to just put your save folder (not just the SAV file) into a zip or rar file. Using Winrar will work though I'm sure there are other programs that can be used for this.

Does this work?

I managed to save the game right in between Kalah's fatal blow and his final dying dialogue, after which would be the time when Aerie would normally speak to Quayle.

Thanks in advance.
    elminster
    Incidentally, I just tried the whole situation again, but this time without accepting Aerie into my party after freeing her.

It seems that if Aerie isn't yet in my party at the time that I kill Kalah, the dialogue does happen. However, I'm fairly certain that in the original BG2, this dialogue happened whether Aerie was already in my party or not, because I always accepted Aerie into my party after freeing her and I still remember seeing this dialogue.
    elminster
    Well you aren't crazy. It should be firing.

Interestingly enough when I killed Aerie and replaced her with the console (and then added her to my group) it fired properly.
    SharGuidesMyHand
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Did you try talking to Quayle? Sometimes that initiates dialogues that are supposed to trigger.
    meagloth said:

Did you try talking to Quayle? Sometimes that initiates dialogues that are supposed to trigger.

Yea I tried that. It just gives the "ohh you are back" dialogue (I'm paraphrasing but that is what the dialogue is about).
    SharGuidesMyHand
    meagloth said:

Elminster is correct - whether I talk to Quayle with Aerie herself or another party member, the dialogue that I'm referring to just doesn't trigger if Aerie is already in the party.