Skip to content

The Adventures of Mikkath

And so begins the adventures of Mikkath, the elven fighter/mage of Candlekeep. This will be a no-reload blind SCS run on core D&D rules. No other mods are installed, and the user has no idea what changes SCS has made to the game.

Character creation for Mikkath was actually an adventure in itself, as I attempted to install a custom portrait pack only to find that upon accepting a character my game would inexplicably freeze and crash, losing the character. Twice I created and lost Mikkath before finally giving up and uninstalling the custom portrait pack. Mikkath was finally able to begin his journey.
Gorion spent years training Mikkath in the weapons he knew best: quarterstaffs, darts, and magic. Luckily, this was enough to get past Shank and Carbos, a couple of assassins that somehow managed to find extremely rare tomes with which to gain entrance to Candlekeep. Carbos announced his ill intent and so Mikkath quickly hit him with the only spell he knew: blindness. Once blinded, Mikkath was able to keep a distance and down Carbos with the first dart he threw.
Mikkath quickly realized that Gorion was serious about needing to leave and decided to gather as much coin as he could to best outfit himself for the road. Forcing several locks open with his considerable strength, he gathered enough for a suit of scale mail and was looking for more gold when he came across Shank. With no spells memorized, Mikkath had to resort to bashing Shank's head in with his stave. It was a messy, bloody end for Shank. While somehow these assassins were able to coat their weapons in poison, luckily neither were able to land a blow.

Outfitted for the road, Mikkath left in the night with Gorion, only to be ambushed by an armed band. Gorion fought well while Mikkath fled in terror at the incredible display of magic and power. Alone Gorion stood, and alone Gorion fell, dead in the forest. Alone with his shame, Mikkath vowed to find the strength he would need to protect those around him. The next morning Mikkath awoke to Imoen's impish voice, and agreed to take the little sneak along. Together, they set out to face the road and what may come.

Comments

• mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Good luck for that run. I am afraid it will end quite abruptly since SCS is much more difficult but it will be fun following you anyway given your storyteller qualities
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm so interested in this run, definitely will follow it! Just be cautious ANY second of the game, especially when you see an enemy caster nearby. Do not EVER underestimate any "easy" foe and encounter. Do not EVER think "Ok, this won't give much problem".

May luck be always on the side of Mikkath!

A blind playthrough would give you thrills, that's for sure. How I wish I were in your place;)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hey Zak, glad to see you've started! I like your decision to play a multiclass (instead of a dualclass as you planned). As @bengoshi said, try to be as careful as possible. When you installed SCS you must have read the descriptions of the various components, stuff like "faster bears", "better calls for help", "smarter mages" etc. These components are called like that for a reason :)
    Pretty much every encounter is going to be more difficult, so good scouting, and strategic positioning with your party (you don't want everyone to be assaulted at the same time) is essential. Don't underestimate any foe.
    Happy travels! :D
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2014
    Agree that going multi-class is smart and in some ways more fun (i.e., you can then enjoy both class skills simultaneously throughout the game). Myself, the only way I dual-class is right at the start of a game. In BGEE for a Fighter/Mage I will only dual at Fighter 3. I proceed immediately to High Hedge for potions of mirror eyes and then to the bassilisk map, and clear it of bassilisks. Then I have a Fighter 3/Mage 4 right out of the gate. Otherwise I'm really not a fan of dual-classing (except occasionally with NPCs such as Xzar and Shar-Teel).
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Thank you for the well wishes guys. My plan is to get a party as fast as possible and basically hide behind them throughout the game. If someone's gonna die, it won't be Mikkath!!! The adventure will continue tonight, hopefully, after I get off work :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited May 2014
    So, Mikkath has survived SCS Tarnesh with the first attempt. I'm so glad because I've had some scares about your encounter with Tarnesh as soon as I've heard about the "first blind SCS playthrough". You've been very cautious and put him far away from Tarnesh - I should say it could be one of the only few right solutions here (Power word: Sleep is literally the end of a first level party), so good job!

I can recommend always act this way in the future.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Garrick hung back and sang his battle song to bolster the group while Imoen, Mikkath, and Xzar began the ambush.

That's Eldoth, sir ;)

Otherwise well played!
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    SCS changes some of the NPC locations?
    @Aristillius

Yes, it's one of the components of this mod that can be installed if you wish.

I find it very convenient to be able to get Eldoth, Tiax, Quayle when you really want them and not when the game forces you to do so. Viconia and Shar-Teel are also relocated to more "close to the main quest" areas.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/scs_docs/NPC.html

Garrick hung back and sang his battle song to bolster the group while Imoen, Mikkath, and Xzar began the ambush.

That's Eldoth, sir ;)

Otherwise well played!
    Haha! It was about midnight when I was putting that together, but thanks for pointing that out. The appropriate edit has been made lol. Yes, I am going to be very VERY careful with mages. With the ogre I was pretty confident after Imoen scouted him and saw he was alone. I wish I had landed the killing blow on Tarnesh...I need the XP! More to come tonight. I'm hoping to make some significant progress as my wife will be working late :)

That's Eldoth, sir ;)

Otherwise well played!
    Haha! It was about midnight when I was putting that together, but thanks for pointing that out. The appropriate edit has been made lol. Yes, I am going to be very VERY careful with mages. With the ogre I was pretty confident after Imoen scouted him and saw he was alone. I wish I had landed the killing blow on Tarnesh...I need the XP! More to come tonight. I'm hoping to make some significant progress as my wife will be working late :)
    Very smart to avoid mages, and to a lesser extent priests until you can protect yourself properly against their magic or send in summons (for example skellies if you get a priest in your party) to soak up enemy spells. Minsc, as you surely know, has a (suboptimal) rage ability which might also help you against spellcasters.
    I thought i'd be able to make a lot of progress, but decided to take a break after 2 party deaths, and then I got distracted. I actually completely forgot about the assassin in the Red Sheaf and as soon as i saw him coming at me I nearly panicked. "How would this guy be beefed up? What HLA is he going to spring on me?" was going through my head. I think small increments, taking it slow, is probably the key for me to survive. I really need to get some XP on these guys cause right now I can't enter into any combat with confidence. I just hope nobody gets chunked, but if anyone does I hope it's Xzar. I almost didn't revive him but I'm not sure how many party members are going to die at this rate and I figure I'll need all I can get.
    Well guys it's over. Dead at the hand of Mulahey.

After Xzar's repeated deaths and general lack of usefulness, Mikkath decided he needed more reliable friends, and returned to the friendly arm inn to finally meet with the friends Gorion had told him about. Jaheira and Khalid joined the group, and Monty and Xzar took a hike. Jaheira was adament we get to Nashkel soon, so the group headed out immediately. On the way, they met a warrior princess named Shar-Teel who hated men with a passion. She challenged the group and Mikkath accepted, easily besting her with two strokes of his new magic staff. She joined the group and immediately showed her usefulness dispatching a group of kobalds down the road.

Further down, the group was stopped by a trio of guards that accused them of being bandits. Mikkath denied the allegation but the guards wanted him to surrender and let them take him into custody. Yea freaking right, the group took them down with ranged attacks and hit/runs and an entangle spell. The result? plate mail for khalid, shar-teel, and Mikkath! Woot!! image

Into Nashkel they went, and headed for the first inn they could find for a night's sleep. Of course, another freaking assassin. This one hit the group with a hold-spell that stopped Jaheira cold. The rest of the group went outside to regroup. Mikkath took off his armor so he could cast, as did Eldoth, and they re-entered to find the assassin wailing away on Jaheira's frozen body. Blindness was to no avail, but larloch's interrupted her casting, and the group finished her off with missiles before Jaheira fell.
    A night's sleep was nice, and the group moved on through the town, learning of a couple of bounties along the way. On the way to the mines they were stopped by an odd scene. A group of bandits tried to rob them, but another bandit showed up and started hacking away at the bandits. Mikkath and company finished them off and collected a magical wakizashi and a nice shield. While they were grateful to the half-orc, they had no intention of letting someone so...foul into their group. While stumbling around trying to find the mine entrance, the group overshot and ran smack into prism! Upon hearing his story, however, it seemed as though he should be allowed to finish his work. Prism warned Mikkath that Greywolf was looking for him, so the group took precautions. Jaheira blessed the group and they spread out. Sure enough, Greywolf appeared and the fight was on. Shar-Teel downed a potion of invulnerability and wearing the ankheg plate the group had found in a field (SCORE!), she held her own while the group pelted him with missiles. Greywolf would not go down easily, however, and it seemed as though nobody could score a hit. Eventually Shar-Teel took a frigid strike and had to down a healing potion and flee. It was now time to resort to hit-run tactics. Whoever Greywolf chased ran while the rest kept firing. Finally, the bounty hunter fell, and Shar-Teel was rewarded with one sweet, bitchin sword.
    Into the mines they went, and discovered the kobalds were armed with a never-before-seen dagger that did additional poison damage. They pushed on with Shar-Teel leading the way, armed with strong armor and a girdle of piercing to soak up the arrows, but on the 3rd level, Jaheira fell. image Press on, or return to the surface and revive her? Without her entangle the group didn't like their chances, so it was back to the temple. Again they returned to the 3rd level. Imoen, wearing stealthy boots she found on a hobgoblin, hid in the shadows and scouted the area, disabling any traps she found while invisible. The group pressed through a kobald shaman and chieftan, and it was soon time to enter what appeared to be the boss's hideout.

Tired and depleted of spells, the group nevertheless decided to try their luck (stupidly), their minds on the sizeable reward and additional experience a victory would bring them. Imoen set a trap at the door and the entire group piled into Mulahay's room. Khalid told Mikkath that they should stay near the door incase they needed to make an escape, but Mikkath brazenly ignored the snivelling coward and put their backs to the wall, thinking he could Shar-Teel, wearing the ankheg plate and the belt of piercing, would soak up any kobald arrows while the rest of the group plastered Mulahay. Of course, nobody expected Mulahay to bust out with an UNHOLY BLIGHT SPELL!!!! Boom, Mikkath and half the party fell, and it was game over. image
    Ugh, I felt like I was doing so well. Greywolf's demise gave me too much confidence, and I forgot I was playing SCS and that Mulahay would be beefed up.

Tips anyone? Don't be an idiot and corner myself before starting a fight with a badass? Yea, that's probably the tip I need.
    edited May 2014
    Wow at least you achieved a number of good feats (Silke can be lethal and Greywolf as well).

right now I can't enter into any combat with confidence.

In a way that's a good thing: you'll be more careful...

I just hope nobody gets chunked, but if anyone does I hope it's Xzar. I almost didn't revive him but I'm not sure how many party members are going to die at this rate and I figure I'll need all I can get.

Noooo, Xzar's amazing, great for the roleplay aspect.

As to your question. First of all, I never rush to the Nashkel Mines, it's recommendable to explore a bit more, get some more XP and items, better spells. I think Xzar, Monty, Khalid, and Jaheira only want you to speak to Berrun Ghastkill in Nashkel so there's no rush to go to the mines. If you want to face Mulahey at lower levels, being or having a Cleric is really welcome: I often Hold or Silence him before he can do anything. Having a mage cast Blindness (casting time of only 2) also works very well most of the time. At higher levels you can summon some minions (preferably skeletons, which would again require a Cleric) to occupy Mulahey.

You could also play a Neutral character (so that Unholy Blights won't affect you ;)

Thank you for the tips. It was still a really fun run. The fights are more dangerous, and each encounter feels like a potential death. I will be trying again, but I posting the story on the boards is a lot of work, lol.

Thank you for the tips. It was still a really fun run. The fights are more dangerous, and each encounter feels like a potential death. I will be trying again, but I posting the story on the boards is a lot of work, lol.

I hope you don't tire of the posting. It's interesting to read, and what makes it even more interesting is your minimal experience with SCS...
    more like complete lack of experience with SCS lol
    Ohh, @ZaknafeinBaenre‌ , I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also sorry for the latest character of @Blackraven‌. It turns out no-reload SCS games are likely to finish in a fail. But no matter what the result is, the journal of someone's adventure is always interesting and insightful.

So, it would be great to read about new characters. And the fact it's a blind playthrough makes Zak's adventure even more different.
    Yesterday I created a new character and tried another run. Instead of going straight to the mines I wanted to range out first a bit. I met up with Minsc and decided to try to save Dynaheir with him. We never made it to the knoll stronghold, we were waylaid by a cave bear that one-hit killed my charname...a very sad end indeed. e
    Sorry, but this made me laugh :D
    Sh*t happens on SCS. Invisibility (or stealth) is your friend. One of the first spells I buy at the High Hedge. Maybe go Chaotic Good for the Fairy Dragon familiar, or play a thief variant.