Skip to content

[Mild Spoiler] Ghoul town - Random Lich

Heyya all!

So I just experienced something most unusual. I'm running a two player party (in multi) with a KenSage (dual at 13) and a SwashbuCleric (dual at 10). I'm quite high level now for the chapter, but I only got to the Eye of the Cult now.

There is the area below the main cult base, if you go down the hole beside the friend of the ex-cultist.
So, after hacking away a few mummies and ghasts, I went in after the ghoul who talks to you. First I wiped the first room, then the room with the talking guy and the "too much smell" monologue (north of it, to the other exit), and finally the room to the west.
Now, in the room to the west, a Lich appeared, and as this isn't quite my first play-through, he caught me quite unaware (I didn't have any spell protections up, nor my simulacrum running). I almost got him, but then his death spell got trough (I think it might have been a finger of death) and my protagonist was slain.
So, I reloaded, re-entered the area with a tad more defences up, summoned the similacrum, and prepared for the fight... and killed a bunch of mummies and ghasts, with no Lich anywhere near.

Is this normal? Do you random encounter liches?
I always thought major encounters are set in stone...

Comments

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Sounds like you just encountered the "monsters disappearing on reload" bug.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakjackjackelminster
  • GiltinturGiltintur Member Posts: 5
    Oh... well actually on my first reload to the quick save, there where no monsters and I couldn't exit the area, so I went back to the last autosave, and this was what happened afterwards. All other mobs where there.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Had a similar experience recently... Apparently the Umar Hills had 3 liches serving a measly shade lord!
    jackjackMontresor_SP
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    yeah turns out the umar hills are not a good place to NOT spam-rest
    jackjackMacHurto
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Between tactics 'always toughest encounters' and now SCS2 'always toughest encounters (except liches)', I have never seen either the unseeing eye or the shadow temple as quests to do at low levels.

[Spoiler]There should be another lich right after you rescue Imoen, immediately before you meet Dace.[/Spoiler]
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    I always thought liches were supposed to be quite rare. I know, game mechanics and what have you, but it's not like there aren't other undead that are appropriate for high levels - an advanced mummy or a ghoul lord (like Kortash Khain, but of course he hadn't been invented yet when BGII first came out) could fill that role too.
    jackjack