Skip to content

Hearthstone!

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited May 2014 in Off-Topic
Sup fools!

Boo is back after a break from the forum. I have recently discovered a new video game. Its a card game online (which sounds weird) that plays like magic the gathering and is absolutely FREE (if you want it to be)

I have been playing it during my lunch breaks and on rides to work and have been loving it. It takes place in the Warcraft world, but you don't need any knowledge about it to play (I have absolutely zero knowledge about World of Warcraft outside of that awesome South Park episode... still hoping to get the Sword of a Thousand Truths card in Hearthstone).

There is some cool strategy involved. You basically have creatures and spells. The creatures are like orcs and gnomes and dwarves and elves and shiznit. Some cool creatures like giant trees and dinosaurs that eat things. There is also a cup that heals people that I surprise my opponent with when I turn it into a massive damage dealing goblet of fire. Its pretty sweet.

Anyone else play? What are your favorite "heroes"? I like the priest.

PS: I named all my decks after Baldur's Gate Characters (Paladin-Keldorn, Priest-Anomen, Druid-Cernd, Rogue-Safana, Hunter-Kivan, Warrior-Minsc, Mage-Imoen) except for Warlock and Shaman

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/
jackjackJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    What's this, no link!? I have to google this myself?
    Aarrggghhhh
    booinyoureyesjackjack
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited May 2014
    added!

There are nine heroes. Each have some unique cards that are usually the basis for their play-style and they all have a unique power that costs 2 mana. Most cards are neutral however, and some are used in most decks.

Priest: Heals 2 life. Generally difficult to play and involves controlling the field and frustrating opponents by countering their spells. I played blue deck in magic when I was 13 (I only played with two friends, lol. I thought I was good but I probably sucked) so this is kinda my favorite
    Hunter: does two damage to opposing hero. Mostly creature cards. Sets traps and concentrates on killing your creatures and wearing you down.
    Mage: Does 1 damage with a fire ball. Basically uses different types of spells (direct damage, incapacitating minions) to win
    Paladin: Summons small squires. Basically concentrates on getting lots of good creatures and minions, buffing them up to badasses and then healing himself with lay on hands.
    Warrior: Gives himself 2 armor. Basically a tank who buffs his minions and defends himself.
    Warlock: Sacrifices 2 health to get a card. Basically a kamikaze lunatic who tries to beat you asap.
    Shaman: Summons "totems" that do random shiznit. Has a lot of good cheap spells.
    Rogue: Can equip a dagger. Basically a dirty fighter: kills your minions, steals your stuff, redirects your damage. Basically a sleaze but fun to play.
    Druid: Can shapeshift to give it an attack and an armor. Has MASSIVE creatures that are expensive, and some good buffs for them.
    meaglothjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited May 2014
    i play. haven't in a little while though. i'm still not the greatest. i think i got 1 lucky arena run that took me to 6, but i lost a lot of those out of the luck of my choices anyway. i just have so much to do that I haven't touched it in a bit, but I would occassionally get on. oh, and i have no warcraft experience either
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on
    booinyoureyes
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Ive read about it. Maybe I should try it out sometime :)
    booinyoureyes
    @Aristillius‌ you should try it! I only have one friend who plays (the one who introduced me) so I'd love some more. Its free!

@ChildofBhaal599‌ if you ever get back into it pm me!
    Aristillius
    edited May 2014
    if I am honest my, along with a few others, lack of activity has been due to elder scrolls online. despite all that is said, @heindrich and I enjoy it a lot. although it also has to do with dark souls 2, with which I am currently doing a no death/no bonfire run and my repurchase of dragon age origins for PC. so haven't been on hearthstone alongside other things like BG (beyond our MP game) for the past month and a half

edit: I might say that a lot of things said of ESO are false. there are solo areas, but they can generally be joined by the friends list. just yesterday I needed help in a solo area so heindrich and another friend joined me (it certainly wasn't a well made solo encounter) the dungeons can be really fun and challenging, and to be honest, the greatly bugged content is in the dominion areas. our first veteran area as covenant players was dominion and we were greeted by the bug fest which, luckily, wasn't as bad due to patching in that time. still, the covenant content was extremely playable, so I guess I understand why we have a better experience than some big reviewers
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    I played it a lot, even payed for a beta key, lol. Silly. I got pretty good, even got a couple of 9s in the arena when that was the limit..

But I had to stop playing: on the one hand it was too addicting, and on the other I kept getting beaten by people with the uber cards, which you don't have much chance of getting unless you pay, which was really frustrating. It was exacerbating my depression and after one particularly bad streak I was left thinking "why am I playing this? I beat myself up every time I lose and don't feel much of anything much when I win". Also, games with no defined end scare me. I have an addictive personality and I didn't want to waste too much time with it.

But I'm sure someone more -ahem- emotionally stable than me will have a great time with it.
    lolienjackjackbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @dustbubsy‌ I'm just the same way.
    booinyoureyesloliendustbubsyCrevsDaak
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @booinyoureyes, I play Hearthstone sometimes, and also Might and Magic Duel of Champions (another free online fantasy card game - you should check it out.)

Hearthstone put me in a nostalgic mood for WoW, so I actually renewed my WoW subscription and started leveling a new druid. Thus, I've been playing cards less and trying to get my money's worth out of that subscription fee for the past couple of weeks.

I was surprised how much I like the two card games I've played. I get really into collecting the cards and admiring the art work. MMDoC is a bit more generous with rewards for playing and helping you build your collection (even if you lose every match) than Hearthstone, and the strategy and card artwork are a lot more sophisticated than in Hearthstone, but I like them both.

One nice thing about the card games is that they're great for when you have a little bit of time to kill, but you don't have enough time or are too tired to get immersed into an rpg. A match has a beginning, a middle, and an end, with a clear winner and loser, and is over in less than 30-60 minutes.
    booinyoureyes
    edited May 2014
    so... god costs 11 mana and can never be summoned? or does the ring at 10 mana still bring you to 11? :)

so... god costs 11 mana and can never be summoned? or does the ring at 10 mana still bring you to 11? :)

that and the druid can do it
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    One can only have 10 mana.
    Attempting to go past that amount with druid magicks will award an Excess Mana card.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakjackjack
    you can still play it with that time bomb card!
    ChildofBhaal599
    oh yeah. the one that summons something random in your hand. good point
    booinyoureyes
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you.
    One does not simply avoid quoting Barry Burton.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakAristilliusNonnahswriter