Skip to content

Mod NPC Idea(s). Feel Free To Add Your Own!

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Flashburn said:

@Blackraven‌
    Yeah, I'll give you that. What I meant to say is that Selokah would look up to Keldorn because of his fatherly influence and as a mentor. And I bet Anomen would apologize to him after being knighted, since he does that to another party member, though I forget who...

Ok, I get it. Anomen apologizes to Keldorn by the way.
    Flashburn said:

@Blackraven‌
    Also I just realized as I was stringing together syllables for Selokah's name, that it sounds almost the same as the Sahuagin's god, Sekolah. I'm open to suggestions because I clearly can't come up with anything unique.

How about Brunash for a name? I just used (most) letters from your screen name.... :)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    YES, that's exactly what I was looking for! Distinctly barbaric but not as brutal or foreign-sounding as an orcish name like Ug-Thak.

Thanks @Blackraven!
    Flashburn said:

YES, that's exactly what I was looking for! Distinctly barbaric but not as brutal or foreign-sounding as an orcish name like Ug-Thak.

Thanks @Blackraven!

:D You're most welcome!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Flashburn‌ Gur-Thoz takes offense to you calling his name brutal and foreign-sounding. ;p
    But Gur-Thoz has a much better flowing name than Ug-Thak. I'm singing his name right now. Sounds quite beautiful. Gur-Thoz should be confident about his poetic sounding name.
    Let's say I have come up with many orcish names over the years. ;) Mostly based on The Elder Scroll's naming styles, since that's my favorite game series, but I've improvised a bit as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014

@elminister, great backstory. I wonder how does he behave toward charname and other NPCs. I see that he's chaotic evil, but Xzar, Korgan, Tiax, Shar-Teel show us that CE can mean different things...

Yea I never got very far into the actual dialogue or thinking about how NPC's would react to him. The only dialogue I did end up ever writing for him was for BGEE and that was basically just joining/not joining dialogue.

As for charname his reaction towards you depends on what you say and that is in part determined by your alignment. I would say that he is extremely dismissive of a character who gives the "good" response, amused by the neutral response, and is intrigued by the other responses.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

I'd like to mention @Lemernis here, because he once started to work on a mod for a Neutral Good Half-Orc Cleric/Thief. Maybe we could convince him to get the mod done ;)

Thank you for the mention! I do plan one day to mod Eldarian. (I also plan to eventually update that page link to include other builds by you all, but I selfishly decided to play the game instead during my current break from school; which unfortunately ends today.)

The problem is time management. I work full time and attend school full time, which leaves little to no hobby time (except to browse the forums now and then). So getting mod written is going to be a long term project.
    @iuventas, great idea! Highly original, I hope this mod will come into existence one day :)
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    s far as mod ideas go
    I always wanted a Romance mod for Mazzy Fenton
    The CHARNAME would have to be a Male Gnome or Halfling or Dwarf
    of Good Aligment

s far as mod ideas go
    I always wanted a Romance mod for Mazzy Fenton
    The CHARNAME would have to be a Male Gnome or Halfling or Dwarf
    of Good Aligment

Mazzy is awesome. People have worked on a romance mod, but it has been "in progress" for ages so I'm pretty sure it's an abandoned project. There is a Mazzy friendship mod though, but I'm aware that's not the same thing. Besides I don't know if it can be used for EE.

@iuventas‌ That's an awesome character!
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I hadn't though of this too much but I would have some idea. I've always liked the one-handed swordman character (from various Hong-Kong movies). We could have a character missing his right hand and using his left hand to use a sword or an axe and a shield on the right arm, not certain the game engine would allow this though.

Other than that, ideas comming to my mind, I was disapointed you have to kill Gamaz during Rasaad's quest. We could have the opportunity to betray Rasaad and have Gamaz instead.
    Alright, here's some more consistent post. I wanted a character that would have references to others D&D games, I though the trick Myrkul used in Neverwinter Nights 2 to not be forgotten could be mentioned, not to forget Bane himself returned too.

Azerbael is an assimar paladin of the triad. That means a casual paladin but instead of worshipping Tyr, Torm or Ilmater (gods usually using paladins) he worship them three equally. He has visions of the evil three returning (Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul). In his dreams he forsees the battles of the bhaalspawn as well as the souleater curse (from Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer).

Azerbael can be first found in Candlekeep, when the main character returns there to hunt Rieltar and Brunos. Azerbael felt something there (actually Sarevok) although he won't comment on anything and will just be seen reading books and walking down the library. He shouldn't be recruited at this point.

After the murder of the Iron Throne leadership he can be seen again in front of the Ducal Palace waiting for the main character. If the main character is evil he will reveal himself as a paladin that came to cleanse the area of the taint and will fight the character, making him impossible to recruit for an evil party. If the character can convince him he is acting for the good and does not plan to spread destruction he will join the party to dispatch Sarevok. He could only be recruited very late in BGI, making him rather unique in this way.

He would have more importance in BGII. Leaving always some ambiguity as to why he is following the main character. Would it be to watch the main character and make sure he doesn't give up to his murderous nature? To make sure his power does not fall in the wrong hands? Or to use the main character as a bait for evil bhaalspawns? He should be met, in BGII, in the Temple district, in the temple of Helm during an argument with priests. Azerbael would blame them their lack of action in the brewing crisis and guild war in Amn. Reminding them a war was close with Baldur's Gate and that they did not take action.

Although a lawful good character Azerbael would be very intolerant toward evil characters. Not that he is a fascist or an inquisitor, but he considers the destructions he sees in dreams must not happen at all cost. As such he will do everything to keep all evils away from the main character, and if that can't be done he'll fight him himself. He would never tolerate characters like Dorn or Hexxat, nor Edwin or Viconia although he would do everything to spare the latters life if he meets her in the government district. He wouldn't tolerate any alliance with Bodhi and would feel extremely uneasy to work with the Shadow Thieves. A particular quest could involve him and the main character trying to find an alternative way to reach Spellhold, with support from the government. Although for story purposes this should fail.

His personnal quest in BGII would involve him using the main character as a bait to trap a vicious and evil bhaalspawn (by leaving hints behind of the characters travels). The bhaalspawn being vicious magician with a sexual taste for children (well, someone anyone here would love to kill). The main character could moraly question Azerbael, telling him his way of doing things is turning him into monster and if the gods he serve would approve (that, of course, would cause a moral dilema to the main character as the other bhaalspawn is a real piece of filth). Or the character could approve and chase the magician and his pets. The main character can also simply tell him he dislikes being used and controled (without questioning his actions) and the discussion can end in a fight.

Leading Azerbael to question his actions will cause his to stay with the character and help him fighting Irenicus and other Bhaalspawn.

Assuming the character did not recruit him, he would appear again in Sarradush during the siege, deprived of his paladin power and driven insane by his visions and confused memories (as aasimars can have memories from their previous lives). He is hunting whatever bhaalspawn he can find and sometimes kill innocents in the process. After the fight with Grommir-il-Khan he would appear again as a mini-boss.

On the other hand, if the character kept him along there would be other possibilities. If he was allowed to continue acting his way he loses his paladin powers and becomes a casual fighter, if he was questioned he expresses regrets about being manipulative and keep his powers.
    Since I'm in a sort of creative mood tonight (BTW English isn't my first language, please don't get mad over my mistakes here and there).

Gregoyr is a torturer (his gameplay class is that of a human cleric of talos). He can be met in the Temple of Talos in BGII and he is currently unemployed after his last client lost his mind in the process. Gregoyr has to be one of the freakest character of amn. Respected but hated, he has no friends nor anyone that wants to be around him, which fits him well because he can't stand anyone around him for more than a few minutes. He is interested by the tortures Irenicus inflicted to the main character and point makes him curious about it. He would follow the main character just to meet Irenicus. He would favour the main character to join Bodhi and would remain mesmerized in the vampire nest before all these torture tools.

Meeting with Irenicus he is extremely dispointed by his motives, and that the torture isn't exactly what he expected. Returning to the mainland the group would fall in a ambush, some of Gregoyr's previous victims had powerful relatives and they hired "the butcher" (a dwarf fighter) and his group to hunt Gregoyr.

Meeting with the nobles in their estate (which we could guess as being in the countryside) Gregoyr would upset Cyric by murdering the butcher's employer, a priest which is not a relative but nothing less than the victim previously mentioned (the one that lost his mind under Gregoyr's torture, making him fit to worship an insane god). The main character shouldn't have much choice here since Gregoyr kills the mad priest no matter the character's speech.

In ToB Cyric could be seen releasing a prisonner from his keep, offering him freedom if he kills Gregoyr. The prisonner being a planar serial murderer and one of Bhaal's favourite (like a demonknight but even more psychotic). The demonknight meets the character and Gregoyr on the way to the Oasis and an epic fight ensue.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    Urkhal Gravedigger, formerly of clan Ozkyra

Background:

Around a century ago, in the murky depths of the Underdark, the blind seeress of the duergar clan Ozkyra began to scream, mere moments before the birth of their chieftan's son. "He comes!", she wailed and clawed at her milk-white eyes. "He comes, the Endbringer, the Death of Us All! He comes!"

No less than a dozen clanmembers, who had had no doubts in their minds who the "he" the seeress had mentioned was, stormed into their leaders' bedchamber in order to slay hid newborn child. The chieftan's first and final act of love towards son was to protect him from his would-be-killers.

Many a year later, Urkhal, the chieftain's child, showed signs of the arcane running through his very viens. Respected and feared for his powers, he eventually grew into his father's second-in-command. Yet all was not well; for Urkhal was not like most duergar. While not kind he was also not as vile as most of his kind. There was no hatred in him; only sorrow. He blamed himself for his mother's death, for she had been cut down the day he was born.

Urkhal's father tried to beat sense into his child to no avail. For every bruise he gifted his son he only ensured his own downfall and that of clan Ozkyra. In the end, Urkhal escaped during the night, with only the clothes on his back, his trusted staff and the skull of his long-dead mother with him.

Once he was on the surface, he began to plot and scheme. He would make sure that the tragedy that befell him and his mother would never happen again. He would grow stronger, he vowed to his mother's skull, and once he had the power he desired, he would bring her back... and destroy his clan for good.

Urkhal Gravedigger

Race: Duergar
    Class: Sorcerer
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Stats:

Str: 10
    Dex: 15
    Con: 18
    Int: 16
    Wis: 8
    Cha: 14

Current location: Graveyard District of Athkantla

Goal: To attain lichdom, to bring his mother back to life and to destroy his former clan. You can either help or try to stop him from doing all of these things during his personal quest. If he becomes a lich, however, he can no longer be part of your party. He would instead serve another role... as to what, I'm unsure of.

He wouldn't be romanceable.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    edited May 2014
    Gustav Alminan
    Human
    Undead slayer
    Lawful Good(of course, he is a paladin)
    Patron deity: Ilmather
    Inate ability: Ilmathers boon: like lay on hands but three times per day, unusable on self.
    Weapon Proficiencies
    **mace
    **bastard sword
    *axe
    *longwsord

He owns his family's sword, SpiceTrade, a +3 bastard sword with +1 fire and acid damage and immunity to charms.

He grew up on as the son of a spice merchant. He traveled a lot and knows a lot about spices. His favorite aroma is however that of the ginger. When he was eight, on a trip in Athkatla, his house was attacked by a group of vampires. Both his parents died. He got saved by members of the Order, Kheldorn and Reynald de Chatillon being some of them. However, when the Order's cleric examined him, they discovered that the vampires stole his soul. He was still a good tempered boy who tried to help others when he could, so they decided to help him. He started worshipping Ilmather, because he wanted to be abble to help reduce others' suffering when he couldn't get his soul back.

You find him ten years later in the Athkatla's Cathacombs. He seeks a vampire lair because the vampire who stole his soul would be the leader of that group. He finds the door but can't open it so he decides to join you instead on your quest when you tell him you met some vampires on your journey or tell him you also try to alleviate the pain around you.

When you have Gustav in your party, you cannot join the vampires faction for help. He will refuse and start attacking you turning LN and LG Anomen, Kheldorn, Mazzy, Rasaad, Jaheira and Cernd against the vampires. He believes that the thieves are not an honorable choice, but they are at least better than those abominations. He is mostly angry at Bodhi when you speak to her for the first time, because she is the one who stole his soul, but she doesn't seem to remember it. She even claim she hasn't stolen anybodys soul... yet. If you join the vampires without him in your party even if you made him join or not, he will attack you at the exit of the tombs with a party of about 10 paladins. He will also turn against you all of the other NPCs.

When you finally kill Bodhi and Imoen takes back her soul, nothing happens for him. After a short emotional breakdown, you both start searching to know why he doesn't have a soul. After visiting a few clerics and diviners, you hear of a man who might be abble to help you: a wizard named Lazarus who lives in Saradush (he studied on souls or some other mumbo jumbo). You can promise him to go to Saradush with him one day, if you don't, Imoen still says she will go with him. Whatever you choose, he accepts to help you out until your quest is done.

When ToB comes... You go to Saradush! You can go and see Lazarus who accepts to help you if you are abble to give him the eyes of a basilik. When you leave his shop, Imoen and Gustav start arguing on how to put your hand on some. None of them has a clue on how to get some. The dialogue ends with Gustaav saying "If only we could wish for some."
    You know what you have to do. After a short battle against a few (or more depending on your wisdom) basilisks, you can give the eyes to Lazarus. He then tells you that Gustav doesn't have a soul because he is a redhead.
    Thats all.
    Everyone in the party is shocked at this revelation. Gustav is devastated. Imoen tries to make him feel better, after which he confess his love to her. Imoen is also attracted to him and sugest she gives him part of her soul so he can live in the afterlife and so they will literaly be soulmates.

Party interaction:

Kheldorn: He respects the older paladin and asks him about his wisdom and experience.
    Cernd: He is curious about the druidic philosophy. He talks about him on how undeads are abomination that go against the natural order.
    Jaheira: Similar conversation as with Cernd, but he also treats her realy kindly trying to ease the pain of her loss.
    Anomen: Anomen is jealous of him because he passed his test while he didn't. Anomen tries to avoid talking to him and ignores him when Gustav tries to make a conversation. If he fails his test, Anomen will be more friendly with gustav while he will get angry at him and become aggressive if he fails.
    Mazzy: He respects her determination and admires her because of that. They share a similar sense of justice and honor.
    Rasaad: They don't talk much but they agree on what they think is the right thing to do. He supports Rasaad in his quest for justice.
    Valygar: Like Rasaad, they don't talk much. They have different personalities and different lifestyle : Gustav being the city Valygar being the woods. They however regognise that they both fight for what they believe is good and treat the other with respect.
    Minsc and Aerie: he tries to help them both with their pain and their loss. He even tells them that they might find comfort if they start trusting each other more since they both suffered a lot.
    Nalia: Gustav tries to understand how and why she tries to help the needy. He agrees on the why but is doubtfull on the how.
    Neera: He tries to make her more confident and stable because he doesn't want her to be in constant fear of her wild surges. And because he wants to stay alive.
    Jan: Oddly enough, those two enjoy their time together a lot.They discuss cooking and trade recipees. Gustav's past in a spice caravan makes him know a lot on the merchants trade and on cooking. They even work together to create a secret turnip ginger recipee.
    Haer Dalis: They don't get along. Gustav asks the thiefling what is the point of his art if it doesn't help anyone. The bard only answers that art is its only reason to be. Gustav doesn't understand so he doesn't push the matter.
    Dorn: they fight, one dies. The end.
    Hexxat: She is a vampire. Gustav hates vampires. He kills her (or tries to).
    Edwin: Gustav distrusts the red wizard. Since you won't authorize him to kill him he chooses not to talk to him.
    Korgan: Gustav distrusts him in the begining but when Korgan starts sharring his love of ginger ale, Gustav starts liking him more. Someone who likes ginger ale can't realy be such a bad person.
    Sarevok: The more Sarevok shows signs of redemption, the more he likes him.
    Viconia: If CHARNAMe is romancing her, they don't have too much of a conflict. However, if CHARNAMe doesn't, she will try hittng on him. To which he feels really unconfortable and doesn't know how to react.
    Imoen: He is instabtly moved when you tell him how she got imprisonned and vows to help you get her back. When you do, they become fast friends and get a lot closer as time goes on. They start faling in love with each other.

Edit:

I can't believe I really wrote down that much on something that was only a bad joke on gingers not having souls....

Edit #2 : Now I have to learn how to mod, i really like this guy!
    @Wolk‌ I like him too! Although I'm not too sure about the joke... *has a little red in my hair and multiple family members with red hair* ;p
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    Elrandir said:

@Wolk‌ I like him too! Although I'm not too sure about the joke... *has a little red in my hair and multiple family members with red hair* ;p

I'm sorry if you got 'offended :P

The character just started as a joke, the back story and quest line just went with it :P

I might change a bit of it to make him more believable...
    Oh yes. You know how people on the internet are. I'm HIGHLY "offended" ;p
    Why has no one made a Deekin Scalesinger mod? Am I the only one who wants the best companion in any game ever to be a part of my Baldur's Gate adventure? I mean, sure, it might be a BIT tricky to make him work mechanically, but it could be done!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Especially now that there's a Dragon Disciple kit in BG2:EE... :)
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Nice picture but that cap of his isn't very charming. And he doesn't look like 19STR/ 19CON.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    SionIV said:

Nice picture but that cap of his isn't very charming. And he doesn't look like 19STR/ 19CON.

"In time Yeorg's power grew, enough so that he learned a few more spells at least. This included an ability to make his physical appearance appear that of a much older human mage, as well as the ability to hide his lower level spell casting from the Cowled Wizards. In that time he has become obsessed with acquiring power, even going so far as to ally himself with a yet unnamed emerging faction within the city. It was after all this that Yeorg encountered CHARNAME within the Mithrest Inn."

I'll have to change obviously the stuff on where you encounter him for BGEE, and I may very well include a more half-dragon like portrait for people who want that portrait look.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

"In time Yeorg's power grew, enough so that he learned a few more spells at least. This included an ability to make his physical appearance appear that of a much older human mage, as well as the ability to hide his lower level spell casting from the Cowled Wizards. In that time he has become obsessed with acquiring power, even going so far as to ally himself with a yet unnamed emerging faction within the city. It was after all this that Yeorg encountered CHARNAME within the Mithrest Inn."
    But...But...The cap? What about the cap!?