Skip to content

How much money/gold does the average NPC make?

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
edited May 2014 in Off-Topic
I noticed that 8 gold is considered a lot of gold at an inn.

How would you estimate the economy on the Sword Coast? How much would you say the average laborer makes?
Post edited by LadyRhian on

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I've thought about this, and it doesn't really work. If 1g is a lot, then why is it the smallest unit in game? If it isn't a lot, then why do beggars freak out when you give them just one, and why do commoners only make 1/day? Also, shops only sell weapons and fighting supplies, so there's no frame of reference.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Wouldn't that make Bitter Black even more expensive? In theory? Having to be imported from Cormyr?
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    CaloNord said:

Wouldn't that make Bitter Black even more expensive? In theory? Having to be imported from Cormyr?

Well, Tecate is a beer imported from Mexico and it is cheap as hell.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    No, not if it's cheaper in Arabel. I like "Old One-Eye" myself. It's made from a recipe learned from a cyclops. And "Winter Wine" is a blue-purple color. People joke it's made from grapes that "caught a chill". But the grapes are left on the vine until winter has them frozen, then crushed and made into wine while still frozen. :)

"Suzale" is the ale made for the household of the Royal Family, and "Elminster's Choice" isn't really such. As Aurora's Whole Realms catalogue says, Elminster will drink "anything this side of Gorgon's milk". :)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I know in 3rd the average for a low skill worker is about 1 silver daily. However, a skilled labourer (ie doing a job requiring skill ranks) typically makes 2 sp per day per character level... but thats only for classes that help you with that trade. Most trades people in 3rd are experts, but probably most people are commoners (aka subsistence farming). Its more or less like medieval europe, with a great many people having no extra money to spend, but living reasonably if they could and did work pretty hard. Land was 'rented' from a local gentry, but generally stuff was passed down a family line. These commoners would be capable of many basic aspects of trades, or they went broke. They could build a house, probably a small cart and simple furniture etc if they have some tools (likely handed down). Trades people were different, and usually quite good at their skill, in addition to having the basic skill set everyone had. Important trades were usually run by guilds, especially in more populated areas. This isnt really represented well. I would say in a more dark ages setting, guilds werent as prevelant, but neither was armour! Not a coincidence btw.

Mercenaries earn 1 silver per day per level for low risk work, ie guarding a house, assuming they are Warrior NPC class. Any PC class levels cost 1 gold per level per day, so hiring a fighter costs ~10x as much as a warrior. Maintaining an army is expensive! Note, that price assumes you are supplying and replacing gear needed.

There was a definite attempt in 3rd to make economies kinda reasonable, but things fall apart when you count even mid to low level adventurers. An adventurer with 2k gp in disposable income is pretty wealthy, being wealthier than plenty of nobles (their assets wouldnt be liquid, and land has upkeep costs/nobles have to maintain a minimum standard of living). This is played straight when a 'retired' low level adventurer buys an inn.