Skip to content

Planescape Torment: EE

SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
Does beamdog have plans for this? Can someone point out solid interviews about it? If not... sad face.

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    No news of Torment EE, but we might go one better:
    https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com

A new torment game by many of the creative team behind the original. They might not have a D&D license, but they do have rights on the Torment franchise, and are working on another game in that mould. Suffice to say, this is probably one of the most anticipated RPGs currently in development, although no idea how soon it may or may not ship.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Yeah, sadly there are no precise news about an possibly planned PT:EE at this point.

Though I do vaguely remember that Beamdog still has either the source files, source code, or both of Planescape: Torment somewhere in their office. Which let's me hope for an enhanced HD edition after they did a possible IWD:EE. :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've also read through some of the rules Monte Cook created, and the mechanics they are using look pretty darn interesting.

I don't know anything about a Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition project, though.
    elminsterCrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I'm not sure what a PST:EE would bring. True the interface is horrible and has aged worse than any other Infinity Engine game, but beyond that what could be improved?

The plot and characters are so tightly interwoven that I don't see any scope for extra content or characters. Also given that the BG: EE NPCs, while better than mod NPCs, stand out as being worse than the Bioware originals both in their writing and content, if they tried to do this in PST I think it would be a fail. Probably wouldn't do as well as BG:EE financially either.
    SuperFeature
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @ryuken87‌ while I agree that adding NPCs or new things to PST will ruin it, this is what a PST:EE should bring, and if it does so, it will be great:
    -Bug free.
    -Crash free.
    -NO new characters.
    -NO new content.
    -Support for bigger resolutions other than 800x600.
    -Fix all what couldn't be finished in the original game.
    -Better engine.
    -Better UI.

If you like PST, you will surely buy it, since the game is very buggy, the UI is very bad*, and that because we aren't talking about combat...

*not it's design, what is bad is where the commands/keys are placed! The UI looks great, but it's bad from an usage point of view.
    meaglothiuventas
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I get the strong feeling that because of this game, we won't see any PST:EE. It's an opinion based on practicality rather than negativity. I'd rather see the team work on either BG3 or on a completely new licence. Kickstarter has shown, with Obsidian's new game as well as inxile's re-imagining of the torment universe, that there is a huge market and interest in what I can only describe as the common term "old school" games where substance of story and characterization(and I'd assume playing time length of a game, at least for me) is more important than today's hollow games where, the game graphics eat up so much of a studio's budget that often times what's left is a short, often uninspired game.

There are many exceptions to this, don't get me wrong(I loved mass effect, dragon age, modern fallout games despite their buggyness, elder scrolls and a few more) and I personally always preferred games with stories, but more than that, games that you don't finish in 2 days because they're so short. How in the hell can you develop a proper story in a game that lasts 20 hrs. This isn't a movie where the action comes to you and can the story can be told in 2 hrs, in games YOU are the action and things take time to develop if that makes any sense at all. so hell ya!, bring on the old school but stil bring me the occasional good story with graphics games like the upcoming DA:inquisition as well as future fallout and elder scrolls single player games. Kiss my train of thought goodbye as it just derailed. Typing this on 2 hrs sleep so I can't make any promises that it'll all make sense lol.
    badbromance
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I'd rather have IWD:EE to be honest. I love Torment, but I think IWD would benefit more from an overhaul.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovFinaLfrontronaldo
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    CrevsDaak said:

-Bug free.

The bug situation will no doubt be improved but let's be honest, if Overhaul make this it ain't gonna be bug free.
    jackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    ryuken87 said:

CrevsDaak said:

-Bug free.

The bug situation will no doubt be improved but let's be honest, if Overhaul make this it ain't gonna be bug free.
    Gotta remind everyone that most of the bugs in the EEs are in the new content.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov