Skip to content

Which class should I play through the entire series?

2»

Comments

• DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    mumumomo said:

Even without quivering palm, just using their huge AC and damage they can slaughter any dragon.

What level does a monk need for his fists to be +3?
    Jagged said:

I've been following along this thread with a similar question. You guys have sold me on the avenger or the blade.

How does the avenger hold up in tob?

It does a nice pinch. Since it is (arguably) one of best weapon in the game next to Crom Freyr. It can be upgraded to a +6.
    edited May 2014
    Since I'm doing finals this week I'm letting this poll keep on rolling. I will decide the highest poll. And oh You guys have been awesome so far :) !
  • MarricMarric Member Posts: 53
    Just to be different, I'd recommend a pure class cleric, chose a kit that fits your playstyle (I'd probably go Lathander for the extra attack). Clerics and Druids benefit most from the BG Tomes (3 wisdom!), and I find clerics spell and blunt weapon selection more consistently useful.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    The avenger is still hot stuff in ToB. At least the original. More useful than a cleric, because it can use those nasty insects (terminate mage enemy), protect with ironskin, bring those superior to cleric's summons, plus shapeshift into a sword spider (great melee) or a baby wyvern (or fire salamander, which is somewhat mediocre, but still invaluable against trolls). And the extra arcane spells are kinky. A chromatic orb after doom, a web followed by sword spider transform, an improved invisibility, a lightning not useless when indoors, and stuff. You cannot go wrong with avenger.

You get a single class, able to do everything fine, minus overpowered spell damage and effects (arcane is for that) and minus easy undead remedies and counters (like cleric ability and certain spells). But on the tradeoff, you can tank, melee, heal, protect, summon and be an anti-mage, all in one, at the same time! Oh, and it can wear both ankheg armor (in 1 is invaluable, in 2 good for start) and dragon scale crafted gear (despite the kit's handicap).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014
    Jagged said:

I've been following along this thread with a similar question. You guys have sold me on the avenger or the blade.

How does the avenger hold up in tob?

It basically is largely the same as a regular druid at this stage (especially if you are level 15). If you are level 15 then you've just gotten a bunch of new spells that generally do a better job than what the avenger offers. The big exception to this is the sword spider but that is namely because shapeshifting forms have two big bugs with them at the moment that are benefiting that particular form rather significantly. Either way I'd say like most druids you are better off using it as a caster that focuses on causing status effects, spell disruption, or on summoning.

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @CrevsDaak, @elminster‌
    yep, and no pausing and no level-ups (@bbear-style).

I wonder if OP meant that type of challenge though. At least Crevs and and I agree on the Druid part.

Am curious to see whether it'll be Monk or Bard...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Am curious to see whether it'll be Monk or Bard...

Bard is only difficult in the first stages of BG1, then, because of your high casting level, Skull Trap vanish almost all the foes, and you have Mage spells, plus all the weapons (although not composite longbows) that a fighter can use, and, yeah, much more style than any other class.
    Monk is only hard in BG1 and you can use Relair's Mistake to become a good melee fighter and the Shield Amulet, in BG2, they are better fighters than fighters and have better Magic Resistance than wizard slayers, so...
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Mage because, like I said, once they get to high levels, they are virtually unbeatable (unless a fighter keeps on hitting them and they keep on saying that hated phrase: "My casting has been interrupted." I hate that phrase so much).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    CrevsDaak said:

elminster said:

CrevsDaak said:

Play Druid with the minimum roll possible, solo, with SCS, Insane difficulty, no reload and you have to play with your nose only, no items and you can only use the unkitted Druid.
    That's what I call a challenge.

Plus play blindfolded without any audio :D
    And without using spells too!
    :P
    And... you're getting a Wizard Slayer
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Gnome illusionist. You can't go wrong.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    bengoshi said:

CrevsDaak said:

elminster said:

CrevsDaak said:

Play Druid with the minimum roll possible, solo, with SCS, Insane difficulty, no reload and you have to play with your nose only, no items and you can only use the unkitted Druid.
    That's what I call a challenge.

Plus play blindfolded without any audio :D
    And without using spells too!
    :P
    And... you're getting a Wizard Slayer
    Hell, no, that'd be *TOO* easy, the WS can get a higher HP roll at level 1!!! And 1% MR!!!