Skip to content

Dwarven Cleric/Fighter

I am new to BG... yes new to BG... though I have played many D&D games. My typical build is a cleric/fighter/Dwarven defender. I am wondering if this is a possible build and if it is effective. I understand BG is quite hardcore and old school and I am playing through it my first time. I started out as a plain ol Cleric. Default combo and hope to advance to a cleric/dwarven defender.... is this possible or should I start over as a dwarven defender and switch to cleric around level 7?

Thanks! any help is appreciated.

Comments

• GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45
    Hello and thanks for a response. I see... Well I like the idea of my party having a healer priest leader... But I read somewhere you encounter a cleric dwarf somewhere along the way.... I'm playing on a nexus so no save editor.... Perhaps I will go full dwarven defender and start fresh... Any feed back on either class?? can a full cleric hold his own with healing spells? Or am I better off tanking in defensive stance..... Never winter nights dwarven defender cleric was my go to... Too bad I can't recreate.... So far early game the cleric has been a good support character fo my party... Horrible alone...so I hope I do not get separated....
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    You're welcome :)
    Single class Clerics are strong in BG1 and in Shadows of Amn where you'll face lots of powerful Undead. In the final part of the trilogy (Throne of Bhaal) I find them a bit less convincing though definitely still useful.
    Healing potions abound, so you'll likely end up using your spell slots mostly for other types of spells than healing spells: a couple of good debilitating spells, a few nice summoning spells, good buffs).
    I would have gone with Dwarven Defender because there are none in the game, whereas the games offers various Clerics of different alignments that may join your party at one point or other. But if you're enjoying your Cleric, by all means keep it going. You're not likely to end up alone (unlees you behave in complete disregard of your companions' morals), so don't worry about that.
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    A gnomish dual classed cleric/thief is also possible without any mode´s and its very enjoyable,one of my favorite kits thanks to Blackraven;)
    Hrmm. Have me thinking now that there are no other defenders... Tho they seem to simply be extended fighters. This is a long game and I will be stuck with this character for awhile...just got out of my big first quest...mrough to start over... Maybe I'll play a defender in BG;2
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    jackjack said:

The rerollitis begins…
    XD

Hahaha, this is so true!
    @GlorenBronzebeard, welcome to the Rerollers Anonymous ;)
    Seriously, if you're enjoying your Cleric, I'd say keep on playing. If you decide to reroll, @Corvino is very on point with his analysis of the Fighter/Cleric, a great and diverse class.
    I am on android so I have no save game editor... So as it stands its either full blown cleric or dwarven defender... I am leaning to cleric as magic in heavy armor is welcomed... However the dd always seemed unique.... Anyone play a full on defender? Is it worth the switch to have NO magic... I guess healing pots will keep me going no?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Are you playing solo? If not, charname needn't have magic.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If you hit the "multi-class" choice at class selection in character creation you can choose Fighter/Cletic without a savegame editor.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    @GlorenBronzebeard‌
    Healing is actually only a small part of the BG-type cleric's repertoire.
    In combat, most of the spells are too slow casting to be very useful, so the quick-use potions (of which there is a plentiful supply) are of greater utility.
    The real strengths of the cleric are the protections and enhancements they can supply through their spells.

Dwarven Defender seems a great tanking kit... But personally I avoid pure fighter types for my main character as they inevitably become a bit point-click-kill, which is too limiting a play-style for me.
    A heavily armed Dwarf Fighter/Cleric will be as robust as you could like, and gets to do other interesting stuff with their spells & undead turning.
    The only problem is that any cleric class is limited to blunt weapons - so no axes for Gimli :( - but many of the best weapons across the saga are blunt anyway, so it isn't too great an encumbrance.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I am on android so I have no save game editor... So as it stands its either full blown cleric or dwarven defender... I am leaning to cleric as magic in heavy armor is welcomed... However the dd always seemed unique.... Anyone play a full on defender? Is it worth the switch to have NO magic... I guess healing pots will keep me going no?

Obviously it has its disadvantages over a fighter/cleric or single-class cleric but having played a dwarven defender I found the bonus to saving throws and physical resistances offered made it particularly useful. A fighter/cleric though is generally going to be better offensively however.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @GlorenBronzebeard - Just to add my two cents, you indicate that you are no stranger to DnD games, but it sounds from your questions that you are more familiar with 3E and beyond. 2E takes some adjustment from that mind set, so be aware of that. you might benefit from doing some research before re-rolling.

Some examples of how things are different are as follows:

STR/CON and other stats don't grow as you advance levels like they do in 3E. You are stuck with what you rolled on character creation. There are several ways to increase these, but they usually are limited to a one time boost of one point. Also the bonuses gained are significantly different from 3E. A 12 STR doesn't give +1/+1 to hit or damage bonuses. Getting a 18/XX STR can give you significant bonuses. And there are other rules. There are also items that, instead of giving +2, actually give a STATIC ability score. There are pluses and minuses to this. CON over 16 only benefits Fighter classes.

Also, Dual classing means that any experience that you gain gets divided equally between the classes you choose. That means that if you are playing a Fighter/Cleric and you get 100 XP, your Fighter gets 50 and your Cleric gets 50. What this means is that you will end up being slightly lower level than if you were JUST a Fighter. You will probably only be 1-2 levels lower, but it will be lower and slower to advance. your extra abilities will easily compensate and allow you to remain competitive. Just be aware that it will happen. Hit points are also divided in a similar manner (Fighter D10/Cleric D8 means that you would get 9 plus CON bonuses).

BG is absolutely worth it and you should have an enjoyable time. Just be aware that this isn't 3E. I myself like 2E significantly better, but it can be jarring making the conversion, particularly if you expect things to be one way and they are actually another.

Welcome and enjoy.
    edited May 2014
    After doing some research and looking at the new set I find what Spyder told me is true... that this isnt 3E or beyond. For some reason I skipped BG 1-2. I picked up in NWN I guess bioware's next big DND game... NWN was 3e or even 4e i think so It is much different.

I rerolled untill I got a 89... and since Dwarven Defender was my favorite class I decided to bite the bullet, give up the magicks and go all tank. I do not mind full on meele classes as tanking is fun for me as it may be boring for others.... heavy micromanagement is not my thing and that is what the cleric seemed to be in these rules as I died often my first run . (In NWN I was able to buff my cleric with Fighter/Dwarven Defender ranks making the healing/buff spells the only ones I used)

As someone said 90 was a good roll, after 15 min or so of rerolling I settled with 89. With this I put max CON 19, max STR 18/XX and max Dex with 12 or so on the rest. I put my abilities on shield and axe as I want to keep shield and axe the whole game, with throwing axe as my secondary.

I have already been enjoying this game way more than with the cleric run through (only getting to the mines as the cleric) but already I have died significantly less (not at all) and been able to best some harder creatures. The Dwarven defender is much stronger as a Dwarf than a cleric and I think I will be able to get a cleric/Fighter dwarf character later in the game.

Now, Any tips for Dwarven Defender? from someone who is new to 2E? I like that my stats stay the same and think I picked good stats... the 19 con max should be great for modifiers... I feel my Dwarf will end up being the last character alive when shit hits the fan.

I want to keep a shield the whole game and use mainly axes... however I am open for other suggestions... A defender can only get 4 max in any wep prof. So I think I will focus on shield.

Anyways, thanks for your help, I know that a DND character is one that you will be stuck with for the entirety of the game, which could be 30 hr +..... I have had the same character since I got into DND and played tabletop.... Dwarven Defender dwarf... so I do not mind playing him again.

So far, I do not know how I missed this game. Being a DND fan, this game is perhaps even better than neverwinter, temple of elemental evil (though greyhound holds a special place for me.. that dark vibe) and the other baldurs gates i have played... the ones on Playstation.

Also Spyder.. thanks for the heads up, I will keep this in mind through my game play... I am happy where I put my stats on my 2nd reroll as I look back at my cleric I would have been confused and upset as to why I couldnt "fix" his stats.... I didnt really pay attention with him.. just wanted to get the game going!
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Just so you know I believe you can take one of the new 2da files add it to your android override folder and you can change it to allow dual classing as a dwarf, but someone would need to get you the 2da file first. This would allow your DD/cleric.
    Fair play to you for sticking to your guns. ;)

Without doubt, the DD will be strong and should be nigh-on unkillable!

The only thing I would say, is that using pips in shield style is a waste of time… it gives a small bonus against missiles, which your full plate and tower shield will easily compensate for.
    This *isn't* me saying don't use a shield (though some will say not to)… if that's how you RP him, then by all means strap one on!
    Just don't waste the pips on the fighting style as it's terribly implemented with negligible benefits.

Max out axes & hammers at 4 pips, as they're the DD's favoured weapons, and there are great options for both.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Blackraven - thanks for the correction. Yes, I was speaking about Multi-class. I sometimes get those names reversed.

@GlorenBronzebeard - Hope you enjoy the game. One note, since you mentioned it, as you progress through the game, you will find that 'micro-managing' may become more important regardless of your character. In later battles, and more particularly in BG2, you will get into mage battles that you will have to manage. These can sometimes get quite frenetic and very complicated. Don't let that get you down as the AI is actually probably better than NWN versions of same in these instances, but you WILL need to manage some of the tougher fights quite closely. The alternative is to crank the difficulty WAY down for those battles.

I'm stoked for you. I almost want to fire up a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric myself as that sounds like LOADS of fun. Enjoy and report back how you are doing.
    Thanks for the heads up Frozen, I might do that later on, tho, after playing it and thinking about it, I think I will keep my Dwarf full Dwarven Defender and just try to go tank. That way I can send him in and use my other characters to buff and support him, as well as dish out magic damage and shoot arrows. Already Kivan and my main character have been a great mix, the Dwarf keeps em back while Kivan shoots them down. I will rely on other characters for magic, I have the druid now, but perhaps will switch her out for the dwarvish fighter/cleric I hear you get later on. I am excited to get into this campaign now that I know what I am doing alittle bit.

As for not putting points in shield and sword style... I already put two as the only weapon I am looking to use is the axe... do you think it is worth a re-roll to get warhammer instead? I look to keep a shield the entire game, I like tower shields especially...

@ Spyder... as for firing one up, Let me know how your dwarf turns out Cleric/fighter.. And I will keep you in on how my pure Dwarven Defender works out. As you put it, I might have some trouble with the later mage battles but perhaps I can train up a mage companion to deal with them. In NWN my Dwarven Defender could take most spells and physical damage to the face with ease. Will I be able to do the same in BG? or do I have to be a bit more cautious agaisnt magic?
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Magic is very easy to beat in this with all the equipment you get like dragon armor, cloak of mirrors, or human flesh. Then you have con saves and shorty saves.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    There's a War Hammer that deals electric damage in the game, which is fairly useful for punching through Stoneskin and interrupting casters. And IIRC it also takes away 2 Mirror Images per hit.

There's a Mace that stuns enemies 33% of the time. With multiple attacks per round this may permastun.

There's also 2-Handed Swords, for the Free Action 2-Handed Sword. Because of how overpowered Web is in the game. Nearly every battle in the game is shut down by Web. There's also a Ring that grants Free Action, but it can be a little tough to find.

Although you can always use Throwing Axes with Web.

As far as weapon proficiency goes, the important pips are 2 and 5. Because these grant extra attacks per roudn. And 3 and 4 add THAC0 and damage, but if you have decent STR (18 will do and just book yourself to 19) you'll get much more out of extra APR.

Two Weapon Style becomes a huge thing in BG2, in addition to the extra attack they give, there are weapons that grant an extra attack. If you wield these in your off-hand, that extra attack goes to your main hand weapon. And with the extra effects weapons have in BG2, being able to utilize those effects as much as you can is a good thing.

In any case, just keep Axes at 2 pips. There's really no need to max it to 4 pips, you'll barely feel the difference. If you're planning on carrying this character over to BG2, having a head start on Two Weapon Style can go a long way.

For spells, Clerics and Mages can grant other characters more protection against them. Clerics have stuff like Remove Fear, Free Action, Chaotic Commands. Mages have Improved Invisibility (+4 to Saving Throws), Protection from Petrification. Then there's the various elemental protections. And then there's items which duplicate these effects. But in most cases the Dwarven Defender's +7 to Saving Throws are practically an auto save.
    If you're truly dedicated to axes, then don't worry about rerolling.
    As a fighter kit, you'll pick up an extra pip every 3rd level anyway... It'll just take a bit longer to swing hammers effectively.

I too prefer shields on my warriors (despite dual-wielding being mechanically more effective).
    It's just that the fighting ste was poorly implemented.

Stick with it, and enjoy!
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for all your help again guys, appreciate the feedback, this is a cool forum with good people. Zyzzogeton. Thanks for the heads up about the magical blunt weapons and the weapon perks. I understand dwarven defender cannot get more than 4 points into any weapon prof. in the first place, so that would eliminate the bonus you get at 5 points. Keeping axe at two, then adding 2 for war hammer, and perhaps 2 for 2 handed, i can have a diverse and still strong character. Do you think I should get any wep prof. above 2? or is it more effective to spend them on other profs... like warhamer and 2 handed... ect... I do not mind eventually converting Gloren to a duel wielder (axe in each hand) however I would like to have some good gear and equipment before doing this... so far this tower shield and Defense stance seems to be making all the difference early game.

Also, I like the idea of having throwing axes as backup.... Do they fall under throwing weps or axe? I know 3rd E and 4th E lumps all throwing weapons into "throwing weapons"... does BG do the same?
    @SionIV's setup makes a lot of sense.
    I'd personally leave the two weapon fightng style until last though... It only really becomes useful with some of the good off-hand weapons available in the second game.

(And throwing weapons count as their parent weapons by the way... Axe proficient includes throwing axes, dagger proficiency includes throwing daggers, etc)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014

There's a Mace that stuns enemies 33% of the time. With multiple attacks per round this may permastun.

Technically its 25%. But I mean since it stuns for between 1-4 rounds it basically ensures that the enemy is killed since you can keep wacking it to keep it stunned :)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Actually, putting your proficiency point in Axes at level 3 to get +++ is a big early advantage. This takes your "to-hit" bonus from +1 to +3 (I know, right?) which has a huge effect on early battles, less so later on. In any case, by mid-BG2 you'll likely have maxed out both Axes and Hammers, which is no bad thing.