Skip to content

Lawful Evil Deities.

2»

Comments

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    I think Oghma or Savras would be fitting deities for Charname on account of him/her being raised in Candlekeep.
    SionIVKamigoroshiCrevsDaak
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Or the old aspect of Jergal for that matter.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    SionIV said:

But would a human ever worship a halfling/dwarf/gnome deity? Aerie does this in BG2 but that's based on Quayle teaching her. What about a half-elf and the elf deities?

A human likely wouldn't have taken up worship of any non-human deity unless they had had some kind of contact with the cultures in question. "Adopted by Race X" always makes for a good reason, but
    it's always possible CHARNAME studied under somebody in Candlekeep.
    Lemernis said:

SionIV said:

Also when it comes to Bassilus would he be a follower of Cyric? He comes from Zhentil keep, so it's either that or Bane/Xvim, no?

I would think that for a Zhent circa 1368-72, i.e., during the BG saga, worship of either Bane or Xvim would only take place very secretly and at extremely high risk. Cyric and his followers would never tolerate it. Cyric slew Bane, took most of his portfolio, and imprisoned his son.
    I personally think Bassilus seems a lot like a Banite/Xvimite in exile (on the run from Zhentil Keep), what with him being all alone in the completely unimportant middle of nowhere, and all sad and hallucinating about people he used to know (that were likely killed during Cyric's purging of the lines) and the good old days. It really doesn't seem like he was sent there on any kind of mission. But yeah, that's just my headcanon.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited May 2014
    Abbathor.

Kagain most likely worships Abbathor.

"Abbathor, also known as the Great Master of Greed, was the neutral evil dwarven god of greed before becoming an exarch of Bane. He was an intensely greedy deity and was both desirous and envious of others' riches. Abbathor and his followers believed in the acquisition of all forms of wealth by any and all means necessary"

You don't need to have the exact same alignment of your deity to be their Clerics. As long as you're one step away of them in the alignment chart.

Elminster is proof of that.
    Mystra was Lawful Neutral (second was Neutral Good) and Elminster is Chaotic Good.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Archaos said:

Abbathor.

Kagain most likely worships Abbathor.

"Abbathor, also known as the Great Master of Greed, was the neutral evil dwarven god of greed before becoming an exarch of Bane. He was an intensely greedy deity and was both desirous and envious of others' riches. Abbathor and his followers believed in the acquisition of all forms of wealth by any and all means necessary"

You don't need to have the exact same alignment of your deity to be their Clerics. As long as you're one step away of them in the alignment chart.

Elminster is proof of that.
    Mystra was Lawful Neutral (second was Neutral Good) and Elminster is Chaotic Good.

I was looking at Mystra earlier, and it seems she pretty much takes in any alignment.
    edited May 2014
    @SionIV Which one? There were three Mystras.
    First one (Mystryl) "died" by Karsus (Netheril). Second one by Helm (Time of Troubles). Third by Cyric (Spellplague).

The ones that Elminster worshipped were the second and third.

Only the first one, Mystryl has worshippers of any alignment. And as a general rule, you need to be one step away from the deity to be their Cleric. Though exceptions happen.

Another example, Branwen is True Neutral, Tempus is Chaotic Neutral.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystryl
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra_(Midnight)
    Archaos said:

@SionIV Which one? There were three Mystras.
    First one (Mystryl) "died" by Karsus (Netheril). Second one by Helm (Time of Troubles). Third by Cyric (Spellplague).

The ones that Elminster worshipped were the second and third.

Only the first one, Mystryl has worshippers of any alignment. And as a general rule, you need to be one step away from the deity to be their Cleric. Though exceptions happen.

Another example, Branwen is True Neutral, Tempus is Chaotic Neutral.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystryl
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra_(Midnight)

I can't remember which one, but Halastar shouldn't have been able to be a chosen with his alignment, but that's probably because his alignment changed after he became a chosen. She also has several liches that pray to her for spells.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    In AD&D BG times, Mystra is still taking worshipers of any alignment. By the time of 3E, she still takes Lawful Neutral and Lawful Good worshipers (two steps away on the alignment chart) in honor of the second Mystra's worshipers, but she's stopped taking the Lawful Evil folks that were able to worship the second Mystra due to her LN nature. As the third Mystra is really too good for them. (Most evil spellcasters turned to Shar and the shadow weave, anyway.)
    SionIVCrevsDaak
    edited May 2014
    @SionIV You mean Halaster? (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Halaster_Blackcloak)

Halaster is not a Chosen. And the "one step away" general rule is for Clerics (well, actually any divine caster as well) only. Not other casters. Halaster is just a Mage/Wizard, not a Cleric.

These are the known Chosen of Mystra. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen_of_Mystra
    SionIV
    Archaos said:

@SionIV You mean Halaster? (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Halaster_Blackcloak)

Halaster is not a Chosen. And the "one step away" general rule is for Clerics (well, actually any divine caster as well) only. Not other casters. Halaster is just a Mage/Wizard, not a Cleric.

These are the known Chosen of Mystra. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen_of_Mystra

Thank you for correcting me, I always though he was a chosen of Mystra, with the whole Elminster in hell.
    Archaos
    edited May 2014
    Twani said:

In AD&D BG times, Mystra is still taking worshipers of any alignment. By the time of 3E, she still takes Lawful Neutral and Lawful Good worshipers (two steps away on the alignment chart) in honor of the second Mystra's worshipers, but she's stopped taking the Lawful Evil folks that were able to worship the second Mystra due to her LN nature. As the third Mystra is really too good for them. (Most evil spellcasters turned to Shar and the shadow weave, anyway.)

The BG saga takes place after the Time of Troubles which means the third Mystra is worshipped.

And according to ADnD Faiths and Avatars, Clerics can be LE,LN,LG,NG,CG,CN.
    SionIV said:

Thank you for correcting me, I always though he was a chosen of Mystra, with the whole Elminster in hell.

According to the wiki, this is what happened between Mystra and Halaster.
    "In 1372 DR when Elminster was inadvertently sent to hell while defending the Dalelands from the Shadovar. Mystra made a bargain with Halaster, that she would try to cure his insanity if he rescued Elminster from hell. Halaster agreed, and entered Avernus. Though he was unsuccessful, and had to be rescued in turn by Alassra Silverhand, Mystra kept her word, and managed to partially cure him. (She then proceeded to blast Asmodeus with Halaster's insanity.)"
    Archaos said:

"

"In 1372 DR when Elminster was inadvertently sent to hell while defending the Dalelands from the Shadovar. Mystra made a bargain with Halaster, that she would try to cure his insanity if he rescued Elminster from hell. Halaster agreed, and entered Avernus. Though he was unsuccessful, and had to be rescued in turn by Alassra Silverhand, Mystra kept her word, and managed to partially cure him. (She then proceeded to blast Asmodeus with Halaster's insanity.)"

Asmodeus got his due, he was getting way too powerful anyway.
    Mhamza said:

Archaos said:

"

Asmodeus got his due, he was getting way too powerful anyway.
    Didn't Asmodeus end up a higher deity in 4.0 or something? Same with Bane getting incredible powerful?
    @SionIV Asmodeus took advantage of the Spellplague to kill Azuth, and absorb his essence to become a Greater God, as if that wasn't enough when Laduguer and Deep Duerra were killed by the Mordinsamman, he pretended to be Laduguer and the gray dwarves started to worship him, oblivious to the fact that he is Asmodeus and not Laduguer.
    SionIV
    I don't think there is a single thing with 4.0 that i enjoy lorewise.
    Kamigoroshi
    SionIV said:

I don't think there is a single thing with 4.0 that i enjoy lorewise.

I don't blame you, its a travesty, e.g. Mystra's death, the whole thing stank of a bad lifetime movie.
    SionIVCrevsDaak