Skip to content

Broken start screen

Hi all. Apologies, I know this is in the wrong place, but I posted in the bug report section yesterday and didn't get much response, and could do with a bit of advice.

On start up my screen looks like this. I can click the buttons that are just about visible through the mess, so it looks like it actually *works* even if I can't see what's happening. My drivers are up to date, and this is on a new clean Windows 8.1 install - the same machine used to run 7, and I had BG2EE working fine on it.

Halp!

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    What sort of hardware are you running? Intel graphics, perhaps?
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series, with the most recent driver version. I know there are Intel problems, but didn't think I would be affected by them - especially having run the game on the same machine previously.

I have just tried this with BG1EE, and the new pictures (Dorn, Neera etc) seem fine, where the others don't. Hmmm.
    If it worked previously, then it's probably an issue with the AMD drivers for Windows 8/8.1.

Did you install the latest AMD drivers from scratch or did you update recently? If is was just a simple update, then you may want to go through the process of uninstalling the drivers and the Catalyst Control Center, then restart your computer and re-install the complete and most up-to-date package (drivers and control centre). If that doesn't work, you may want to revert to an earlier set of drivers.
    It worked previously before I did a full reset and reinstall of windows, so I'm not quite sure what happened with drivers and updates. I have checked through a few sourcees, and each says they are up to date.

I have just uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, and it says it has failed to install. Bugger.

I'll have to have a look at this in the next few days, or when I next get chance. Boo!
    Is your computer a pre-built machine or one you have installed the graphics card into yourself? If this is a pre-built machine that came with the card, then you may want to get the drivers directly from whoever the manufacturer is. If it is one you installed the card in yourself, then try the drivers directly from the AMD/ATI site.

Did the installation say why it failed?
    Thanks for the help, I have now managed to resolve this with thanks to a few forum members, over on this thread http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32394/blocky-screen