Skip to content

best level up?

My PC just made level 6 fighter.

Should I go long sword high mastery or one of those battle style proficiencies?

Right now I'm a master at long sword and two slots short sword

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I can't say you 'should' go with option A or option B. It's mostly about how like you to see your character. Single Weapon Style is not very popular (except for backstabbing Thieves), but sylistically I like it.

In terms of creating a powerful character, a good option would be to start building your character toward dualwielding, i.e. place one pip in Two Weapon Fighting (TWF). At the next level-up you could place another pip in TWF, so that by that time it could you'd be a pretty good dualwielder. From that point you could further invest in Long Swords.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

a good option would be to start building your character toward dualwielding, i.e. place one pip in Two Weapon Fighting (TWF). At the next level-up you could place another pip in TWF.

Although, @Arutha_Crydee‌ , you should take in account that this next level-up will be only in BG2. So if you spend a pip into TWF now and take weapons into 2 hands, you'll have -2 THACO penalty to the main hand and -6 THACO penalty to the second hand right till the end of BG1. Of course, you can follow @Blackraven‌ 's advice but not use TWF until hitting the level 9. You can look at this pip as an at an investment into future.

If we're talking about BG1 only and if you want to use the pip you get at the level 6 right now, it's better to spend your proficiency elsewhere. I suggest longbows because in BG1 longbows rule supreme, there're good arrows available and your fighter would be more versatile - he would shoot from some distance and when an enemy would come close, your character would use his sword.
  • Arutha_CrydeeArutha_Crydee Member Posts: 68
    just curious. how much of the game is left for me? My guys are all level 5 and 6. and i have not done the cloakwood mine yet. just finished the spider den and the wyvern quest for coran and have been just running around the other map areas to explore and kill time and kill stuff lol
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Depends, but you can make the chapter right after cloakwoods VERY long.

At least one playthrough try to check all of every map and talk to everyone. Check out some locked houses.

If you havent done many of the sidequests in the countryside (Firewine, Gnoll Stronghold, Flesh Golem Cave, Basilisk Fossile Area to name a few standouts), could be more than half. Do not miss Durlags Tower and the Ulgoth's Beard quests!

btw, best level up is Druid level... 15? When you get a megaheap of spellslots. Just massive change.

Next best, unlocking UAI for a Kensai/Thief.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I prefer my fighters to be well-rounded, never choosing more than standard proficiency in any weapon or weapon style. Between Legacy of the Masters (which will give your fighter the same +1/+2 that specialization gives) or Hands of Takkok (giving your fighter +3/+6 from the 18/00 strength) there isn't much reason to specialize in BG other than character concept. As long as your main fighter can hit AC 0 more often than not you are doing quite well--most creatures in BG don't have that low of an AC, even Sarevok's AC is only -4.

One more secret about Sarevok--his sword is non-magical, so as long as his support team isn't able to dispel your magic then Wraithform or Protection from Normal Weapons will make your job easier.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014

just curious. how much of the game is left for me? My guys are all level 5 and 6. and i have not done the cloakwood mine yet. just finished the spider den and the wyvern quest for coran and have been just running around the other map areas to explore and kill time and kill stuff lol

The amount of time that is left is entirely dependent upon how many secondary quests you want to do. If you do all the secondary quests it would take a lot longer than the amount of time it would take to finish the main quests.
    DreadKhan said:

At least one playthrough try to check all of every map and talk to everyone. Check out some locked houses.

If you havent done many of the sidequests in the countryside (Firewine, Gnoll Stronghold, Flesh Golem Cave, Basilisk Fossile Area to name a few standouts), could be more than half. Do not miss Durlags Tower and the Ulgoth's Beard quests!

btw, best level up is Druid level... 15? When you get a megaheap of spellslots. Just massive change.

What is UAI? level 15?! is that even possible?!
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2014

DreadKhan said:

Ignore UAI and level 15, it's for BG2EE. There is an experience cap in BGEE (161 000) and your characters will end up with levels ranging from 8 to 10 depending on their class.

As an example, with 161 000 experience a mage can reach level 9 and a rogue can reach level 10. Your fighter can reach level 8.

And you're about half way through the game depending on how many side quests you do.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2014

DreadKhan said:

Use Any Item is a HLA (High Level Ability) available to thieves and bards. It does exactly what it sounds like, letting the character use any item even if they don't meet race/class/alignment/etc. requirements. Characters start getting HLAs when they hit 3 million XP. But that only happens in BG2. Same goes for hitting level 15. In BG1 the XP cap will only allow you to get to level 8 to 10, depending on class.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Sorry, didnt realize you were bgee only!

Hmmm... best level up in bgee? Level 5 is when wizards start going bonkers. Probably that!
    I wanna play bg2 as well. I'm on android so I'm hoping they release it on that platform. I guess I could always play it on PC Lol but I play at work on my phone a lot. The interface is surprisingly awesone