Skip to content

What kind of dual classable character would you like to see in Shadows of Amn?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
This is inspired by @Ravenslight 's poll on a thief mod NPC capable of dual classing. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32321/would-you-prefer-a-mod-npc-thief-to-be-able-to-dual-class-into-a-thief-mage-or-thief-fighter#latest

I personally think dual classing is pretty cool from a roleplaying and mechanical point of view, and kind of wish there were more options. I'd like a character that could go two different directions, but really any character with a dual classing option would be pretty sweet.

I'd like to see what others like, so here is my poll. Which character build would you like to see if there were to be a new NPC in the game that was capable of dual-classing?

Note: I'm generally avoiding spellcasting classes that can dual into a martial class, but feel free to discuss them!
  1. What kind of dual classable character would you like to see in Shadows of Amn?45 votes
    1. Ranger that could go Cleric
        4.44%
    2. Thief that can go Cleric
      22.22%
    3. Fighter that could go Cleric
        4.44%
    4. Cleric that could go Mage
        4.44%
    5. Fighter that could go Mage
        8.89%
    6. Thief that could go Mage
        2.22%
    7. Fighter that could go Druid
        8.89%
    8. Thief that could go Fighter
      11.11%
    9. Something else
      24.44%
    10. Just show me the results, Chief
        8.89%

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    wow i fail completely i wanted to add a mage-->cleric (which is what I would vote for) but I spazzed

I like the ideas of a
    thief-->fighter (interesting roleplaying)
    mage-->cleric (interesting rp and I'd love to use the robe of vecna on some high level cleric spells)
    ranger-->cleric (interesting roleplay)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Cleric->Mage; the best way to play a Cleric.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Mage that could go thief. I'm weird like that.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Druid to fighter, maybe Avenger?

I also like cleric to mage, and assassin to fighter. Maybe another specislist mage to cleric.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Thief > Cleric or vice versa sounds fun.
    I like the idea of dual-classing kits!
    Shadowdancing fighter just sounds badass
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    Fighter > Druid with Grandmastery in Quarterstaff. That's what I have planned for my next playthrough as soon as the patch is out.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I already have a protagonist rolled-up (but not yet taken out for a run) who'll be a Swashbuckler through BG1ee and dual to Cleric early in BG2ee. If such a character were available as an NPC, then maybe I'd not bother running such a character as a protagonist ... but it's certainly a class combination which looks to me like it'll be interesting to play, so I'd like to give it a go one way or the other, whether that's as PC or NPC.

I'm surprised there's no option in the poll for Fighter->Thief, I'd have thought that might be a fairly popular choice. (Yes, I know you can do that with Sarevok, but that's not until ToB and this poll is about SoA options - and IMO, ToB is too late for dualling to be sensible.)
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Cleric that goes Ranger! Mostly because I want to be different. Maybe a tiny bit funny? I don't know.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    My secret dream, my burning desire, is to see a wild mage, dual to cleric or fighter. But since wild mages do not dual, and i do not cheat, this isn't going to happen (sob)...

My secret dream, my burning desire, is to see a wild mage, dual to cleric or fighter. But since wild mages do not dual, and i do not cheat, this isn't going to happen (sob)...

wait wait wait.... DOES THAT MEAN... that the cleric spells will also have wild surges????????????????//
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424

wait wait wait.... DOES THAT MEAN... that the cleric spells will also have wild surges????????????????//
    Not if you chain contigency 3x greater chaos shields, and you are over level 25 (or max).
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

Not if you chain contigency 3x greater chaos shields, and you are over level 25 (or max).
    So in other words, yes.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Well, in BG2ee's Wild Forest, and in the WK maze's wild magic rooms, yes, divine spells surge as well as arcane spells. So there is a precedent for assuming that the cleric spells would also surge in the hands of a wild mage.