Skip to content

Comparing BG to Pillars of Eternity

I've only recently heard of the ongoing development of the "Pillars of Eternity" project. I read that it is supposed to be the "spiritual successor" to games like BG, IWD, and so on. Has anyone been closely following the development of PofE, and if so, how do you think it will compare to these classics?

I for one never particularly wanted a BG3; I thought BG2 wrapped up things nicely, even if TOB was a bit over-the-top for me. But I always wanted another game like BG and BG2, something along the same lines in the same world with a different story, particularly including similarly colorful NPCs, beautiful art/backgrounds, tactical gameplay, isometric view, etc. (the IWD games were a little too combat-centered and linear for my taste, but of course I played them as well).

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    There is a thread about it on here that you can check out as well.

forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4792/obsidian-entertainment-s-project-eternity#latest
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There does seem to be a bit of a renaissance of the old-school RPG, with Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera and the revival of the Baldur's Gate games. I only hope that they're well received and spark a more widespread revival.

Speaking of relatively dormant genres, the Space Sim seems to be coming back as well. It's like my adolescence is on repeat, but I get to skip the spots.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited June 2014
    I hope that @LiamEsler‌ can introduce some of us to modding PoE, seems like a great game, which gives people great mod ideas.
    I'd also have an eye on Tides of Numenara; even if the combat is worse than PS:T's, a good story is worth it!
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    im looking forward to it

which is unusual for me
  • MyNameIsRobMyNameIsRob Member Posts: 36
    I'm considering getting it. It has siege weapons and rifles in it though.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    It has Chanters. Consider me sold.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think it's going to have most of the things we all like about the infinity engine games, but it's a new system, so it's not bound by dnd and it traditions, and it looks like they're implementing all the things we keep wish bg had. A more complex reputation, no alignment, ect. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Honestly I wish they removed the reputation system out of bg all together.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

...so you could murder random people without consequence?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

It will be even more heroic than you've thought.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    jackjack said:

It has Chanters. Consider me sold.

Bards.

meagloth said:

...so you could murder random people without consequence?

No, although that's a tempting reason. The reputation system was a poorly implemented game feature. That even if you were a intelligent and crafty neutral or evil character you couldn't have a good reputation.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    There's exactly one aspect in which the Baldur's Gate series is currently superior to Pillars of Eternity: oozes!

I rest my case.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

There's exactly one aspect in which the Baldur's Gate series is currently superior to Pillars of Eternity: oozes!

Pillars of Eternity Update #80: The amorphous creatures: Oozes

By Josh the Oozemaster, Project Director on June 09, 2014 03:41 AM

For our creature update, we will be covering oozes. They live only to eat. They inhabit underground areas throughout the world, scouring caverns, ruins, and dungeons in search of organic matter—living or dead. Oozes attack any creatures they encounter. They lash out with pseudopods or simply engulf opponents with their bodies, which secrete acids that help them catch or digest their prey.

That's all for this week. Let us know what you think of oozes in the forum. As always, thanks for reading.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Great, now all I have to do is wait for someone to release an romanceable slime girl NPC.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Metalloman I cannot unsee that, and I'm all out of mind bleach.
    @Corvino‌

All fault is @Kamirogoshi's. He said:

Great, now all I have to do is wait for someone to release an romanceable slime girl NPC.

And I had the pulse to know what he wanted with so much desire. Tonight I will not sleep.
    Well, in the end I posted it just because there's not explicit nudity (just silhouettes, no nipples nor explicit genitals) so it's all well, until one starts to lurk sistematically every link in that page, i suppose, but often I've catched nudity even while searching things like "DnD xyz" for memes so I believe no kind of search is really safe, on the internet...

True Story.