Skip to content

Paladin and Ranger Wisdom?

So I read on the wiki that they do not need wisdom for their priest spells is this true? Also, are there any other classes for Priest and/or Wizard spells that don't need their Wisdom or Intelligence?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Rangers and paladins get nothing from Wisdom, only clerics and druids get additional spells from Wisom.

Wizards doesn't get any additional spells from intelligence. Intelligence only helps with your chance to write spells into your spellbook and how high many you can write into your book. It should also be the deciding factor in how high level spells you can throw, 17 intelligence lets you throw up to level 7 spells, etc.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    Everything SionIV said (though it would more more accurate to say that 17 intelligence lets you learn up to level 8 spells).

Also unlike in pen and paper wisdom does not give any kind of benefit towards magical defense. You didn't mention this but this was in the original BG1 manual and I just wanted to clarify this in case you saw otherwise on the web somewhere.
  • Alistar2013Alistar2013 Member Posts: 44
    So basically the wiki was right and Wizards need the Intelligence for additional spells and the ability to write more into their spellbook. What about bards?
    edited June 2014

So basically the wiki was right and Wizards need the Intelligence for additional spells and the ability to write more into their spellbook. What about bards?

Bards benefit from higher intelligence in terms of how many spells (at each level) they can know in their spellbook and their percentage chance to learn spells. However, bards can only learn up to level 6 and because they have (I believe) a minimum required intelligence of 13 this means that their intelligence isn't an issue when it comes to what spell levels they can learn up to. High intelligence (like high wisdom) also benefits their initial lore value (that is the case with any class though).
    So the Lore Bonuses are those only initial bonuses or are they per level?
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited June 2014
    The Lore bonuses based on INT/WIS apply only once, i.e. at character creation (and they get adjusted in case of permanent or temporary increases of said stats). However depending on your character's class, you also get more lore each time you level up.

Edit: class-based lore increases: +1/level for warriors and priests, +3/level for thieves and ages, +10/level for bards.
    @Blackraven sweet good to know. I wasn't sure how those bonuses were applied or that they were adjusted on stat gain.
    Also those Lore Bonuses if they are negative would they cause my Fighter to stop gaining his +1 Lore/Level?
    edited June 2014

Also those Lore Bonuses if they are negative would they cause my Fighter to stop gaining his +1 Lore/Level?

No. But if you have an overall negative score between your intelligence/wisdom lore bonuses then your fighters lore would appear as 0 until such a point as you gained enough levels to make up for that.

So if you have 7 wisdom and 10 intelligence you would be getting -10 to your lore. You'd need to be a level 11 fighter (or get your wisdom up by 3 points) before your lore would go any higher than 0.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Also, there are some rare dialogues in the game where high intelligence or wisdom actually matter.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    DJKajuru said:

Also, there are some rare dialogues in the game where high intelligence or wisdom actually matter.

What? Which ones? @DJKajuru‌
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    meagloth said:

DJKajuru said:

What? Which ones?
    Off the top of my head:

- When talking to Solaufein about mind flayers, your character's INT determines what you refer to them as. I think low INT results in "mind flayers", and high INT results in "illithids". I think there's a medium INT one too, but I can't remember.

- During the bard stronghold quests, you'll have an opportunity to rewrite the score for the play. Whether or not this ends up being good for your play (and how much XP you get) depends on CHARNAME's INT.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Doesnt the Spectator thing involve your int? Been awhile...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @DreadKhan‌

Not Int, but Wis. To persuade the Spectator beholder to look the other way while you check the chest he guards you need min 13 WIS. Or, if you have Jan in your party, he can find the solution for you no matter what your WIS is.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Paladin, meh. He gets like 3-5 spells at most. Ranger NEEDS a high wisdom, especially if you are getting to dual over to cleric!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @meagloth, I mean exactly the ones that TJ_Hooker mentioned.

Also, high wisdom greatly affects the options of the "wish" spell.