Skip to content

Cleric Snoozefest Playthrough

2»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I said lvl 1 cleric was the easiest first level, better than sorcerer, which is also pretty foolproof if done right. I said wizards can't spam sleep, due to less slots, and the fact they pretty much have to use armour or shield spells, eating more slots.

Clerics btw can also spam Command because the effects of Command are basicly instant and offer no save for heaps of enemies. You can lock down a 6th level wizard and bash in their skull at no real risk. :s very, very powerful spell! If you arent soloing, its even better. One volley of arrows kills nearly anything.

You can still use the sleep wand if you want, but some tougher enemies are immune.

@Blackraven‌ command is also a 1 casting time I think, which bests most spells.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    "(can't imagine why I'd pick a F/C, besides for roleplay/character concept...)" Is there another way of playing BG besides "roleplay/character concept"? :).
  • SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2014

"(can't imagine why I'd pick a F/C, besides for roleplay/character concept...)" Is there another way of playing BG besides "roleplay/character concept"? :).

One might pick it because Half-Orc classes can be rather boring... add some spice.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Perhaps a half-orc cleric/thief whom you have edited to cleric/assassin via EEKeeper?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I don't think the value of Resist Fear (at first level), Chaotic Commands, Protection from Evil 10', and Death Ward should be underestimated. For most of the worst things a mage can do to you, a cleric can make you immune to them. I don't like to play without my whole party covered with those spells at all times, and I like to have at least two clerics to make sure I have enough spell slots to keep everybody covered.

Skeleton summons also beat anything a mage can summon with a third level spell.

I personally find soloing itself to be boring and counter to what the game intends, but if you like to do it, multiclassing makes the most sense. Since potion and scroll resources don't have to be divided among a party, you can probably cover cleric abilities that way, so playing a cleric is not the best choice for a soloist. Your special abilities would be wasted at higher levels, as you can horde magic items and use them all yourself.

By contrast, the cleric is a team player. She does what she does because she wants to help others succeed, and because she believes in her god and her cause.

Solo or not, though, I would agree that clerics are very powerful characters at lower levels in comparison to other classes, because of Resist Fear, Command, Hold Person, and Silence. Good old Cure Light Wounds is nothing to sneeze at, either, if you don't want to spam rest unrealistically.

"Whelp, we moved out at 0800 and slaughtered that gnoll patrol and the ogre that was with them. Now, after cleanup, it's 0900, and we have wounded. Time to make camp and sleep all day." "Um, no, *zap*, see, now we're good to go."

Playing a solo straight cleric might make an interesting challenge run, but it's not a powergaming choice.