Skip to content

Wait! Baldurs Gate Trilogy?

Ok, I'm kinda sold of getting this one too. I didn't know that I can play the game all the way to ToB with this one. Is it recommendable though?

Pros?
Cons?

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I've played it and it's a solid mod. In fact, the author (Ascension64) has also contributed to BG:EE as far as I know.

With a little tinkering (which will require the use of a few other mods) you can get a somewhat consistent experience all the way through. One of the best things about it is that changes in stats and proficiencies that you apply to BG1 NPCs will be kept during BG2 (if they are returning NPCs, obviously).

I'd wager that nowadays you can get pretty much the same ammount of consistency by playing the EEs. In the end it all boils down to whether the new features are essential to your experience.
  • DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    edited June 2014
    Not usable with EE version - you'd need to buy old BG distributions for that to work. And it's not really needed since one of it's main selling points was playing BG1 with BG2 engine, and that's what EE is for. It was well made and worked suprisingly well considering the scope of the project. Having both games in one exe is fun but ultimately it doesn't change much. It's time to move on (until EE implementation comes somewhere within next 10 years)
    Post edited by Deltharis on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    To me this is how it looks like: go for BGT if you want mods that are not BG:EE-compatible.
  • BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2014
    Great, I think I'm going to downgrade a bit and get both Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 now in GoG.
    @Deltharis‌ 10 years? I maybe old enough to play it,

Edit:
    Okay, I've just got a copy of it in GoG and man it was awesome with the package containing artwork, wallpapers, a manual (oh boy) and some goodies. Installation time.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    You may need to follow GOG's procedure to install BGT on their version of BG/BG2.

http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom/2012/09

You may need to follow GOG's procedure to install BGT on their version of BG/BG2.

http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom/2012/09

thanks for the ref
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Kilivitz said:

I've played it and it's a solid mod. In fact, the author (Ascension64) has also contributed to BG:EE as far as I know.

Ascension64 published BGT with WeiDU; the mod was oroginally done by Bardez ;)
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I REALLY wanted to play this... but a glitch ruined it for me. Like a Temple playing Tavern music. BGT needs alot of bug fixed before i ever touch it again
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    Don't go north of the farm while baldurs gate is still closed off, you need to wait till the right chapter. That is the only bug.
    finally done and installed every bit of mods and it played great - gotta stay away from BGEE for now
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Vasculio, there's a music fix component you're supposed to install when you install BGT. Read the documentation carefully when you work with a mod. The installation program asks you to choose as you are installing the mod - I believe the right selection is called "hybrid music", and it corrects the exact problem you're talking about. I'm not sure why the mod author included any other music choice, because having "wrong" choices in there confuses people who pick the wrong one, just as apparently happened in your case.

That said, I had a BGT game bug out on me (total crash and save corruption) when I beat Sarevok and then tried to go to Ice Island and Werewolf Island afterwards. The crash happened when we got teleported to Ice Island.

You really have to go straight to the NPC in Baldur's Gate and trigger the mod's startup of BG2 immediately after defeating Sarevok, as the game expects, or bad things happen. So, the "linking together" from BG1 to BG2 is kind of an illusion. There is no extra freedom of choice in how to proceed. The mod doesn't change over to BG2 any differently than if you did a manual export/import yourself.

The main difference and benefit is that it carries over your stat boosts from tomes, on whichever characters you gave them to (as long as they survive into BG2). That and using the BG2 engine for BG1, of course, which can also be done with TuTu (which also has had issues, such as green water and Beregost crash bug).

Problems like this are why I have adopted a "the fewer mods the better" attitude after some years of experimenting with mods. So I can certainly understand why somebody might swear off mods completely. If you don't know exactly what you're installing, or the right order to install multiple mods, or what conflicts with what, mods can really ruin your day.