Skip to content

BiG World Setup "Tactics" 42 Hours Installation - Pure Awesome

Comments

• BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2014
    @‌Anduin Yep

@BelgarathMTH I'm willing to improve my English. Can you be my Online English teacher? I want to learn how to use proper punctuations as well. I know you may not have enough time but just in case you can contact me via Skype username: techseeder
    jackjack
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Wow this thread really took off since last night! This is in response to CaloNord's suggestion about my hard drive from back at the beginning.

I know I could probably salvage the hard drive but I'm not sure it'd be worth it since I couldn't be positive that mega-mod would play on Windows 7. I really worked hard to get the Planar Sphere mod and the Enhanced Spellhold mod working with a bunch of other smaller mods. The Planar Sphere mod in particular doesn't play well with others (it's poorly coded) so it was very satisfying when I actually got it to work.
    CaloNordCrevsDaak
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @Balrog99‌ Mmm that is true, still you could always do it bit by bit as a little side project :) Because there is a chance it could work. Mine didn't run TO badly on 7. On windows 8 it barely functioned at all. The EE version works great but the older ones, not so much. haha
    Worth a shot do you think?
    edited June 2014
    Balrog99 said:

Wow this thread really took off since last night!

hehe, more and more people are getting interested in this mod. Probably some of 'em might be downloading the mods already and purchasing the old BG's. Speaking of Windows 7, I'm on the same OS and the mods are working fine so far except minor bugs.

Post edited by BGEFanatic on
    CaloNord
    A note:

1. Installation may take a long time to finish depending on the version of the mod (tactic version took almost 42-hours).
    2. You need at least 30GB of Free HDD memory.
    3. The mega-mod is not perfect as it is (you may encounter minor bugs, exe crash sometimes).
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    30GB? O_o
    CaloNordCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    jackjack said:

30GB? O_o

Yes sir...that big.
    Might be time to break out the 5 old cd's and put the original back on...
  • Carl_LCarl_L Member Posts: 41
    Hey,

Relative BG Newbie here, making my way through (slowly) the BG Trilogy for the first time (with the Enhanced Editions). Just curious if someone could elaborate on the difference between the EE's (and associated mods) and the BiG World Project, especially as to why the install process (at least for one version) would take almost TWO WHOLE DAYS?! (that kinda caught my eye).
    CaloNord
    BG: Enhanced has a fair few individual mods that have been updated to run with the updated engine. You can pick the ones you want, most people run a handful. The BiG World Project is a massive compilation of mods, as I understand it there are about 500 or so at the moment. The ones you want all have to be downloaded and installed on top of the original edition. They do not work on the Enhanced Editions at the moment.
    jackjack
    @CaloNord‌ Haha, you do that my friend. ;)

@Carl_L‌ The version I'm talking about is the "Tactic" which consist of all the stable mods which maybe 400 or so. While the "Expert" consist of all the mods from past to recent and that could be 500 or more. It's the reason why it took almost 42 hours to finish the installation. This are the two versions that is taking away plenty of time. The others e.g minimal version will only take 20-30 minutes - so if you are in for a minimal installation I say go for the earlier versions but take note that you will miss out a lot of things.

I'm a person who'd like to savor every bit of mods available for a specific game all at once, so for me even 5 days of installation will be totally fine, yes I'm that addicted and yes I'm that impractical. I nuked/wiped HDD's & SSD's for 2 weeks and I can wait that long, it's my sideline job - so 2 days are nothing.

BGEE is still a way to go for the peeps who are satisfied with it. I on the other hand don't want to miss out the good stuff that the BG fan have made for years of hard work. ;)
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I'm not against mega modding, seeing as I used to do it before BGEE came out. I will admit that there are some cons. Well, at least two I can think of right off the bat.

Like, if you really want a mod, but forgot to install it, or if a mod you really like gets updated. You have to reinstall the whole thing all over again. I've done this countless of times.

Another thing is that you can run into are bugs. Some of these mods conflict, and sometimes the solution is extremely simple, and take a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. Other solutions can take a couple of days. Sometimes the solution is to reinstall the whole thing and hope you don't run into the same bug that made you reinstall in the first place.

Point is, somewhere down the line you have to reinstall a mega-mod installation at some point. Sometimes it worth it. Sometimes its not.
    BGEFanatic
    @SapphireIce101‌ Agree, but you don't have to reinstall if you see that there are only 5-10 mod gets updated. Most of them are bug fixes and few additions but no big deal. It's when you see the final update then you need to reinstall.

*Bragging*
    Awesome, the characters are more talkative with each other. Riding horses is a good thing too.
    Woooo hold up there. Horses. Where are the horses? There are horses?
    edited June 2014
    CaloNord said:

Woooo hold up there. Horses. Where are the horses? There are horses?

Giddyup horses! tagadagtagadtagadag! yeeehaw!

Out of inventory slot? Purchase a donkey!
    HAHAHAHA! I want a mad ass! Oh that made my night. I have an image of my sorcerer casting fireballs from a charging donkey.
    I shall name him... Tony.
    BGEFanatic
    CaloNord said:

HAHAHAHA! I want a mad ass! Oh that made my night. I have an image of my sorcerer casting fireballs from a charging donkey.
    I shall name him... Tony.

Hold yer horses! I mean donkey! Please don't kill that donkey!

Ooooh! Plenty of kits to choose from...chaos knight? uummm samurai? which? okay, I g2g to sack fast. wake up early and play again.
    CaloNord
    hahahaha interesting! I shall check it out! Cheers! Sleep well :)
    CrevsDaakBGEFanatic
  • BGLover1981BGLover1981 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have a link to a site that gives a nice, somewhat in-depth summary of what each of the more popular mods does or adds? (Regarding the megamods, this might include all the smaller ones included in it.) Most of what I've seen in my google searches either gives coding info (which is of no use to a tech illiterate person such as myself) or maybe a one-sentence description, which makes it pretty hard to decide whether I'd ever want to try it.

Does anyone have a link to a site that gives a nice, somewhat in-depth summary of what each of the more popular mods does or adds? (Regarding the megamods, this might include all the smaller ones included in it.) Most of what I've seen in my google searches either gives coding info (which is of no use to a tech illiterate person such as myself) or maybe a one-sentence description, which makes it pretty hard to decide whether I'd ever want to try it.

The installeer "BGS" have description of each mods.
    CrevsDaak
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    Big World is too big for me, but I am still missing some key mods before I switch to EE. And I really want to because Wineskin install on my Mac makes it run super hot, fans full blast, and lowers FPS. If EE gets Level 1 NPCs, Divine Remix, Song and Silence I will be a happy camper.
    jackjackCrevsDaakCaloNordDazzu
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    To see the entire mods currently installed, I've uploaded the attachment. It's the WeiDU log file.
    JuliusBorisov
    shylaman said:

Big World is too big for me, but I am still missing some key mods before I switch to EE. And I really want to because Wineskin install on my Mac makes it run super hot, fans full blast, and lowers FPS. If EE gets Level 1 NPCs, Divine Remix, Song and Silence I will be a happy camper.

Apparently the Divine Remix is being worked on?

According to this thread;
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6967/bgee-mod-compatibility-thread/p1

Song and Silence, the kit portion works but the store does not. Partial compatibility.
    BGEFanaticjackjack
    I also had the though before, are some of these mods moving to far from the "Essence" of BG? As amusing as the thought was of having a donkey, to me these games have been a part of my life for a VERY long time, I'm only 22 years old and I've had them since 1998. So for me, something that radically changes how it looks, or how it plays will really not appeal to me. I'm fine with refining it, I love the tweak pack and I have RR and SCS installed but that's about it at the moment.

Again mods are a very personal thing, some people like their games a very particular one and the mod is just another to tool to make it do what you like it to do.
    But for me, it just isn't Baldur's Gate when you modify it THAT much. :)
    I'm sure I'm not alone in this! :)
    jackjackBelgarathMTH
    CaloNordsmeagolheart
    @Sergio‌ thought of everything haven't they! :D Might not be so bad to have this converted to run on BG;EE In future years. :)
    CaloNord
    @Sergio‌ Really? Sweet as! I'm going to go have a look. :) I have several copies of my BG:EE and BG2:EE, one with experimental mods, one with the mods I decide I like and will be using and a clean back up. I would suggest more people start doing this. It's saved me a lot of trouble in the past. They can literally be copy and pasted and just renamed and the exe inside will still work. It's very handy.