Skip to content

New to SK. Question about Jester song.

demonbreatherdemonbreather Member Posts: 9
edited June 2014 in General Modding
Hi all, this is my first post. I've played BG and BGII off and on since they've been released, but I've never tinkered around with Shadowkeeper. (Great tool, btw!) For this run (my first stab at the Trilogy mod), I've decided to make Imoen a Jester. Unfortunately, I really can't tell if her battlesong is working correctly. I'm pretty confident that I set her class and kit properly, and I get the notifications that she is using her song ability, but I don't see any resist rolls from enemies and I haven't had any successful confusion effects. Granted, I'm not even to Nashkel yet, but I figure I should have seen some evidence of the jester song in the dozen or so small skirmishes I've had so far.

So, I guess my question is this: do I need to tweak anything in SK to ensure that my jester is using the correct bard song, or is that taken care of by just setting the class? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Set her class and kit to bard/jester, then set her level to 0. Then go into your game and level her to 1st level. You'll need to then go back into ee keeper and fix her hp.
  • demonbreatherdemonbreather Member Posts: 9
    Yeah, the first tips I found for changing kits were along the same lines. I'm just wondering specifically about the jester song. I'm almost through the Nashkel mine and I have no clue whether Jester-Imoen's song is working at all. It /may/ have worked on the dwarf assassin in the Red Sheaf, but it could have just been a standard morale failure. I have to admit I wasn't paying the closest attention. I may change her class again (or kick her out of the group) if this whole Jester thing doesn't work out.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    It should be working out. That's all there is to it. It could be that she just hasn't had any luck with it. Don't let her attack or anything either, it will cancel out the song. She can more around though.
    Oh, one detail I neglected to add before - when the song is active, my party gets the bard buff icon on their portraits as though they're being affected by the standard song.
    edited June 2014
    May I borrow your save? :) If you can make a zip of it and upload it using the 'Attach a file' option? I shall see if I can fix it for you my good man. :)
    Post edited by CaloNord on
    Would that even be possible if our mods didn't match up? I have a handful of 'em installed at the moment: BGT with Rogue Revisions (I suspect this might be the culprit), Stratagems, Big Map v6... And a couple more that I don't recall at the moment.
    Shouldn't make to much of a difference, worth a shot. I may well be able to fix it ;)
    I won't overwrite your save or anything. ;)
    Bah. I got an error uploading. Thanks for the offer though, Calo. I'm gonna keep at it in the hopes that the lack of results is just based on being low level.
    I don't think that's the case. It shouldn't be displaying the bard song sign if it was working like it was meant to. That's not for Jesters. :) Never the less ;)
    @demonbreather‌ - EEKeeper has an effects tab that you can use to see what effects are on each character. A jester should have effect 251 (0xFB in hex), which is Change Bard Song. It should set the bard song effect to SPCL751A.
    CaloNord said:

I don't think that's the case. It shouldn't be displaying the bard song sign if it was working like it was meant to. That's not for Jesters. :) Never the less ;)

Right. I was just hoping that it was some sort of graphical debris left behind after changing her class. :/ Wishful thinking.
    edited June 2014

@demonbreather‌ - EEKeeper has an effects tab that you can use to see what effects are on each character. A jester should have effect 251 (0xFB in hex), which is Change Bard Song. It should set the bard song effect to SPCL751A.

Just to clarify, using BGT, not EE, but I took a look at the effects tab (misspelled as Affects in the program, but whatever). Unfortunately, I know too little to risk modifying anything in there. I mean, I suppose I could add #251, but nothing is labeled well, so I'm worried I'd end up with conflicts. This whole Jester thing is literally giving me a headache.

Edit: I do want to say thanks for all the timely comments. I really appreciate it. I'll try @AstroBryGuy's suggestion once I clear my head.
    @AstroBryGuy‌ Wow, thanks so much, Astro.

I started a new game with a jester pc so I could copy the correct value from that char to Imoen in my current save. It works! Really looking forward to this playthrough. My core party, at least for the time being, is going to be Stalker PC, Jester Imoen, Xzar and Montaron. I think it's going to be interesting. :D
    Glad to hear it!
  • FixTesteRFixTesteR Member Posts: 8
    Set her class and kit to bard/jester, then set her level to 0. Then go into your game and level her to 1st level. You'll need to then go back into ee keeper and fix her hp.

Thank you! Works like a charm. Except the kit description is vanilla, and not the RR one. That's the EEKeeper's limitation, probably.
    CaloNord wrote: »

Exactly. The icon should be just on the Jester's portrait. That's when it works as it should.