Skip to content

How to mod GOG-Version of BG?

zohanzohan Member Posts: 2
I just bought the GOG-Version of BG which seems to be the Windows-version with a wineskin-Wrapper. I tried to install a mod as described in the Hitchikers Guide, but when I start the setup I get the error message "Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory." So there seems to be a problem with the right directory. I think this has to do with the fact, that in the GOG-Wineskin-version the game files are in a virtual "C"-directory and not in the "resources" directory. But perhaps I'm wrong here.
(note: the right waidu version is installed)

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Comments

• jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157
    edited July 2014
    It sounds like maybe the mods really are in the wrong directory. Are you putting them where they need to be--inside the .app wrapper, in the same directory with bgmain.exe?
    Post edited by jcompton on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2014
    The Hitchhikers Guide instructions are for BGEE installs, not original BG1.

For BG1, go to the BG1 app, right click on it, and select "Show Package Contents". There should be a "drive_c" folder there (I'm basing this on what is in the Icewind Dale II app package). Go to that folder, then "GOG Games" and then you should see the BG1 folder. Open it. This folder should contain the program bgmain.exe. You will need to install your mods in that folder.

Keep in mind that while there are some mods available for normal BG1, most mods are intended for BGTutu or BGT (which run BG1 in the BG2 engine). So, check the mods you're planning to install to make sure they are compatible with BG1.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

As a general FYI:

I see lots and lots of people playing the GOG versions in WINE, which makes a lot of sense because it's free. But it is also somewhat problematic when using things like NI/ShadowKeeper and (in my experience) mouse controls.

Since GOG is now providing Wine-wrapped versions of the Infinity Engine games for OSX, I'm sure there will be more. You no longer have to "roll your own".

For those who want to use NI for modding with the Wine versions of IE games on OSX, there's a problem. OSX won't let the NI file open dialog see inside the game app package to find the CHITIN.KEY file. So, here's a little trick:

1. Go to the app package in your Applications folder.
    2. Right click on it, and select "Show Package Contents".
    3. You should now see some folders, including one called "drive_c". Go to that folder, then "GOG Games".
    4. Now, there should be a folder for the game. Hold down the Option and Command keys and drag the game folder to the Desktop (or whereever you want to keep it). This will create an alias to the game folder that NI can see.
    5. Now, open NI. Select Open Game from the File menu and navigate to where you put the game folder alias. You can now select the alias to get into the game folder. Once you're in the game folder, open CHITIN.KEY. NI will now be ready to mod your game.
    6. If you move the alias, you'll have to re-do step 5 in NI.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    We don't provide support for non-EE versions of the game, so moving this out of Performance Issues.
  • zohanzohan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice, I will try it!