Skip to content

Unbiased Ir'revrykal+5 mod

CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
BG2:EE added Ir'revrykal, a +5 TWS only usable by evil Paladins (Blackguards), but as it is based in the good ol' Unholy Reaver (thanks to Tresset for finding that it was actually based in that sword, codenamed reaver.itm), it's much underpowered than Carsomyr (which can also be upgraded to +6), so I made a few tweaks to it so it gets a little more powerful and description accurate :) abilities toward good creatures.
In the future I might add some other things to the weapon. Any type of feedback it's welcome.
JuliusBorisovCaloNordelminsterDungeonnoobTresset

Comments

• Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2014
    I agree. Ir'revrykal could have the familiar abilities like Carsomyr. I played mod called tactics from Weimer and there was Unholy Reaver only usable by Anti-paladins, which was a Fighter kit with Inquisitor's abilities and can be only evil. I liked that weapon and I really wish, if Ir'revrykal has the same abilities like Unholy Reaver from Tactics mod.

Immunity to Charm and psionic attacks
    Dispel magic by every hit
    Thaco +5
    Damage 1d12 +5, +5 against good creatures

It would be good, if blackguard could also have his own powerful armor set like Full Plate Mail and Helmet only usable by blackguards. :)

I imagine something like this:

CrevsDaakDungeonnoobMush_Mush
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2014
    Better idea: No dispel on hit, but for each spell that would be disspelled on hit, 1d4 damage extra to the one bearing the spell while still keeping the spell active, ignoring any damage reduction and resistance. As a trade-off, keep the sword at +5. A sword turning protective spells harmful sounds truly evil.

But i doubt that such a trait is scriptable.
    CrevsDaakNoobacca
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    There is a 3.5 ability similar to that, damages defensive casters worse.

As another point, Paladins get the ToB sword (purifier) AND Carsomyr...
    Any news about the progress? I wonder, if you are still working on it or there is no reason to continue in this. I really wish I could help, but I'm no modder and I have no experience with Near Infinity.

Except that sword, you could create also new armor sets, shields, helms and some trinkets like magical rings, necklaces, belts and more.

Because some of the new Items in BG2EE, except Unholy Reaver are only in the new npc's quests, which I really hate about Enhanced edition. For more, some of the old items from original game like helmets, have a new and weird colors and models. Like Helm of glory in original BG2 has horns and white color, in EE it has some yellow and grey colors with wings, which I really don't like it at all. I liked the old models, which they were more suitable with armors and shields.

But it's up to you, I don't forcing you or something. I only just want to help you with this.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Rylorn23‌ I'm working on a different mod, which adds an encounter to BG:EE/Tutu/BGT. I'll see of coming back to work to BG2 when I finish the first version ;)
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]Erg
  • SariySariy Member Posts: 3
    How do I download this?
    @Sariy‌ sorry, seems that I forgot to upload this :P Here it is :) Thanks for reminding me!
    CaloNord
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Cheer's Crevs! Just what the Dr order! Can't have those goody goodys having all the damn fun can we! :P
    CrevsDaaklaptopman666
    I've downloaded this mod, but where is setup.exe? How do I install it?
    @Rylorn23‌ get WeiDU from here http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Windows-236.zip and rename weidu.exe into setup-7C#Unbiased.exe, run it and then it should install.
    I use Mac so I sometimes forget to add the exe installer, I'll update it in a day or so.
    elminster
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited July 2014
    Looks interesting, but I have a few suggestions:

1) In terms of installing the mod, wouldn't it be easier to just drop the specific .itm file into the override folder, the way you can with Drizzt's equipment to get rid of Malchor Harpell? (http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?topic=8093.0) Maybe @CoM_Solaufein could help with that?

2) Is the sword actually going to be called "Unbiased Ir'revrykal"? That's breaking the fourth wall juuuuust a bit. ;)

3) To keep the Carsomyr parallel, is there any way to program Cespenar to combine the sword with an Eye of Gruumsh (like the Eye of Tyr, but you can stash it somewhere in Lunia or Watcher's Keep, maybe as an item you get after poisoning the tree in Lunia?) to give it a boost to +6?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited July 2014
    shawne said:

In terms of installing the mod, wouldn't it be easier to just drop the specific .itm file into the override folder

@shawne, you need WeiDU to update the item description, so, in this case, you can't just put the itm file in override. Besides, I think that this mod is still a work in progress and @CrevsDaak will probably improve it by patching the item in a future release, instead of simply replacing it.
    Post edited by Erg on
    CrevsDaak
    Erg said:

shawne said:

In terms of installing the mod, wouldn't it be easier to just drop the specific .itm file into the override folder

@shawne, you need WeiDU to update the item description, so, in this case, you can't just put the itm file in override. Besides, I think that this mod is still a work in progress and @CrevsDaak will probably improve it by patching the item in a future release, instead of simply replacing it.
    Yep. I am currently fiddling around usability bits on WeiDU, so I can make the sword usable by good/neutral, and do the same to Carsomyr, so it damages Evil users. Then I'll release it as a copy/patch WeiDU.

The sword's name isn't changed, I just adjust the description a bit, I don't even modified the lore nor anything.

I'll see of making it upgradable, it isn't too difficult but I yet haven't looked into that :)
    Ergshawne
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Hmm... I don't know, it seems weird to make Ir'revrykal usable by good/neutral and Carsomyr usable by evil - what's the point of having a "Dark Carsomyr" in the first place if the original one can be used by Evil parties?
    shawne said:

Hmm... I don't know, it seems weird to make Ir'revrykal usable by good/neutral and Carsomyr usable by evil - what's the point of having a "Dark Carsomyr" in the first place if the original one can be used by Evil parties?

Because they'll get an effect (the unbiased version of Ir'revrykal has it ATM) to deal magical damage to evil/good wielders, given the nature of their enchantment, instead of the blades making unusable by those alignments.
  • KainePKaineP Member Posts: 9
    @CrevsDaak‌ This looks about perfect to hand to a Blackguard, but have you considered increasing the damage dice to 1d12 to put it on par with Carsomyr(+5) in terms of physical damage?

Also, is it possible to have Carsomyr deal extra damage to all evil creatures instead of just the chaotic ones?
    @KaineP - Agree. I think it would be also good, if Carsomyr's magic resistance ( 50% ) could be fixed and can combine together with character's current magic resistance. Instead of setting your magic resistance to 50% if you using Carsomyr with other magic items like cloak of balduran ( cloak of Balduran 25% + Carsomyr 50% = 75% ).

And about the extra damage to all evil creatures, how if could dealt 5/6 magic damage to all evil creatures and 5/6 magic damage to all chaotic creatures. Even that they are Chaotic good or Chaotic neutral. Chaotic evil creatures will have problem here, because they will suffer 10 magic damage by every hit.

KaineP said:

@CrevsDaak‌ This looks about perfect to hand to a Blackguard, but have you considered increasing the damage dice to 1d12 to put it on par with Carsomyr(+5) in terms of physical damage?

Also, is it possible to have Carsomyr deal extra damage to all evil creatures instead of just the chaotic ones?

Nice ideas, I'll work on those (the d12 change is already done, the other one isn't yet), thanks for the feedback.
    Rylorn23 said:

@KaineP - Agree. I think it would be also good, if Carsomyr's magic resistance ( 50% ) could be fixed and can combine together with character's current magic resistance. Instead of setting your magic resistance to 50% if you using Carsomyr with other magic items like cloak of balduran ( cloak of Balduran 25% + Carsomyr 50% = 75% ).

And about the extra damage to all evil creatures, how if could dealt 5/6 magic damage to all evil creatures and 5/6 magic damage to all chaotic creatures. Even that they are Chaotic good or Chaotic neutral. Chaotic evil creatures will have problem here, because they will suffer 10 magic damage by every hit.

I don't know about the Magic Resistance, items you equip after it _will_ stack, but item equipped before (or innate bonuses) will not. It would get too overpowered (because of the Magic Resistance cleric spell and the Resist Magic fighter HLA) for my liking, but I'll leave it as an option when installing the mod.
    OK, I finished the stuff with the cursed library and sorted out lots of problems—still not fully implemented, but all the changes are now being patched instead of replacing the file like before.
    Erg
    Hi CrevsDaak, I have discovered 2 bugs in your mod.

First: In the description is written, that it will Dispel magic by every hit, but it still dispel 50% chance by every hit like in the original version.

Second: It's not a mod bug, but when I check the sword in Near Infinity tool, you incorrectly set the glowing effect on the blade. It should be correctly "Location: Weapon Head/Blade Minor 21" and not Weapon Head/Blade/Staff Major 16.

I also set a new colors for Ir'revrykal and Enkidu's Plate in Near Infinity, because some new color for some items looks very ugly to me. Especially for Enkidu's Full Plate +3 and for Shuruppak's Plate. I liked their colors from original BG2 game. In EE they look weird.

I've set the new colors to look like a Blackguard. First variation:

Second variation:

edited October 2016
    Rylorn23 said:

Hi CrevsDaak, I have discovered 2 bugs in your mod.

First: In the description is written, that it will Dispel magic by every hit, but it still dispel 50% chance by every hit like in the original version.

Second: It's not a mod bug, but when I check the sword in Near Infinity tool, you incorrectly set the glowing effect on the blade. It should be correctly "Location: Weapon Head/Blade Minor 21" and not Weapon Head/Blade/Staff Major 16.

Yeah, actually both are bugs. Fixed both, thanks for reporting @Rylorn23‌ ;)
    Updated mod is attached to the last post with... with an attachment.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    Rylorn23Zakharon
  • ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    What does the mod do in detail?
    Zakharon said:

it changes Ir'revrykal so it's more powerful, besides, it also changes Carsomyr to hurt Evil characters that wield it (same happens with Ir'revyrkal). The new bonuses aren't huge but the sword is better than in vanilla, and, worth using now.
  • ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    CrevsDaak said:

Zakharon said:

it changes Ir'revrykal so it's more powerful, besides, it also changes Carsomyr to hurt Evil characters that wield it (same happens with Ir'revyrkal). The new bonuses aren't huge but the sword is better than in vanilla, and, worth using now.
    So Ir'revrykal is still +5 or is it a +6 now?
    Zakharon said:

CrevsDaak said:

Zakharon said:

So Ir'revrykal is still +5 or is it a +6 now?
    Still +5, it just makes the +5 version better, someday I might add a +6 version.
    Zakharon
    OK, I've just found this and I considered it needed some love and EET compatibility so here goes v1.4. I'm not shipping WeiDU so get your own copy from here http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,29577.0.html and rename it to setup-7c#unbiased(.exe).
    JuliusBorisovTresset
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    I haven't gotten that far in BG2 but I sure dig the artwork.
  • AnardilAnardil Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2018
    Getting a parsing.parse_error. I did rename the weidu to setup-7c#unbiased.exe and it launches fine but...hmm...ideas?