Skip to content

Share Your Wild Mage "Best Practices" For The Class

2»

Comments

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @dreamrider‌ I agree, Wild Surges are overrated. Even the few lethals one are very easy to protect from.

But remember that Chaos Shield and Improved Chaos Shield cannot be stacked !
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 380
    How I handle wild mages:

1) Save early, save often. I usually quick save after every fight, before every rest, and normal save after every successful rest. I also keep two save files. I do all of this even without a wild mage.

2) If you are expecting a long fight and to cast a lot of spells make Chaos Shield your opening move for your wild mage (or part of pre-fight prep).

3) Nahal's Reckless Dweomer (NRD) intentionally causes a wild surge with the hopes of casting a spell you want. Remember that the higher level of a caster you are the more likely you'll cast the correct spell when a wild surge happens (Chaos Shield raises your caster level for this purpose). That said, NRD's true power comes in at higher levels (higher than what BG1 allows) when you wild surge and your chances of failure are lower. Once you reach a high enough level to cast Improved Chaos Shield, only prep NRD and cast Improved Chaos Shield before every match (and keep extras prepared). You can prepare your other spells whatever way you want but at higher levels you really shouldn't have the problem of not having the proper spell prepared since you can wild surge one into existence with a good chance of success. Just remember that you can still fail.

I kinda want to go play a wild mage now.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited July 2014
    I like using Wild Mages in the Black Pits... You get all sorts of shenanigans like almost dying against diseased gibberlings because your magic missile went aoe and hit your entire party.

Wild Mages are Murphy's Law.