Skip to content

Scripting Hard-Coded Class Features

ForliezenForliezen Member Posts: 18
I've been having fun playing around with new kits, spells, and items in DLTCEP, but I've run into a problem that it seems only scripting can solve. I looked up scripting tutorials and learned a few things, but not specifically how to do what I want, so I'm asking for assistance here. Basically, I want to give the monk fist progression to a non-monk kit in a way that will persist through reloading saves. As I understand it, it would have "myself" as the object, "level" as trigger, and would... somehow then give your character opcode 143 with a value of 10 to replace the fist. I've never been a programmer, and I'm very lost. Please help!

Comments

• KeshavKeshav Member Posts: 8
    Hey, did you ever figure out how to do this? I was also interested in doing this with a custom kit.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited July 2014
    You should look for kit creation tutorials on community forums like Gibberlings 3 or Spellhold Studios.

This 10 years old one for instance should still be mostly accurate but there has to be more recent ones out there : http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=584

Basically the CLABxxxx.2DA file related to your kit dictates what effects (or innates) it gains as it levels up, you just have to create the spell with permanent effects to be applied.
    Yeah, I've read that tutorial already and know how to give abilities to kits in the CLAB file. However, as Forliezen explained in his original post, it isn't clear how to apply the monk fists to a non-monk kit in a way that will persist through reloading saves.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    My bad I just never play monk so I didn't understand the monk fists issue...
    I'd try simulating the fists with another weapon that evolves with levels. Like if it's a kit for the player you'd put them in their inventory at the start of the game through area script while the evolution is done from baldur.bcs; otherwise for a recruitable npc you could lock the weapon slot while its own script deals with the weapon evolution? Ideas~
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Take a look at the Arcane Fist kit from SP Collection (specifically the scripting for baldur.bcs), as I basically had to do the same thing. The kit gets a custom fist item, and the engine tries to revert it at every reload.
    Will do, thank you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @subtledoctor‌ you could, but the thing is giving them a fist that behaves like a fist and *not* like an undroppeable item.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Just so I'm clear, what's the benefit of that? Is it just for immersion, or is there a mechanical benefit? I was going to have the 'weapon' be a set of gloves or something like boxing tape.

There I have no idea :P I'd say it's for immersion, kinda worst from a mechanical (completely mechanical, no game rules taken into account, just engine limitations and workarounds to avoid them) point of view but it won't cause any bug nor mess with anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.