Skip to content

Talk to me about Dragon Age...

abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
So, I bought the Ultimate Edition of Origins (as it includes all the DLC and cost only marginally more than vanilla) and I'm currently in my first run through with my standard sword & board human knight type Charname, Carthius.
Really enjoying the game (especially the little Baldur's Gate references that keep popping up!), but wondering about replays going forwards…

How different are the background stories for the other races, and which should I try next? My usual RPG tactic is to follow up a knight run with a Rogue run, and subsequently a Mage. I'm open to persuasion however... :)
Are the elf & human mage routes any different?

Feel free to wander off-topic and give any general advice about the game… but try to limit major spoilers (in my current run, I've completed Redcliffe and the Ashes quest and I'm about to visit the dwarves).

Comments

• ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @abacus There is no difference in the mage prologues. Elf or Human it's the same story. I do believe there are different conversations depending on your race.

If you like being a Rogue then try the Dual-wielding talents. I had a ton of fun with my dual-wielding Dwarf.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The first chapters are all completely different depending on the type of character you create. I suggest you roll one of each to see all the opening performances.

After that it is pretty linear and not much changes plot wise and only some dialog options change depending on your origin story. So whatever character you decide to make is up to you.

My favorite character for DA:O was a mass murdering casteless dwarven rogue who used a maul. Good times.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I like the idea of being this BMF. image
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    The different backstories are definitely worth playing.
  • mewp12mewp12 Member Posts: 61
    I have done all of the characters. The Human knight is the easiest but I found the Dwarf Female Royal to be the most fun and the best fighter.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The Dwarf and Human Noble storylines are my favorite, both being revenge stories (and I like revenge stories).

The Elf Commoner one plays out fairly differently whether you're male or female, whereas most are basicly the same. Gender selection mostly impacts who you can develop a romance with and a few conversations. Background impacts a lot of interactions when encountering the area you choose the background from (Orzammar for being a noble or common dwarf, for example).

As for advice; Go with whatever you want. The intro adventures are 2 hours-ish, I'd say play each of them. They're all fun. Then play the rest with whatever you like to play.
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    DA:O is absolutely replayable... but maybe wait at least a few weeks between each game? Play what you feel like, in other words. Rogues get a few small quest other characters can't get, iirc.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    As for what Origin to play next: Dwarf Noble.
    It was the first one I did and that part was probably the highlight of the whole game for me.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I like the story, the character backgrounds, the character graphics but the environment graphics just suck. They were dated before the game was even finished. Plus I really don't like a "closed" world. I've been spoiled on open world games like the Elder Scroll games, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. If it as open world and had better environment graphics I would put it in as one of my top games.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    The graphic problems can kinda be sat at the feet of the five year development hell they found themselves in. I suspect the original game was less "finished" than "abandoned".

That said they don't bother me that much. I treat DA:O as a spiritual successor to the BG games with a more console-friendly style. It's a great story and they're some fun characters, and no matter which origin you take there are callbacks and a pay-off to that story as you play through the main quest.

It's a completely different beast to the Fallout/Elder Scrolls open-world style, which I also enjoy, but it scratches a completely different itch for me. They don't really compare, it's like burgers and pizza.
    Yeah, I noticed that the graphics seem to be lacking... But that's not why I play RPGs, so I can live with that. (After all, Baldur's Gate doesn't suffer.)

Thanks for all the insights guys, I think my next run will actually be an Elf Mage... I've started to get a grip on the magic mechanics now, so I'm interested in building a scratch character around them.

Shifting the discussion slightly, how should I best tackle dragons? What level do I need to be and which NPCs should I bring along? I had a run at the one outside the Ashes temple, and also at the Shapeshifter witch... Got creamed into reloading both times (even with the difficulty cranked down)... So any advice would be good. :)
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    When fighting dragons, your standard party comp is fine, but depending on the gear you have, you'll want to be in the mid teens at least, with a tank in the heaviest armor possible and as much fire resist gear as you can get your hands on. Having a mage who can ressurect is also handy. (so Wynne or PC Mage with the Spirit Healer tree maxed).

Having two melee (no more, no less) works best in my experience, since the melee DPSer can off-tank the dragon if your healer lets your tank die and you need to ress him.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Also important, make sure your tank has an ability that makes him immune to knockback (Indomitable in the Two-handed tree, one of the Shield Specialization talents in the Sword&Board tree). Dragons throw you around a lot and a guy can't keep his attention when he's on his back half the time.

Morrigan has at least one curse in her spellbook (increases elemental damage taken), throw on as many different ones as you can and nuke it to bits.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Worth every single replay. I've had it since release and bought all the DLC as they came out like an idiot. But even now it's still a lot of fun for me. The origin stories are beautiful and unique. Love it.

I think the Dalish elf is my favorite. I would really love a Dalish elf Mage.

Fairly hyped for 3 as well. As long as it's better the DA2 I'll be happy. :) Looking pretty amazing at this point!
    Are they vulnerable to any particular elements? I feel like ice should be useful... But have nothing to base that on...