Skip to content

Ah, Romantic Places to Remember (spoiler warning, probably)

Okay, I'm a sentimental fool, but does anyone else have romantic memories associated with particular places in the game, even when playing different Charnames?

The inn in Umar Hills always remains the place where Anomen and my Charname consummated their relationship.

And near the water in the Bridge District, around sunset, is where Rasaad once walked up to (a different) Charname and told her they should always stay together, etc. etc. (This was particularly notable because it was really good timing; usually I get stuff like him saying "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" when we're in the Graveyard District at night. :/)

And every time I get to the last battle in Throne of Bhaal, I always remember that Aerie once gave birth there and laugh. I should commission someone to draw that scene one of these days.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited March 2014
    The Belching Dragon always did it for me. (Maybe it's the name?)
    Also the actual coastline areas of The Sword Coast, as well as the stage underneath The Five Flagons Inn.
    Heart strings.
    Edit: perhaps I'm misunderstanding the thrust of this thread. I generally don't go in for in-game romantic entanglements, rather, I find these and other places romantic in a broader context - I'm not thinking of any intimate encounters when I remember these scenes.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    I think it was at the druid grove that I first went skinny dipping with Aerie... :)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    jackjack said:

Also the actual coastline areas of The Sword Coast, as well as the stage underneath The Five Flagons Inn.
    Heart strings.
    Edit: perhaps I'm misunderstanding the thrust of this thread. I generally don't go in for in-game romantic entanglements, rather, I find these and other places romantic in a broader context - I'm not thinking of any intimate encounters when I remember these scenes.

I usually (unwillingly) mess up my attempts at romance, but like jackjack I have romantic connotations with certain places. I love the Umar Hills. I think it's the most pleasant area for me in SoA/ToB. In BG1 I love the Cloudpeaks.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    don't really memorize the locations of the encounters. somebody seems to always want to say something to me amidst the shadow dragon though...

i just generally never get good locations. it always seems to be akward unless I am in athkatla where I usually have a calm moment anyway.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    jackjack said:

Heart strings.

Yes, looked at this way, I'd agree about the coastline. I always imagine my Charname grew up looking at the sea from the windows of the Candlekeep towers and wondering what it would be like to actually go down there and swim in it (so close, yet so far!)

I also have a strange fondness for Ulgoth's Beard . . . maybe it's just all the pumpkin patches. Reminds me of autumn, which I like.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Jenzafar said:

I also have a strange fondness for Ulgoth's Beard . . . maybe it's just all the pumpkin patches. Reminds me of autumn, which I like.

Yes, Ulgoth's Beard and the Werewolf island are probably the best maps in BG1, also Durlag's Tower lower levels are very well done and art of my favorites.
    I haven't played any romances, so I can't say about that, but the BG2 maps that I like the most are Irenicus dungeon, Watcher Keep's Machine of Lum the Mad and Final Seal level, Umar Hills, the area of the Shadow Dragon (the circular map where the dragon is), the Planar Sphere and Throne of Blood.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    I did Viconia under the attentive gaze of a shadow dragon. Thankfully, he didnt join in.

Hilarious that story about aerie giving birth in the last battle. Lets forget the fact that Amns officials will have a hard time filling the "birth place" field for her ID card. And the whole irresponsability of charname and aerie to have her go around 9 months pregnant fighting baddies.

If that woman is able to give birth and right after kill melissan, she is my new hero.

An idea for a simple mod: change aerie's sprite to a fat human lady when she is 80% in her pregnancy
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    Oh this topic is the best! THANK YOU. Also, it proves that hot half-orcs have terrible timing, no matter fairly high Charisma (or maybe exactly because of that? Yes, this, since they're also successful xD). In my case Dorn chose all the weird places for his impossibly subtle advances. Like, outside Delosar's Inn just after he almost died during the encounter with Dennis and his pals. Or Circus Tent, where he decided that my charname's ass needs some kicking to prove his feelings or something (AGAIN after a battle. I see a pattern here). Then the Graveyard. Outside, when I clicked "rest" by accident.
    Oh, Dorn.
    When it comes to visuals and music, I find Hidden Refuge particularly enchanting. No idea how Neera romance looks like though and if this place has some special meaning, but I'll probably check that out at some point.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    edited April 2014
    MacHurto said:

I did Viconia under the attentive gaze of a shadow dragon. Thankfully, he didnt join in.

Hilarious that story about aerie giving birth in the last battle. Lets forget the fact that Amns officials will have a hard time filling the "birth place" field for her ID card. And the whole irresponsability of charname and aerie to have her go around 9 months pregnant fighting baddies.

If that woman is able to give birth and right after kill melissan, she is my new hero.

An idea for a simple mod: change aerie's sprite to a fat human lady when she is 80% in her pregnancy

She gave birth I think right after the ice salamanders/air elementals. I like to imagine we were just about to go after the marileths, succubus, and fallen planatar when she screams, "The baby! It's coming!" Maybe those evil ladies shrugged and laid down their arms a moment to aid the delivery.

I think it would have been interesting if Charname could have become pregnant herself somewhere along the way . . . it's not like ToB lasts anywhere near nine months (but then, I suppose someone would have tried resting a lot to get there).
    winters said:

When it comes to visuals and music, I find Hidden Refuge particularly enchanting. No idea how Neera romance looks like though and if this place has some special meaning, but I'll probably check that out at some point.

The wild forest is pretty sweet. Charname was once wandering around by herself trying to wrangle up some cats for that guy at the refuge, when suddenly Rasaad's romance music started and he ran over to talk about his childhood in Calimport and how he finds forests peaceful. It was cute.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Ahh, @jcompton. Master of romance. ;)
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    edited July 2014
    @Jenzafar
    This made me smile. It is good to know I am not the only “sentimental fool”. For me it will always be Trademeet where Anomen first laid his armor down.

@jcompton
    I’m not buying it. It’s simply not possible for the man who created the Kelsey mod not to have any romance in his soul. :)
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    The druid grove is beautiful, especially because of the music (when I am there, I always put the music on max and all other audio to min). Though I'd rather not go "skinny dipping" there, to many leeches and other small critters (not to mention giant walking mushrooms and trolls) :/

Other than that, I have fond memories of the oasis in ToB, where Anomen proposed to one of my charnames once.
    Though, in a different playthrough, he proposed *during* the fight against Abazigal (right when he transformes into his dragon form .... Not to mention that one time he picked that flower in a beholder nest :I

Ohhh, also the roof of the inn in Saradush, thanks to that fantastic Haer'Dalis romance mod *hon hon hon* ~

The red wedding with Dorn was romantic, too :D
    (Well, for a blackguard :P )
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2014
    MMM... Phaere's barracks. A strict, drow military facility, in which our charname can choose to bang someone else's would to be wife, after he plays errand dog with her... And she gets wild on us! Also, if you date Viconia already, she doesn't even have any problem or complaint with that! MMM...
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    'Romance' and 'Viconia' are two words that don't exactly sit easily with each other. Quite apart from the fact she's Drow she does seem to be a bit of an exhibitionist (she jumped charname in the middle of the floor of the Den of the Seven Veils).
    Having said that there was a distinct feeling of "I've missed you, you pain the backside, let's get out of here" when I saw her about to be burnt at the stake so I will always have a soft spot for that part of town (on the basis that romance is where you find it).
  • jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157

I’m not buying it. It’s simply not possible for the man who created the Kelsey mod not to have any romance in his soul. :)

I think what happened was that the man who created the flirt pack couldn't pass up such an innuendo-laden opportunity. That man raced ahead and posted before anybody could stop him. (I mean, it was all laid out. "Stuffing the sack", "treasure", "over and over again," etc.)

Actual romantic memories? Well, as somebody who started playing BG2 at its buggiest, I suppose just about every location in Amn carries special meaning for me, because as a Jaheira man I got to hear her tell me "There is an ill wind in the air. Do you feel it? I feel a storm inside, in the distance," everywhere we went, over and over again, until I hacked around it.

For actual, functional Jaheira moments, nothing really beats the whole Harper rescue plot for me, which (bugs aside) they did a great job weaving both into her romance and non-romance stories. So, wherever I was the first time Jaheira told me she missed me while she was gone. Awww.

(And, it really is true. In a totally non-suggestive way, I *do* spend an awful lot of time putting extra items in the sack at the back of the Copper Coronet when I play. Nothing quite like keeping a Holy Avenger next to weevil-riddled grain in a dive bar, just in case you meet a paladin someday.)