Skip to content

Blackisle is back?

francfort40francfort40 Member Posts: 20
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
http://www.blackisle.com/

new site??? rumors??? Is Interplay resurrecting Blackisle?
Post edited by Coriander on
CheesebellyAndreaColombomch202g314lordkimpablo200783

Comments

• francfort40francfort40 Member Posts: 20
    The site is lagging bad be patient everyone
    edited August 2012
    Even the interplay site unavailable....
    Please confirm your email address by clicking the link below:

Click here to complete the signup process.

Thank you for signing up to the Black Isle Studios mailing list. We will send occasional emails regarding our plans and projects. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Sincerely,
    Black Isle Studios
    (A division of Interplay)

see i have signed to their mailing list
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well I'll be go to hell... the site opened slow as mole asses but... Wow...

Is it a joke?

Saw an article on Kotaku about this, and laughed. It's a marketing ploy by Interplay, a repeated failure of a company, to try and appease people who cannot manage to remove their rose-tinted glasses. I'm sure the basement dwellers over at No Mutants Allowed are super excited, but the reality is that none of the original Black Isle talent has been reacquired. They're all off doing their own thing, actually being successful.

Well, a new team brings new talents, new ideas, new writers who knows...lets wait and see
    Arsene_Lupin
    @Schneidend : two key people come in mind of the old days actually - Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone. Big shots of inXile and Obsidian respectively, BOTH working on Wasteland 2 nowadays.

I don't know, it seems to me more like an abuse of a legendary name...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Well, a new team brings new talents, new ideas, new writers who knows...lets wait and see

I don't think I will wait and see. Interplay is in a black pit from which there is no escape. Every few years it manages to drag itself up and take a breath only to be sucked back in without actually releasing any games. I'm not sure what kind of tax evasion scheme Interplay is running by its repeated resurrections and subsequent failures, but the purpose of it certainly isn't to publish video games.

@Cheesebelly
    I wasn't aware Obsidian was also working on Wasteland 2. Neat! Wasteland was a bit before my time, but any game that originated the robo-scorpions and energy axes from Old World Blues has got to be pretty awesome.
    @Schneidend : I don't know how directly Obsidian is involved but seeing the Kickstarter, Avellone said he would put Obsidian's resources at Fargo's disposal, as well as Avellone himself being a direct developer.

As for Black Isle and Interplay... I dunno. When they announce something concrete I will judge about their wisdom. When they release or not their product, I will judge them, it's as simple as that :)
    Dragonspear
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    Sounds like a marketing trick and it will most likely work too. I used to look for The Microprose-label back in the Amiga-days.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126

Baldur's Gate coming out soon? Black Isle running around again? LET'S PARTY LIKE IT'S 1998

Ha, I was 11 then and my definition of partying now still includes a Baldur's Gate LAN but involves significantly more strippers, blow, and alcohol.
    SchneidendJarlaxleDragonspearSophia
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Looks like a marketing trick to me as well, Ill wait to see what happens, I don't need more spam :D
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Just to be sure, I check planescapetorment.com (we never know xD xD)
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Thumbs up if @Medillen's post made you click that link.
    @Tr_ond : OMG yeah, I would hope that! :o

@AndreaColombo : are we youtubizing now? XD
    Coming up next... HASHTAGS!
    giosanti
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Heh, I couldn't resist XD And I don't even have a YouTube account!
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    Damnit, that was serious? ok then i take back my ....
    Post edited by NWN_babaYaga on
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    WTF....
    lordkim
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited August 2012
    If I remember my recent Interplay history they lost their Fallout MMO lawsuit with Besthesda and will also have to stop selling the classic Fallout games online at the end of either 2012 or 2013. (You will probably still be able to get them but Besthesda will get the $, not Interplay). Since Interplay hasn't made a new game in years those online sales consituted much of their revenue stream. Not sure if they are the ones selling BG1/2/etc online these days or not. After their MMO is now MIA who would they get the investment capital to make a new game now?

Then again, when I first heard that they were remaking Baldurs Gate I thought my friend was trolling me, and we know how that turned out so... who knows?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Oh god, 2012 IS the end of the world...in the way that time is now going backwards! All the old things arise!
    I dont know if we are going backwards... I still have an Apple IIgs and an Apple IIe in storage.....I guess Im prepared for when we get back to 1980's :)
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    PhilipDaigle and TrentOster are insinuating that this might have something to do with BGEE?
    powerfulally
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @Konabuga More like BGEE is creating an opportunity for Black Isle and Interplay to remind people that they still exist. Why anyone would care is a different story.
    immagikmanmch202
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited August 2012
    Just shows how much influence and power Baldurs Gate got !!

The future lies before our feets !!!!!! And i like it !! :O)
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    @TrentOster said he knows a few THINGS (on twitter), so I guess these are the guys responsible for this.
    I suppose @PhillipDaigle knows them as well. It gets SERIOUS.
    One thing that shocked me is that Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone didn't know anything about it. Hope there won't be any unpleasant situations with this.
    AndreaColombo
    But did @TrenOster say he knew GOOD things or BAD things :D Brian said he didnt have enough info to comment....Hope he doesnt let it distract him from Wasteland 2 ;)
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    OMG, first BG:EE, then Black Isle's return... This can be the best decade ever!!!
    Let's party tonight!!!
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    that's what he said. "A few things."