Skip to content

[Known 4605] BG2EE quick load=enemies disappear

2»

Comments

• DeathOfNamesDeathOfNames Member Posts: 40
    I can confirm this as well. Never save after having scouted enemy spawn... they'll be gone when you reload :-/
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Adul Yes, it is in the tracker and being worked on #4605
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Thanks!
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    Adul said:

@prophet1 Interesting, I have just tried this in BG:EE v1.2.0 with black bear spawns (started a new game) and those remained existent after a reload. Maybe the Battle Horrors are a different case because they're spawned by traps?

You're right, I spoke too soon without checking - those battle horrors are indeed spawned by traps and I must have bypassed the traps after reloading the save. Sorry for misleading anyone reading. I don't recall this happening in BG1EE after that, so I guess this is now specific to the second game.

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Dee or some other @Moderator

Can you please merge with this and this ?

Thanks in advance
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Prepping for merge.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Prepping for merge.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

Ah so. That makes perfect sense. Strangely, I have always ignored the spawnx.2da files. Still....I'll see if the "disappearing spawn" happens--I have never been able to encounter or duplicate this apparent bug that other people seem plagued by.

So you edited it u said? If so could we have the file posted here or a tutorial on what u did? Does it only fix irenicus' dungeon however?
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited November 2013
    I edited only ar0602.are, not the .2da controlling the spawn groups (although those will now receive some attention to see what is happening with them). Originally, my Irenicus dungeon fixes changed/updated the actors because I put the typical haul of BG/TotSC equipment on the jailkeep table. This time, though, I am using scripts to assign that equipment to Irenicus' assistants--if you want your stuff back you'll have to take it from them. I am a little worried, having not tested it, because I put lesser elementals in for some spawns and they require +2 or better to hit. Still....Ashideena, The Whistling Bade, and Root of the Problem are locked in the picture so those should help.

I don't use other people's mods--nothing personal, mind you, merely a preference--but the flip side of this is that I don't upload my own fixes unless someone specifically asks me to do so. I had an ingenious fix for the "missing spawns" back after BGEE was originally released--I used scripts to make the spawns happen and scaled them to the party's level and difficulty setting--and received some negatively critical feedback for my efforts. This led me to the conclusion that other than advice from time to time it wasn't worth my time to upload my fixes for others. I am working on a long bow for someone else, though, who was mildly disappointed that there weren't any new bows for BG2EE; that item is a work-in-progress but should be ready later today or maybe tomorrow.

I edited only ar0602.are, not the .2da controlling the spawn groups (although those will now receive some attention to see what is happening with them). Originally, my Irenicus dungeon fixes changed/updated the actors because I put the typical haul of BG/TotSC equipment on the jailkeep table. This time, though, I am using scripts to assign that equipment to Irenicus' assistants--if you want your stuff back you'll have to take it from them. I am a little worried, having not tested it, because I put lesser elementals in for some spawns and they require +2 or better to hit. Still....Ashideena, The Whistling Bade, and Root of the Problem are locked in the picture so those should help.

I don't use other people's mods--nothing personal, mind you, merely a preference--but the flip side of this is that I don't upload my own fixes unless someone specifically asks me to do so. I had an ingenious fix for the "missing spawns" back after BGEE was originally released--I used scripts to make the spawns happen and scaled them to the party's level and difficulty setting--and received some negatively critical feedback for my efforts. This led me to the conclusion that other than advice from time to time it wasn't worth my time to upload my fixes for others. I am working on a long bow for someone else, though, who was mildly disappointed that there weren't any new bows for BG2EE; that item is a work-in-progress but should be ready later today or maybe tomorrow.

that is sad :(

anyway if the problem isn't fixed before you look into the .2da, I would love to get my hands on that if you share it.
  • filpanfilpan Member Posts: 34
    I can't advance because of this bug, when i quick load enemies that I killed reappear again. This happened to me in the tomb underneath Graveyard District,and its really annoying. I'll put the game on hold until they patch this
    @filpan Hmm, I think what you've described is a different bug (maybe this one?), this specific glitch is responsible for monsters disappearing between reloads, not killed monsters reappearing.
  • mayhemmayhem Member Posts: 7
    Hi there. I noticed also something but I'm not sure should this "bug" reported here, but this happened with quicksave.
    Scenario:
    I was in magic forest with my group (just going over the bridge to refugee camp) and quicksaved after getting the bridge visible. When I saved game crashed and when I loaded it again whole map was black like I haven't explore it at all. I didn't care it much so I went to refugee camp and do things there and then went back to chase cats in magic forest I started explore it again. All spiders and traps were there again. That didn't also bother me much but when I went back to Waukeens promenade that was also black. So I wander back to adventurer's mart to sell some stuff and get ring of regeneration and plate of Balduran. The upper seller guy wasn't there at all! If it won't come back I lose robe of Vecna, Plate of Balduran and couple other things what s/he sells. Have any other noticed something like that? Anyway, I won't loose my night sleeps if I need to take dungeon save in use but I feel that I need to report this.
    mayhem said:

Hi there. I noticed also something but I'm not sure should this "bug" reported here, but this happened with quicksave.
    Scenario:
    I was in magic forest with my group (just going over the bridge to refugee camp) and quicksaved after getting the bridge visible. When I saved game crashed and when I loaded it again whole map was black like I haven't explore it at all. I didn't care it much so I went to refugee camp and do things there and then went back to chase cats in magic forest I started explore it again. All spiders and traps were there again. That didn't also bother me much but when I went back to Waukeens promenade that was also black. So I wander back to adventurer's mart to sell some stuff and get ring of regeneration and plate of Balduran. The upper seller guy wasn't there at all! If it won't come back I lose robe of Vecna, Plate of Balduran and couple other things what s/he sells. Have any other noticed something like that? Anyway, I won't loose my night sleeps if I need to take dungeon save in use but I feel that I need to report this.

That is very common. Be sure to manual save alongside quicksaves, as the save gets corrupted if it crashes during the save and causes that. The entire game will now be messed up, but you can load a previous save and you will be fine
  • mayhemmayhem Member Posts: 7

That is very common. Be sure to manual save alongside quicksaves, as the save gets corrupted if it crashes during the save and causes that. The entire game will now be messed up, but you can load a previous save and you will be fine

Yep. The same has happened also in original BG2:SoA. But anyway, it won't bother me much ;)
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    As far as the goblins not appearing in the hallway in irenicus' dungeon, that also happened in vanilla BG2. Usually you have to move back to the lightning-bolt room and rest a couple times then go back to the hallway. It's a carry-over bug from vanilla.
    @Remenissions

I've replayed to you elsewhere, but I'm reposting here for your convenience:

I can't test the bug myself as I didn't buy BG2EE, but it looks to me (from what I read from other people reports) more like a carry-over bug from BGEE as it doesn't seem to affect only Irenicus' Dungeon.

In fact BGEE was affected by this bug, that I find very annoying, for almost a year (until patch 1.2; in the patch release notes they say it is gone now, but I didn't test it personally), and this particular bug was nothing like the behaviour of vanilla bg2 you are describing.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    @Erg: it does appear elsewhere, I've seen it happen in the sewers under Copper Coronet.
  • kyrakyra Member Posts: 1
    Is this fixed with the new patch?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Yes.
  • TropikTropik Member Posts: 12
    No its not fixed yet I just had this bug in Planar Sphere the golems was gone after a reload.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Sorry for the ressurection spell but will this bug be fixed in the upcoming patch ? I had the same problem as Tropik in Planar sphere, except it was the halflings that were missing after a reload.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Creatures missing in the Planar Sphere after reload was a vanilla BG2 bug too, I experienced it there more than once.
    CrevsDaak said:

Creatures missing in the Planar Sphere after reload was a vanilla BG2 bug too, I experienced it there more than once.

I don't know if this problem in BGII:EE is the same or not of the one in vanilla, but I've experienced creatures vanishing in the Planar Sphere in the original game only when I lowered the difficulty setting to get max HPs on level up. In fact, some creatures in the Planar Sphere have the following script:

IF Difficulty(EASIEST) THEN RESPONSE #100 DestroySelf() END
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,439
    edited July 2014
    As @Erg said. Furthermore, a lot of creatures in the Planar Sphere are created either by spawn points or triggers. Spawn points use the average party level to determine whether to spawn creatures or how many, that's why not all of the creatures are spawning all the time even after a reload. The golems on the top platform are spawned by stepping on a trigger (of small size), so you may have a hard time triggering them especially with small parties or if the characters are hasted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Erg‌ I'd take that as the only problem here—I'm a terrible power gamer and I change the difficulty (unless I have mods that change this) to get maximum HP on level up.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    I for one never change difficulty. But if i understand right, maybe there is some random trigger for these fights ?
    Seems a bit strange to me that so many hard fights can just completely vanish (random gobelins could be ok, but golems, and especially the mad halflings, are rather unique fights in my view), but if you say so...
    The particular bug described in this thread makes already spawned enemies disappear on reload. E.g. you scout ahead with your thief in hide-in-shadows, you see a pack of goblins, you move out of their visibility range, save, reload, and they're gone.

As far as I know the cannibal halflings are not spawned by spawn points (are they?), so they shouldn't be affected.