Skip to content

Blackisle is back?

Comments

• immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Black Isle is not "Black Isle" unless they brought all the original people back which we all know they did not....If I build a car in my garage from scrap...and call it a BMW, that doesnt make it a BMW :)
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    Back in the day I didnt know much, I always considered Black Isle THE ONE behind the games I loved. To this day I still think of it as one of the best ever.

Since they are using the same logo and all... I really hope they do not bring shame to it.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Medillen said:

Just to be sure, I check planescapetorment.com (we never know xD xD)

That's owned by a squatter.
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135

@Konabuga More like BGEE is creating an opportunity for Black Isle and Interplay to remind people that they still exist. Why anyone would care is a different story.

And after they've reminded people that they still exist, then what? Buh-bye?

There might be some actual plans to use this name for something. According to the website it's to create rpg's, so maybe there's even a team behind it. Granted, no one should expect too much from a new team, but it shouldn't be a problem to just see what they have to offer.
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    Maybe the pre-orders for BG:EE are going so well that they decided to resurrect the legend? I wonder what people would it involve. Is the team already formed or is it still under negotiation/discussion?
    But it's strange since Interplay and Atari are like, uhm... rival companies. Hope we get some info soon.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063

Black Isle is not "Black Isle" unless they brought all the original people back which we all know they did not....If I build a car in my garage from scrap...and call it a BMW, that doesnt make it a BMW :)

What ??

If you build a car, you sure doesn´t call it a name that a existing car have !!!

The people around this are hell sure of the plans or whatever they are doing. If its a scam or a serious projekt, i dont know, but ill bet they do ;)

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    At worst it's new competion in the RPG market who will bring bad game, at best it will make good games and up standards
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    ''Baldur's Gate coming out soon? Black Isle running around again? LET'S PARTY LIKE IT'S 1998''

Hehe
    It really does feel like a great time for gamers now. BGEE 1 and 2 are coming out, with talk of even BG3. Brian Fargo is making a sequel to Wasteland and Chris Avellone is publicly considering a new Planescape game. What else would I like for Christmas? Maybe a new Carmageddon gam... oh that's coming out too?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Konabuga said:

Maybe a new Carmageddon gam... oh that's coming out too?

You shouldn't drop this kind of bombs on me. For a moment I thought a proper new instalment of that franchise was being released, which would have forced me to buy a new computer to run it. Sheesh.
    Heh, It's actually as proper of an installment as it can get for a Carmageddon game, with the same people behind it from the original titles. They've always been campy games, so the lack of latest tech doesn't really bother me. I'm just looking to win some car races again by destroying all my competitors, since I can never win them by the rules.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @AndreaColombo : errr... Carmageddon Reincarnation? Successful Kickstarter? XD

Or was yours sarcasm? I can never tell XD
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    No scarsm. For the first time in my life, Wikipedia has failed me.
    Join the Google Army, @AndreaColombo... join the... gooooooo-- *goes on with the oooo until he dies without breath*
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Konabuga said:

PhilipDaigle and TrentOster are insinuating that this might have something to do with BGEE?

I INSINUATE NOTHING
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664

Konabuga said:

PhilipDaigle and TrentOster are insinuating that this might have something to do with BGEE?

I INSINUATE NOTHING
    Did you comment on it at all? I missed the post :D
  • sanctvssanctvs Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    The new Black Isle Studios has nothing to do with Overhaul team/Beamdog... right???
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Yeah i saw that too. Keep your eyes open for this one. Even though Obsidian won't likely go back to Black Isle, if they get someone that is willing to make some old school designs, who knows.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I find it a little weird that the Interplay site has the following comment:

Talk to the developers and publishers responsible for some of the most beloved classic roleplaying and action games ever! Join the Interplay forums now and share your thoughts on our new lineup of games for 2012.

Is there any dev at Interplay that is from the original Black Isle Studios? I thought they all left.
    I guess we just have to wait and see! I remember back when they announced BGEE. At first I was like "OMG YES!" and then I was like "Oh god, I hope they aren't posers!" and then I was like "They worked on BG already? A'ight, all cool!" and now I am like "GIMME GAME ALREADY!" so yeah. You never know! :p
    I guess we just have to wait and see! I remember back when they announced BGEE. At first I was like "OMG YES!" and then I was like "Oh god, I hope they aren't posers!" and then I was like "They worked on BG already? A'ight, all cool!" and now I am like "GIMME GAME ALREADY!" so yeah. You never know! :p
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure what to make of this. They don't seem to have a lot of bandwidth for that so-called site, though. I think I'd like a little more news than this. For instance, What does it mean, Stimpy? It's as if the wrongs are being made right... All we now need is for BioWare to divorce from Electronic Arts (I do assume that partnering has something to do with DA2 and other things).

[Edit]I found http://www.gamespot.com/news/black-isle-studios-returning-6392966, as well as an article on Joystiq.com. Neither really fill me with a lot of information or confidence.[/edit]
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    It wouldn't surprise me if the new Black Isle will focus on consoles than the PC.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I'm going to need new pants.....
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I just looked up an article about the legal wranglings behind the BG:EE licence and noticed Interplay is not mentioned. *Phew*

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/baldurs-gate-on-the-ipad-omg

Am I correct in half remembering that Inteplay lost the licence to all D&D - and by entension - all IE games?. Because unless I'm wrong - Interplay (once Brain Fargo had resigned) were the ones that messed it all up in the first place. Although it seemed to work out well with everyone branching off to success.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241

Interplay does not have any license or agreement that I know of to use any D&D franchise. My understanding is that Atari currently possesses exclusive rights to use the D&D franchise in videogames. If fresh development is happening at the new Black Isle, it's probably not D&D related.

That's good. I'm not negative by nature, but I do believe that it is people that make a company, not it's name or the system it employs. So this is interesting, and at least they don't have any say/effect on previous work.

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Chippy said:

Interplay does not have any license or agreement that I know of to use any D&D franchise. My understanding is that Atari currently possesses exclusive rights to use the D&D franchise in videogames. If fresh development is happening at the new Black Isle, it's probably not D&D related.

That's good. I'm not negative by nature, but I do believe that it is people that make a company, not it's name or the system it employs. So this is interesting, and at least they don't have any say/effect on previous work.

What they do have is Fallout MMO rights trought

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    Noticed interplay have a collection of classics, like Kingpin and earthworm jim, I had no idea who owned them now.

Anyway! after the hit, I can now safely say that interplay is probably just using Black Isle name...
    Most devs from the old Black Isle are working on Wasteland 2 and obsidian and:

"...it’s unclear if any members of Black Isle’s original team — now peppered across the industry but largely concentrated within Wasteland 2 co-developer Obsidian Entertainment — are participating. Obsidian designer Chris Avellone tweeted that he “knows nothing” about the announcement, and that it “doesn’t involve me or Obsidian…or, well, anyone I know.”

So interplay might have some really good ideas therefore brought BI back or they might just release some casual games under its name :| all we know is it's probably not D&D related.
    I know there is no charity in business, but damn me if I would ever take a legendary studio name unless I was sure I would not let it down. Hope its the case here.
    Post edited by Razor on
  • jmakula87jmakula87 Member Posts: 7
    Maybe this whole thing is nothing to get excited about, but to assume it is trash since the original people aren't there is ridiculous. How do you play anything new when you don't give new people a chance? No reason not to at least keep an open mind about something.