Skip to content

Battle Horrors at DT

I'm kinda tired of Jah still using a measly club (she has club**, scimitar**, and sling*), so I thought I'd pop over to DT to get her that +2 scimitar on the roof. Of course, that means I have to get past the Battle Horrors at the beginning.

I don't seem to remember it being this hard. Minsc (level 5), who is set up to be my striker is DW Greywolf's sword and a +1 long sword, and isn't even hitting them on a roll of 18. Jah and Khalid don't have magical weapons, so they can't do much even if they could hit. My cleric/mage can toss MM, CO, and AA at the thing, but not enough to kill it. I even tried using the Wand of Frost I found, but it did only 3 damage (from 8d6). What's left to do?

Comments

• KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Answered my own question. Here's what did it. Minsc, Jah, and Khalid took turns being the punching bag while my Cleric/Illusionist burned through all his acid arrows, chromatic orbs, and magic missiles...and then started using a MM wand. Eventually, the thing went down.
    elminsterBelgarathMTH
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    Well for one thing ditch chromatic orb when fighting it because you aren't going to do much damage with it.

Since Minsc is level 5 I'm assuming you are at least level 4/4 as a cleric/mage.

Do you not have Dynaheir as well? (given you have Minsc in the party). More info on your party makeup and levels is needed.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Blindness will make them sitting ducks. Fire wand also worked well with any setting IIRC.
    Abi_Dalzimelminster[Deleted User]jackjack
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I always use wand of paralyzation on them. I've noticed that its less effective in EE than in the original but they still work
    Demonoid_Limewire
    edited August 2014
    elminster said:

Well for one thing ditch chromatic orb when fighting it because you aren't going to do much damage with it.

It's what I had on hand. I don't do a whole lot of rememorization and resting in the field unless people are fatigued. So, I use what I have available. CO is generally useful, so I keep a couple on hand.
    elminster said:

Do you not have Dynaheir as well? (given you have Minsc in the party). More info on your party makeup and levels is needed.

Dynaheir is on a little "djemma" sabbatical with Firebead Elvenhair in Beregost. I dualed Imoen and need a thief until she caught up, so I sent Dyn to Firebead and picked up Safana. I might leave her there actually. Once Imoen catches up, I'll ditch Safana and keep going with a party of five. Dynaheir is going to be levels behind us by the time Imoen gets her thief levels back, so she'll just be a liability at that point. Between my cleric/illusionist and Imoen, we'll have more than enough spell power.

I'm past it now, but my levels are:

Jah 5/5
    Minsc 5
    Khalid 5
    Imoen 4
    Me Cleric 5/Illusionist 4
    Safana 5

I think Jah and Safana were one level lower when I was fighting them.
    lunar said:

Blindness will make them sitting ducks. Fire wand also worked well with any setting IIRC.

Yeah, I ended up blinding one with a CO. It helped a little. It turns out you don't need magical weapons to hit them, though. Khalid got the kill shot with his ordinary bastard sword. Unfortunately, I didn't have a fire wand yet, though I picked one up soon after in Ulcaster.

I always use wand of paralyzation on them. I've noticed that its less effective in EE than in the original but they still work

I never considered that. I figured they were some undead kind of thing and would be immune.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    Kneller said:

I never considered that. I figured they were some undead kind of thing and would be immune.

They are immune to stun so that shouldn't work. From the looks of things it may have worked in the original BG1/TOTSC as they didn't have specific immunity to stun in it.
    Yeah, I'd feel pretty cheap if I exploited that. I'm playing the GoG version, so I'm guessing the bug is still there.