Skip to content

New Weapon Types: Two Handed Axes and Rapiers!

MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
edited August 2014 in Feature Requests
I have looked through the arsenal of weaponry that Baldur's Gate has to offer and there are pretty much two points that are especially unsettling to me. Whenever I imagine rolling a barbarian the first thing I think of in my head, is him wielding a huge, menacing two handed axe. It has been something I always have wanted to do and with a little balancing and the help of the developers it would really make my Baldur's Gate dream come true. I also always envisioned my Swashbuckler dual wielding Rapiers, using a fencing type fighting style instead of a hack and slash style.

Two handed axes could go under the Axes proficiency and use slashing damage. Rapiers could go under the small swords proficiency and use piercing damage.

It would really be awesome to have these implemented into the game, even if there were maybe a single magical weapon of each type somewhere in the game, they wouldn't have to be gamebreaking and they could be balanced to equalize with the existing weapons so as to not make the older weapons obsolete.

You don't have to make their stats any different from the existing similiar weapon types in the game, it is purely an aesthetic and roleplaying feature in my opinion.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read, review or comment on this request. Especially to the developers who have stayed up many late nights to bring us the Enhanced Edition of such an amazing game. Thank you again and have an awesome day.
Post edited by Meanbunny on

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    The IWDification mod includes a component for two-handed axes.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwdification/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    *Pops monocle*

1d7? This is highly unorthodox!
  • MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    Thanks for the support guys. I am glad that this doesn't sound too crazy to some of you. I will definitely check out those mods in the mean time. :b
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited August 2014
    @subtledoctor
    Actually there is a difference. Bastard swords are stronger. They deal 2d4 (2-8), instead of 1d8 (1-8) like a longsword.

Though technically the 2d4 Bastard swords are supposed to be two-handed. (1hded is supposed to be 1d8)

Their primary difference is, a longsword is stuck at 1d8 no matter what due to their design, but a bastard's design is different, so when forgoing a shield, you deal +1 more minimum damage since the extra length of their hilt allows you to effectively use them 2hded. (BG doesn't implement this, of course...like a lot of things).

And the reason they're on different proficiencies is because even though they deal the same approximate damage, their designs are completely different in characteristics. Being proficient in longswords can't effectively wield the more bulky bastard sword 1hded, while lighter longsword screws with your combat style if you're trained in using the bastard sword.

Scimitars are also 1d8 slashing weapons, that are 1hded, and have their own proficiency catagory. Are you going to add them into the mix as well?

DnD already gives you bonus when using similar weapons to ones you have proficiency in (it reduces the non-proficiency penalty by 1, if the weapon you're using is similar to a weapon-type you have proficiency in), and last i checked, warriors at least were erroneously given a -1 non-proficency penalty, instead of the PnP accurate -2, so if you're using a warrior class, you're automatically getting the benefits of near-proficiency for every weapon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    in-game purpose is diversity, fluff.
    In your opinion Safana and Alora are redundand?