Skip to content

Modding areas. Need advice.

DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
edited August 2014 in BG:EE Mods
Hi friends.
As you can see on the screenshots there's a mess on the map screen. How can I fix it? MOS files are identical I guess.

Need some advice.
Post edited by DarkDogg on

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It looks like the MOS for your map has been designed for the original BG which is slightly smaller. The result is a mismatch between the actual party position and the markers on the map screen. As I don't know the actual dimensions of your map tileset (TIS file), I can only give some general hints. The ratio of the map tileset (TIS) to the overview map (MOS) is 10.667:1 for the original BG/BG2 and 6.4:1 for BG(2)EE.

Example: Let's assume that the map tileset has the dimension of 3840x2880 pixels. The resulting overview map dimensions would be 360x270 pixels for the original BG/BG2 and 600x450 pixels for BG(2)EE. You can convert between MOS and PNG/BMP with the usual resource editors (e.g. DLTCEP or NearInfinity).
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    argent77 said:

It looks like the MOS for your map has been designed for the original BG which is slightly smaller. The result is a mismatch between the actual party position and the markers on the map screen. As I don't know the actual dimensions of your map tileset (TIS file), I can only give some general hints. The ratio of the map tileset (TIS) to the overview map (MOS) is 10.667:1 for the original BG/BG2 and 6.4:1 for BG(2)EE.

Example: Let's assume that the map tileset has the dimension of 3840x2880 pixels. The resulting overview map dimensions would be 360x270 pixels for the original BG/BG2 and 600x450 pixels for BG(2)EE. You can convert between MOS and PNG/BMP with the usual resource editors (e.g. DLTCEP or NearInfinity).

Thank you for the hint. It helped.
    edited August 2014
    Working with tiles.

I want to add a cave entrance on a existing map - Gullikyn village AR4000.
    Using the latest DLTCEP I've extracted the whole map as a bmp. Draw a cave entrance and then imported it as a tis (the cave works fine). Then I've realized that the doors on the map are broken (halfling homes). They had only one animation - open or closed. I've tried to fix the doors manualy, but no luck. I've got a error message in the DLTCEP every time I was trying to import the extracted door tilesets.
    Ok. Tried simply to replace tiles. Copied the tiles from my bmp row by row and replaced the original ones on the tis. Saved and in the game all map is black. After replacing I couldn't open the saved TIS in my override folder - DLTCEP crashes with an error...

Ok I went to google =)
    Found a great tutorial.
    http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/dltcep/index.htm

Went to
    More Advanced Topics
    1: Modifying Existing Areas 1

Did all the same things step by step. AR4000 has 17 extra tiles, then I needed to add 62 alternative tiles, right? AR4000 has 79:59 of 80:60 (79 - 17 = 62?). Save. But everytime I would like to operate with the saved TIS file I've got an windows error (DLTCEP crushes).

I've tried different things many times and now I seek help on the forum =)

Could someone give me a hint on this, please.

@argent77 maybe you could help me once again?

One more thing. To create a new MOS file with the cave on it. When I save the new BMP or TIS as a MOS file the green water spots are everywhere. Have no idea how to fix them.
    Afaik, DLTCEP will only consider full rows of tiles after specifying the map dimensions. Since the last row contains only the few additional tiles for open doors and such, it will be skipped in the conversion process. I haven't tested the method mentioned in the tutorial yet, so I can't say much about it.

You could try your luck with NearInfinity instead. It can export TIS files as well, including the additional tiles. Just select the desired TIS file in the tree view and click on Export->"as PNG" at the bottom in the view area.
    You can also use NI for creating a new TIS file of your modified map afterwards. It's available under menu Tools->Convert->"Image to TIS". Just make sure to specify the correct tile count, to prevent missing or excess tiles in the resulting TIS file.

The green color for overlayed water is indeed problematic. NI converts it into transparent pixels instead, but it still stands out in the end. NI's area viewer can display maps correctly though. It doesn't provide a screenshot option, but by using the "Print Screen" key of your keyboard to copy the relevant portions into the clipboard, you can manually fix the water issues in your graphics editor.
    Thank you. I've downloaded the latest NI. I'll try to do so.
    edited August 2014
    @argent77
    I've done the cave. Everything is working. Thanx
    But I run into overlay problems.
    <
    Could you tell what is the problem here?
    I guess I saved the png image wrong...
    I only have Photoshop 5 (the image saved by PS5 gets an error exporting into the game with NI), Adobe Photostudio and InfranView.
    It worked fine in my tests (using Photoshop CS4 and GIMP). Did you make sure to preserve transparency during the whole process of editing?
    argent77 said:

It worked fine in my tests (using Photoshop CS4 and GIMP). Did you make sure to preserve transparency during the whole process of editing?

save for web -> png-8 -> click transparensy -> done -> save

Maybe I should do something before exporting the PNG from the game?
    edited August 2014
    PNG-8 is probably the culprit. Save the image as truecolor with transparency. In Photoshop CS4 you can use the regular "Save as..." and select the PNG file format from the list. I don't know if this format is already available in Photoshop 5 though.
    argent77 said:

PNG-8 is probably the culprit. Save the image as truecolor with transparency. In Photoshop CS4 you can use the regular "Save as..." and select the PNG file format from the list. I don't know if this format is already available in Photoshop 5 though.

Installed GIMP and everything is OK. Nice soft BTW. Thanx again.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Did you do the images for the Dungeons in the OP or are they from IWD?