Skip to content

Minsc: Full Plate and Packing Steel

So I'm guessing He wants to be in full plate instead of leather armor? Seems like it's the optimum way to play him... :P
TethorilofLathander

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Definitely.
    The BG system doesn't apply any dexterity penalties for armour, so you'll pretty much want to give everyone the heaviest stuff they can wear.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    Only time I ever give him a leather armor is if it's the Shadow Dragon Armor or something which has an AC of 1, which makes it one of the best armors early game.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    edited August 2014
    Southpaw said:

Walstafa said:

Strange... he didn't seemed to mind when I let him charge naked into battle.

"Full Plate and Packing Steel" is more than a state of dress, it's a state of mind.

...maybe he just meant that he is a big eater and got his muscle by packing steel into small, neatly wrapped packs for transport...
    "Eat good and work hard"
    -Minsc
    Post edited by Calmar on
    WalstafaSouthpawElrandir
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Full plate helps him sink faster after you kick him overboard.
    MeanbunnyBlackraven
  • MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    edited August 2014
    I never really understood why Minsc was a ranger. He just felt so much more like a fighter to me. Now don't get me wrong, I realize he is a great front liner and he is overly capable of being a tank/meatshield, but the fact that he is actually a ranger seemed a little odd. This may sound super nooby of me, but I don't think I have ever used any of Minsc's spells other than berserk. Maybe because he doesn't get any druid spells until late BG1 or in BG2? I guess the backstory and lore for Minsc would explain his ranger background though. Sadly, as long as I have been a fan of the BG series, I really haven't taken the time to read the backstory behind all these totally awesome characters. I should probably do that soon. >.<
    Blackraven
  • RandyMcStudRandyMcStud Member Posts: 71
    @ Meanbunny, at higher caster levels (bare in mind that rangers have cast as 7 levels lower than their class level I believe), armour of faith is definitely worth using. Otherwise, no, his spell choices arent great. There was a mod that changed him into a berserker ranger kit, allowing his rage to be used multiple times a day at the cost of his spell casting, but I havent been able to get kit mods to work with enhanced edition (I tried the generic archer kit).
    Blackraven
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    There's nothing nooby about that post @Meanbunny. Or if there is, I've felt nooby for a long time. You are right in that Minsc doesn't "feel" to me like a ranger. I would have gone barbi myself, but were barbis in the original? I don't think so. It might have been a "Next best fit" type of thing. He isn't exactly a 'Fighter', but within that vein. Or it might just have been someone's nutty idea.

Totally off topic, but i've been watching SW:Clone wars and I always love it when Hondo shows up. I am still waiting for him to break out with "Full Plate and Packing Steel". I am sure they could have woven that into something he was doing and made it make sense. Sort of an Easter egg for fans of both.
    MeanbunnyElrandir
  • RandyMcStudRandyMcStud Member Posts: 71
    No, barbarians werent in BG1. It had no kits, no barbarian, no sorcerer and no monk. I suspect that had barbarians been in BG1, Minsc would be one.
    MeanbunnyElrandir