Skip to content

Obsidian have the Pathfinder License!

TomeTome Member Posts: 466
Following text taken directly from the facebook announcement.

OBSIDIAN ANNOUNCES PATHFINDER LICENSE

Obsidian to partner with Paizo Inc. to release electronic Pathfinder games.

INDIANAPOLIS -- August 13, 2014 -- Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: the Stick of Truth and the Kickstarter phenomenon Pillars of Eternity, announced that they have entered into a long-term licensing partnership with Paizo Inc. to produce electronic games based on its popular Pathfinder Roleplaying Game intellectual property

Obsidian's first licensed product will be a tablet game based on the highly successful Pathfinder Adventure Card game, a cooperative game for 1 to 4 players. Players each have a unique character composed of a deck of cards and a set of stats. Characters have classes such as fighter, rogue, wizard and cleric, as well as numbers that define attributes such as strength, wisdom and charisma etc. Players will be able to customize their deck to better suit each individual’s vision of their character.

"At Obsidian we have a long history of working with the greatest RPG franchises, and we're thrilled to get to play in the Pathfinder universe now," said CEO Feargus Urquhart. "We're huge fans and can't wait to bring what we do in the electronic gaming world to Pathfinder fans everywhere".

In the world of Pathfinder, players take on the role of brave adventurers fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil. The Pathfinder RPG is currently translated into multiple languages, with hundreds of thousands of players worldwide. The Pathfinder brand has also been licensed for comic book series, graphic novels, miniatures, plush toys, apparel, and is being developed into a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.

"Obsidian is a video game developer at the top of its game", said Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens. "Being able to bring that type of experience and passion to Pathfinder can only mean great things, both for our loyal Pathfinder community and for all fans of great CRPG's."

Obsidian will be at Gen Con 2014 showing off an early prototype of the digital Pathfinder Adventure Card Game in the Paizo booth (#203) and in their own booth (#2151) featuring the first consumer hands on for Pillars of Eternity.

While I doubt many of us will be overly hyped for the card game, this partnership sounds like it could lead to some beautiful things further down the line.

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    In before them saying they can't make something like the infinity engine games because they're too hard for the modern gamer...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Isn't Pathfinder the codename for the D&D IP where they decided to push the reset button, kill off most the gods, merge all the elf races, explode magic and remove any semblance of classes? Yeah I can hardly contain my excitement.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

Isn't Pathfinder the codename for the D&D IP where they decided to push the reset button, kill off most the gods, merge all the elf races, explode magic and remove any semblance of classes? Yeah I can hardly contain my excitement.

As far as I know... Pathfinder isn't technically D&D... It is a D20 based system of it's own that's very much based on 3e D&D...
    Kaltzor said:

As far as I know... Pathfinder isn't technically D&D... It is a D20 based system of it's own that's very much based on 3e D&D...
    Thank you for the clarification. This might indeed be good news then!
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    To cover a few worries/misconceptions:

Obsidian is currently making Pillars of Eternity, which is as close to an Infinity Engine game with regards to mechanics and design as we're going to get from a modern game. Thus it seems unlikely (although still possible) that they'll not make something similar for Pathfinder.

Pathfinder is very similar to a more balanced 3.5e (although i still slightly prefer 3.5e). Classes do exist and are mechanically similar to 3.5e although a lot of classic exploits are fixed-and new ones are added! For example, their equivalent to a Favored Soul has a totally legal way to learn any arcane spell temporarily on the fly, making them even better at versatility than a Wizard in some ways. It has a lot of gods, different subraces, etc.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm not particularly excited by these news. Firstly, they seem to be aiming towards the mobile audience, a type if game Im not particularly interested in, and secondly, Pathfinder has grown to become a bit of a monster over the years, pretty much akin to what to hoe 3,5 developed. I've said before that Pathfinder is in need of an overhaul of it's own by now. I'm not sure how it would work in a game. Cutting it down and rebalancing things might help it a bit.

@Silverstar - the name of that setting would be Forgotten Realms. The same that BG takes place in. Although a lot of that seems to be retconned back with the new DnD edition.
    scriver said:

the name of that setting would be Forgotten Realms.

Shush, no it isn't!

*plugs ears, closes eyes and goes "lalalalala!"*
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Kaltzor‌
    They're making a game that looks a lot like an Infinity Engine game, as Tome mentioned.

scriver said:

@Silverstar - the name of that setting would be Forgotten Realms. The same that BG takes place in. Although a lot of that seems to be retconned back with the new DnD edition.

If you're referring to 4E Forgotten Realms, here, yeah, a lot of gods were killed off, just like in the Time of Troubles. Magic exploded, pretty much just like in the Time of Troubles. The elf races weren't merged. The "semblance of classes" weren't removed. The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide even added a new class, the Swordmage, to fill a Bladesinger/Spellblade type of role.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    This is potentially good news. I quite like Pathfinder, despite the fact that it suffers from many of the same problems as D&D3e (i.e. very munchkin friendly and encourages powergaming), and Obsidian are the guys making Pillars of Eternity, so it looks like at least some of their number have a passion for old school RPGs. I'd be interested to see what they can come up with, though the mobile/tablet games hold no interest for me.
    edited August 2014
    I feel that, while they may be starting off slow with this card game, this does open up the possibility of a Neverwinter Nights-like Pathfinder game, or even something more BGesque. That excites me.
    Post edited by Schneidend on
    Also, guys, every D&D system benefits munchkins. That's not new.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited August 2014
    Link: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rd8x&page=4?Pathfinder-Computer-Game-to-be-revealed-at#173
    There will be a CRPG (non-MMO). Just no details to announce right now. Our deal with Obsidian is a long term partnership. I expect there will be many games over the coming years. The card game app was easier for them to get up running fast. There will even be a demo at our booth at GenCon. But there are other plans that will be revealed in time.

Super excited that this is finally public! Looking forward to working with Obsidian on a bunch of awesome Pathfinder games!
    So something other than mobile games are planned for the future, apparently. I don't know much about Pathfinder, but honestly the setting won't matter much if they make a fun and interesting game. The more RPGs the better!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Pathfinder is a decent system, very close to D&D 3.5 at present. There are of course a bunch of new classes, prestige classes, spells and feats but it plays similarly. Paizo have their own standard fantasy setting too: Golarion.

The news of Obsidian having the rights is very interesting indeed. Given that there hasn't been a really great original D&D computer game in over a decade things are due a shake-up.
    Corvino said:

Given that there hasn't been a really great original D&D computer game in over a decade things are due a shake-up.

But there's the amazing Dungeons & Dragons Online and Neverwinter. :O

Ouch. Typing that made my brain hurt.

Corvino said:

Given that there hasn't been a really great original D&D computer game in over a decade things are due a shake-up.

But there's the amazing Dungeons & Dragons Online and Neverwinter. :O

Ouch. Typing that made my brain hurt.
    In DDO's defense, it at least makes the attempt to replicate D&D rules, while Neverwinter, which was originally promising to be more like a cross between Neverwinter Nights and Diablo using 4th Edition rules, made a switch over to being a generic MMO with a D&D skin. Tragic, really. It had such potential.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    kcwise said:

Link: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rd8x&page=4?Pathfinder-Computer-Game-to-be-revealed-at#173

There will be a CRPG (non-MMO). Just no details to announce right now. Our deal with Obsidian is a long term partnership. I expect there will be many games over the coming years.

imagehttp://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/06/yassss-gif.gif