Skip to content

Raise the default value of pathfinding!

CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
Wouldn't it be better if the 'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '%numeric_value%', option in the baldur.ini is set to 400,000 by default instead of the actual 32,000?

Comments

• FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited August 2014
    And the introduction of 'Game Options', 'Enhanced Path Search', '1', with a default value of 1. This should cause the game to periodically recalculate the path of moving characters. This would eliminate situations where a character starts taking a drastically less than optimal route due to a temporary blockage at some narrow gap, and then continues along the sub-optimal route even if the blockage has since cleared.

Both these changes should significantly improve path finding/negate situations where a character starts walking all the way around a large building/object to get on the other side of a temporary blockade. I can somewhat understand not doing this for tablet devices as this probably raises the minimum CPU requirements a bit.
    Post edited by Franpa on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Franpa‌ actually, I'd better left that in the baldur.ini, but with a default value of 0, so you can acknowledge it exists and change it by yourself.

Computers nowadays have more than the 16 MB of ram and 0,4 GHz required to play BG1, so I don't know why that couldn't be set to 400k instead, but that option revamps the way pathfinding is implemented (and really, it doesn't improve much) in the game, making it more (as you guessed) cpu and ram consuming.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    CrevsDaak said:

512 MB of ram

Fixed that for you; remember that BG:EE is a more modern implementation of the Infinity Engine, and its system requirements are necessarily higher.

As for why we don't automatically set the pathfinding nodes to 400,000, Franpa has it more or less correct, that doing so would cripple the iOS version's performance.
    @Dee‌ I was actually referring to the original BG1. ;)
    Dee said:

As for why we don't automatically set the pathfinding nodes to 400,000, Franpa has it more or less correct, that doing so would cripple the iOS version's performance.

Oh, well then. Maybe add the information about this to the Manual(s)? So people can actually change this without having to log in into the forums and read a thread started like the psycho who made this one (that Crevs Daak guy… he is surely crazy!).
    edited August 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

Computers nowadays have more than the 16 MB of ram and 0,4 GHz required to play BG1, so I don't know why that couldn't be set to 400k instead, but that option revamps the way pathfinding is implemented (and really, it doesn't improve much) in the game, making it more (as you guessed) cpu and ram consuming.

@CrevsDaak Increasing the number of nodes used in path finding doesn't resolve situations involving a bottleneck, characters choosing a sub-optimal route because the bottleneck is blocked, and maintaining the sub-optimal route long after the optimal route has cleared up (If it is still the optimal route based on their new current location, of course).

I do think this function would be more beneficial then increasing the number of nodes used, as it essentially refactors the existing path every so often which mitigates a lot of the issues involving taking a long route with few path finding nodes, as well as dealing with the previously mentioned bottleneck issue. So as the character nears their destination the pathing becomes more and more optimal as it periodically recalculates the progressively shorter path to the destination.

I would say a default of around 120,000 search nodes and the corrective pathing option enabled would resolve many issues with the path finding without drastically increasing the system requirements. Anything beyond this wouldn't yield anywhere near as much of a benefit, even for long journeys, it would however drastically increase the system requirements.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    IIRC, 32000 was the maximum value you could set for path-finding in the original BG, have Overhaul raised this limit?

Also, is the enhanced path search a feature request, or something I should be adding to my .ini file today?!
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    @GreenWarlock‌ "Enhanced Path Search" is already implemented, but you have to manually add the line to the baldur.ini.

As a side note, this option only appears to improve pathfinding for regular party members. Familiars and controlled creatures are left out for some reason.
    edited August 2014

Also, is the enhanced path search a feature request, or something I should be adding to my .ini file today?!

You can add it right now and it should work with v1.2.

Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga which is the main game and the expansion pack packaged on to 3 CD's, and Baldur's Gate II both increased the maximum value for the search nodes setting (Beyond 32,000).
    @GreenWarlock‌ 400,000 was (and is) a possible setting for vanilla BG2. Not sure about BG1.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    CrevsDaak said:

@GreenWarlock‌ 400,000 was (and is) a possible setting for vanilla BG2. Not sure about BG1.

after one of the patches you could crank it to 400 000, my vanilla bg1 games are at 400 000