Skip to content

A nice tactic for Narcillicus encounter in Valley of the Tombs [BG1] [Spoiler]

Narcillicus, or rather the two Mustard Jellies he summons, is one of the more difficult challenges faced in Chapters 1-3. The Mustard Jellies have a high Magic Resistance, Piercing Resistance and ordinary weapons have little effect on them. They also have a potent offensive Breath Weapon and can put meleers in Slow-motion.

But they are each worth 2000XP and Narcillicus, who is much more easily subdued, is worth 1400XP with several nice Mage spells. So figuring this one out is very worthwhile even if it requires a Power Word: Reload or two. Even so a Level 2-3 Party may be stymied.

One way I recently discovered of finessing the encounter is as follows:

Before having a go at Narcillicus, head South and then East when you first encounter Cactus, clear out any bad guys who may have spawned near the entrance to the Ghast Tomb. You do not want them in your way when you return. Then head back to the area where Narcillicus is to be found ~approaching from his SE.

Choose the dialogue options which turn him hostile and results in the 2 Mustard Jellies. Ignore them for now. Concentrate all your firepower on Narcillicus who should go down quickly if you have good ranged attackers [high dex]. Now beat a hasty retreat back to the Ghast Tomb before the slow-moving Jellies can spew their Breath Weapon. Enter.

Handling that encounter is not so easy but after doing so one has plenty of time to prepare for the Mustard Jellies who are by now encamped immediately outside still waiting to devour you. But that is a good thing because you can straight-away engage in melee where they are not quite so deadly. Plus you can have a Cleric already posted nearby for Healing duties and perhaps a 3rd attacker armed with Quarterstaff, Halberd or other [Magical] weapon which has a longer reach. Not sure whether Flails have that feature.

Hope this helps!

Comments

• Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Doink!! Now that I am away from the game all sorts of possibilities are coming to mind..

What about the Darts of Wounding from Ankheg Cave although there might be a much better use of them later on [20pts Poison dmg in 20secs]. And I wonder whether a certain Potion that Thalantyr sells could be used to Firebomb them to death. Anyone know if that works. If not I have a playthrough going which will be doing Valley of Tombs in a few days and it already has the potion.

Another possibility for a later playthrough with a Level 5 Mage is Skull Trap. I am assuming that Wand of Fire is ineffective.

I am a certifiable Tactics and Manouvers-Geek, BTW....
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Do mustard jellies take damage from Magic Missiles? I know they have in one of my games, but I was never sure if it was a bug or not. It was a good way to use up MM wands that aren't worth selling.

Make damn sure you've cleared all the local skeletons because if they attack from behind while you are fighting Narcillicus and co, you are toast!

Take out the wizard first - always do that as they can render members of your party totally ineffective.

This is how I dealt with the jellies. Tanks in front, hopefully at least one with a magic weapon, healers in the middle to keep the tanks alive, and mage at the back zonking away like mad.

But I really like the cave idea - and if you scouted with a stealthy, sneaky theif it's perfectly legit, and not meta gaming at all. Honest. Really.
    Play-test reveals

that the game will arrange your party in a perverse manner when it emerges from the Ghast cave. Fortunately it is possible to note carefully that arrangement and make plans for a better party order. Then, with the game still 'paused' click to re-enter the Ghast Tomb and should be no problem.

With my full party I elected the following, exiting the Tomb in sequential pairs so the Jellies would be focused on my better armored NPCs. Then after a few rounds I brought out my Cleric to be ready for healing needs.
    edited August 2014
    @Abi_Dalzim -Agree about the Level 4 and at least -2AC. I generally RP that Charname and Party return to Nashkel after completing Chapter 2 without discovering or suspecting the back-door. Only later does it come to light that there must have been a rear entrance through which Mulahey's operatives came and went. The Valley of Tombs adventure is mostly searching for signs of a hidden base and possible Amnish connections in my RP mind.

In that context, running into the tough battle with the foursome that has apparently been tracking them, plays right into the plot line that there is more to be discovered locally about the entire web of circumstances in which Charname is trying to overcome his unknown enemies.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Shillelagh spell (lvl 1 cleric/druid) creates a nice magical wooden club that can smash the jellies, too. You need magical bludgeoning or slashing weapons:piercing and missile are ineffective.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    And if all else fails, there's always the almost game-breakingly powerful wand of paralyzation as well for Narcillicus.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The mustard jelly attacks, although ranged, count as a crushing attack so use a Potion of Absorption (an extra -10 AC versus crushing) and/or Destroyer of the Hills (an extra -4 AC versus crushing). If you close to melee, the jellies get an extra -8 to the attack due to its ranged nature, making it highly unlikely they can hit you. Their only real vulnerabilities are to acid or fire and they aren't terribly resistant to slashing or crushing attacks. You will need magical weapons with which to successfully attack them, though, as @lunar already notes.
    edited August 2014
    Another feature of the tactic is:

the availability of an instant Sanctuary for your melee stalwarts should anyone get close to seriously wounded condition. So make sure your NPCs don't take it into their heads to reposition themselves more than a step or two from the tomb. Unless for the backstabbing feat mentioned above.

Of course that only helps if you have Potions of Healing or CLWounds loaded. A single tank with Ashideena or Varscona and Strength Potion could probably pull it off with only a couple of retreats for healing.

Or, how could I forget, the awesomeness of Goodberries. I mean, really, Mustard Jellies and Goodberries! It does not get any better than that!! ~Cheers!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2014

I mean, really, Mustard Jellies and Goodberries! It does not get any better than that!!

Just make sure you have a potion of antidote to wash it down with, lol.